Screen dying already?
A small manual for noobs like me to lower the temperature values (please correct me if I made a mistake):
on mobian:
First install sysfsutils: sudo apt install sysfsutils

Check service status: systemctl status sysfsutils

Ensure the service is enabled at boot: systemctl is-enabled sysfsutils

Change the values (like the post above in millidegree Celsius), sudo password is needed:

echo -e "class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp = 45000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp = 65000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp = 90000" | sudo tee /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf

Restart sysfsutil: sudo systemctl restart sysfsutils
As a note, you should have put all three settings into the same configuration file, for example into /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf.  There's no real need or benefit from having three separate configuration files.
Hello,

I think that I have the same problem, it is some little marks for the moment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-25-2021, 01:31 PM)Gribouille Wrote: Hello,

I think that I have the same problem, it is some little marks for the moment.

That indeed does look like the same problem. It started out the same on mine, just not on the edges but in the middle.
After a lengthy chat session with @megous (Ondrej), the conclusion is that the screen delamination issue could be very well related to the heat generated by the CPU, which of course cannot be known for sure, at least for now.  This issue has also been brought to the attention of Pine64, thanks to @xalius, and the PinePhone production team will investigate the issue.

However, it's better to be on the safe side.  This issue might be simply a result of a bad batch of phones, which used bad or weak glue, but it's much better to have more restrictive CPU throttling configured on hundreds of phones, as a preventative measure, than to have dozens of screens damaged.  Maybe the heat isn't the root cause, but changing software settings is cheap, while replacing damaged screens isn't.

In other words, it's highly advisable that everyone configures more restrictive CPU throttling on their PinePhones, and reports back their experience (CPU temperature, how hot the screen feels to the touch, is there a noticeable slowdown, etc.) with different values for the CPU throttling parameters.  Based on the reports, changes will be made in the Linux kernel tree maintained by Ondrej, so the more restrictive CPU throttling eventually becomes the default.

There are even some plans for implementing system-wide dynamic thermal throttling, which would involve other components of the phone besides the CPU, but let's not jump the gun yet. Smile  This would also improve the overall safety of the phone.

Edit: This document provides a comprehensive insight into the thermal issues encountered in mobile devices, i.e. smartphones.
Thread stuck
The screen damage resembles the damage of liquid of other LCD-based phone screens, see for example https://i.imgur.com/0p4p26V.jpeg for a similar liquid-damaged screen. There are thermal safety-related warnings in the wiki now (see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#Thermal_Safety), I would exclude damage to the UV glue itself at these low temperatures as possible cause in any way however.

It's possible that these are bad apples, considering the low amount of reports of similar issues. Replacement screens can be bought under https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-5-9...ch-screen/ if you want to spare Pine some money, if not you can open a ticket under sales@ in case of a fault already existing insidiously.
(04-26-2021, 08:06 AM)fxc Wrote: The screen damage resembles the damage of liquid of other LCD-based phone screens, see for example https://i.imgur.com/0p4p26V.jpeg for a similar liquid-damaged screen. There are thermal safety-related warnings in the wiki now (see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#Thermal_Safety), I would exclude damage to the UV glue itself at these low temperatures as possible cause in any way however.

It's possible that these are bad apples, considering the low amount of reports of similar issues. Replacement screens can be bought under https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-5-9...ch-screen/ if you want to spare Pine some money, if not you can open a ticket under sales@ in case of a fault already existing insidiously.

My phone never got wet. I never asked pine to fix or replace it. I simply bought another one. Cool
(04-25-2021, 05:11 PM)dsimic Wrote: In other words, it's highly advisable that everyone configures more restrictive CPU throttling on their PinePhones, and reports back their experience (CPU temperature, how hot the screen feels to the touch, is there a noticeable slowdown, etc.) with different values for the CPU throttling parameters.  Based on the reports, changes will be made in the Linux kernel tree maintained by Ondrej, so the more restrictive CPU throttling eventually becomes the default.

I've started by setting the thermal trip points on my PinePhone (Manjaro Phosh, stable branch) to 45°C, 60°C and 75°C respectively.

Reason for the upper limit being so low is that I did once accidentally reach it by stupidly putting some clothes on top my phone, which was on the charger and had a compile job running; needless to say, the whole phone was searing-hot at only 75°C, which couldn't have been healthy for it. I must add that this was around Christmas time and the delamination didn't start until April.

The only adjustment I felt like I had to make was bumping up the "passive" point up to 50°C because I experienced stutters when watching 720p videos YouTube videos using FreeTube that weren't present before and (seem to) have gone again after the bump. Even at 50°C the phone still doesn't feel too hot, so I think it's okay.

(04-26-2021, 08:06 AM)fxc Wrote: It's possible that these are bad apples, considering the low amount of reports of similar issues. Replacement screens can be bought under https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-5-9...ch-screen/ if you want to spare Pine some money, if not you can open a ticket under sales@ in case of a fault already existing insidiously.

Has anyone gotten a word on whether it's a defect and whether they'd be willing to ship a replacement screen to those affected? I ask this because I already have quite the shopping list for the PINE store and they're all currently in stock (doesn't happen often) and I wouldn't want to order a replacement screen just to find out afterwards that they would've given me a one.
(04-22-2021, 05:20 AM)Fish Wrote: A small manual for noobs like me to lower the temperature values (please correct me if I made a mistake):
on mobian:
First install sysfsutils: sudo apt install sysfsutils

Check service status: systemctl status sysfsutils

Ensure the service is enabled at boot: systemctl is-enabled sysfsutils

Change the values (like the post above in millidegree Celsius), sudo password is needed:

echo -e "class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp = 45000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp = 65000\nclass/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp = 90000" | sudo tee /etc/sysfs.d/throttling.conf

Restart sysfsutil: sudo systemctl restart sysfsutils

Expanding the guide above by adding a more "modern" (read: "systemd-centric") way of doing the same thing using systemd's tmpfiles, something that Arch and Manjaro users need to do due to the lack of a sysfsutils init script or service unit. I'm sure there's also a way to do this using udev rules, but I'm not that familiar with those (yet Wink).

You'll want to create a configuration file in "/etc/tmpfiles.d/". Using the one-liner from the original post, we would have:

echo -e "w /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp - - - - 45000\nw /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp - - - - 65000\nw /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp - - - - 90000" | sudo tee /etc/tmpfiles.d/throttling.conf

Your "/etc/tmpfiles.d/throttling.conf" file should then look like this:

Code:
w /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp - - - - 45000
w /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp - - - - 65000
w /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp - - - - 90000

Now either reboot your phone or run "sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create" to apply the settings.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 270 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,123 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 2,960 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,480 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,632 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,866 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 28,466 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,183 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,112 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Top of screen and USB port malfunctioning Severinus 0 1,034 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Severinus