Screen dying already?
(06-11-2021, 10:33 AM)503d Wrote: To fix this I'll have to order part, hot air station, and learn how to do that.

FYI, the only thing you'll need to order is the replacement screen (and a screwdriver with a sufficiently-sized Philips head if you don't have one already), there's a guide on the PINE64 wiki that does mention loosening glue with some heat, but says a hair dryer should be sufficient, no need to order a hot air station.
And there's still no official statement by PINE64 on the many devective screens? A little support, or recplacement screens with guaranteed bonding quality, or something?
(06-13-2021, 02:37 AM)Uturn Wrote: And there's still no official statement by PINE64 on the many devective screens? A little support, or recplacement screens with guaranteed bonding quality, or something?

Still nothing, unfortunately. I myself, and a few other in the threat, tried opening a ticket with PINE64 about it, not even a response acknowledging that they received the ticket. Really not a good look for them... Confused
Adding another to the bunch...

I read about this issue occurring about a month ago, checked but didn't see any deformations and parsed myself lucky. Yesterday however i noticed the issue starting in the right top corner of the display. Everything is still functional for the moment.

The phone has been my daily driver (light usage) from January this year on. I'm very careful with the device in terms of heat and direct sunlight (i owned a nexus 5x where it's SOC came lose from the board by heat). Average humidity and ambient temperature it sat in would be ~30% and 21-33 degrees. It had 2-3 drops from low height in its lifetime, not on the side showing the issue.
This is actually a big problem for everyone that wants to try to use Pinephone as a daily driver. These are still individual cases, mostly on the CE, but it would be nice to see some information about the issue from Pine64, especially if the Beta has less endangered screen etc.
A little update (don't want spam), over the course of a day the issue has worsened noticeably, moving away from origin. The timing is interesting. Weather has been suddenly been very hot here over the last week, thats why i included the 33 in my last post (even maxing out to 36), everything before that was sub 26 for the phones ambient living environment.
Yesterday : small drop on the parquet floor. No visible defect, the glass is not broken. But now, I'm not able to give my passphrase to unlock the PinePhone. All vertical line associate to the digit '3' is not responsive. It was the first drop of my PinePhone.

I must try to open the phone and check the connections. I hope it's something so simple.

But if the existing defect of my screen ('Manjaro CE edition' use as daily phone) weaken the phone it's a problem.
Update (edited the first post with this too):

The delamination has spread over the last 3 months and has gotten to the point where large chunks of the screen stopped responding to touch input and I'm no longer able to unlock my SIM card (the bottom left part of the screen where you switch between letters and numbers on the OSK isn't responding). Below are the photos of the final state of the screen.

I'm packing and sending my phone off to PINE64 for an RMA as we speak after contacting them via their ticketing system. Here's what the support representative told me after receiving photos of the screen upon their request:
PINE64 support Wrote:As per the LCD screen issue, you are required to ship the PinePhone without battery and accessories to the below address. As our engineer would like to find the root cause of the issue.
If you've encountered the issue as well, feel free to let others know in this thread but please also contact PINE64 support with photos of your screen, it'll likely be helpful if they receive more reports and faulty screens to investigate.
(07-07-2021, 03:00 AM)marcih Wrote: I'm packing and sending my phone off to PINE64 for an RMA as we speak after contacting them via their ticketing system. Here's what the support representative told me after receiving photos of the screen upon their request:

PINE64 support Wrote:As per the LCD screen issue, you are required to ship the PinePhone without battery and accessories to the below address. As our engineer would like to find the root cause of the issue.

This is actually good news, because it means that the screen delamination issue is slowly becoming officially recognized by Pine64.  Let's hope that sending over a few affected PinePhones will allow Pine64 to get to the bottom of this issue.
(07-05-2021, 12:39 AM)Gribouille Wrote: Yesterday : small drop on the parquet floor. No visible defect, the glass is not broken. But now, I'm not able to give my passphrase to unlock the PinePhone. All vertical line associate to the digit '3' is not responsive. It was the first drop of my PinePhone.

I must try to open the phone and check the connections. I hope it's something so simple.

But if the existing defect of my screen ('Manjaro CE edition' use as daily phone) weaken the phone it's a problem.

Hello,

I've open and check all connectors in the PinePhone, controlled visually the screen : the complete vertical line corresponding to the digit '3' is not responding anymore. You can see the  last picture (07-10-2021, today) of my screen. I've added the links on the previous pictures to compare the evolution of the delamination issue.

If the screen has a defect, a broken area, it's the area that doesn't respond. Not a complete perfect vertical line.

The little drop was enough to finish the delamination issue.

This post https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid97016 seems to show that the screen itself is robust. And show that the capacitive part can continue to be usable.

The previous pictures :
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...1#pid93461
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...1#pid95531

Update : I've make a ticket to the support.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 374 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,329 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,140 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,630 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,726 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 4,007 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,184 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,276 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,221 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Top of screen and USB port malfunctioning Severinus 0 1,085 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Severinus