DOA 2GB Pine
(06-16-2016, 08:44 AM)Havensal Wrote: How did you burn the images to the card?  I hear Rufus works better than the phoenix card software.   I ran into intermittent issues with phoenix card myself.

There are two main ways:

One is using PhoenixCard to burn images meant specifically for PhoenixCard.

The other is to burn a DD image. This can be done either via text command in a terminal on Linux-based systems and Macs, or using gui software such as Win32DiskImager or Rufus on Windows PCs.

Please indicate which operating system you wish to use.
I got my board last night and had the no HDMI issue. I went back and downloaded the Ubuntu Longstreet build updated by Pine: http://files.pine64.org/os/ubuntu/xubunt...64-8GB.zip

I used Win32DiskImager and wrote the image: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Inserted the SD card and powered it up and it worked great!
I used dd (well, techincally I used pv (pipe view) and then piped into dd, as I do with *all* my images for sd cards... pi etc.)

n.b. I build openstack clouds, I know what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff.

The board is dead.

Great if it works for $RANDOM people posting on this, you've not really added anything useful though.

No reply from anyone from Pine, so yea, this is sell it and run attitude. Never again.
(06-29-2016, 07:50 AM)mrgoose Wrote: I used dd (well, techincally I used pv (pipe view) and then piped into dd, as I do with *all* my images for sd cards... pi etc.)

With due respect, if you used pv, you did not do it correctly; 

... dd does not need pv; don't understand why you would do that. Try building the image with the dd command (use a mac, or use a gnu+linux machine). 

I doubt *very* seriously if that board is DOA...

marcus

This hardware is solid. its NOT coming up randomly for a few people (the board works, and it works well) thousands of these boards are running all over the world, and not just randomly.

edit: PS, I have now tested all images-- they all work, and they all work out-of-box; if you follow instructions. pv is not in any of the instructions.
If you don't know why he used pv, why are you dismissing him so quickly? Adding a pipe or two to dd does not influence the stream of data written to the card.

It's great that your board works but it's getting a bit annoying when you dismiss everyone with problems as computer illiterates. MrGoose clearly states that he used dd, thus he's already using Linux or OSX.

Every production run has lemons, some are found during testing but you just can't find them all.
Backer #16374 - KS funded January 23rd 2016 - Backerkit funded on March 10th 2016 - BOARD RECEIVED ON JUNE 29th - BACKERKIT ORDER FULFILLED ON SEPT 8th
(06-29-2016, 09:47 AM)bonterra Wrote: If you don't know why he used pv, why are you dismissing him so quickly? 

Because he didn't follow instructions, and because including pv in the mix is stupid.

marcus

edit : PS and your comment regarding whether I have received my board is a red-herring. We aren't talking about whether anyone has received their board or not, we are discussing whether *anyone* can follow directions to get the proper results. If the person admits they didn't follow directions and their results don't flesh out, well, what can I say.........
PV monitors the data transfer rate, no more no less. It does not alter the data transferred.

Why don't you try it yourself?
Backer #16374 - KS funded January 23rd 2016 - Backerkit funded on March 10th 2016 - BOARD RECEIVED ON JUNE 29th - BACKERKIT ORDER FULFILLED ON SEPT 8th
(06-29-2016, 11:46 AM)bonterra Wrote: PV monitors the data transfer rate, no more no less. It does not alter the data transferred.

Why don't you try it yourself?

it is not possible to monitor the transfer rate without altering (or buffering) the dataflow... which indirectly affects the rate, which indirectly affects the SPI connection to the SD card. 

But you are failing to see my point... it 'changes' the parameters of the build... the obvious thing to do, if one is genuinely interested in making the board work, is to remove the pv from the equation and retry; how hard is that?

Simple; follow the instructions and see what happens. We had a similar argument with a gent last week who claimed that "he tried everything" and the board was "dead on arrival"....  no it wasn't. He had not followed instructions, and when he did, his board worked fine...

marcus
One "stupid" Q: Is DL-ed file extracted (decompressed) ???? if not everything you put on disk is no working by default. Smile
it is interesting that no one from pine64 has responded.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,487 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PINE A64 Ubuntu 18 or 20 IMG with touchscreen? burningkrome 0 544 04-29-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Pine A64 does only boot with Android 5.1 Dude 6 3,744 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Dude
  Pine A64+ vs LCD do not boot DDS 3 5,848 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: thedu
  Autodetect if Pine unit is a Pine A64+ or PineA64-LTS pkfpeters 1 3,232 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine 64 | 2GB x2 & Acrylic Cases x2 for Sale | Canada - GTA ViperVi 1 4,410 01-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: squidius
  sd format?for pine 64 angegardien 3 7,593 12-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: junkyj753
  Node Red on the Pine DonFL 0 2,725 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Last Post: DonFL
Photo Pine A64+ from Kick starter running Pi-Hole netHolio 0 3,199 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: netHolio
  NetBSD for Pine A64(+) Luke 3 6,586 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree