Screen dying already?
I've commented the blog of September : https://www.pine64.org/2021/09/15/septem...successes/

But always nothing from Pine64  Sad  I've expected something about the hardware support in the last blog. I wasn't waiting a free screen announced in the blog for September. But more something like how they expect to manage the hardware problems that inevitably appears, because with a so small production and a cost so low, it's predictable. It is not the question to criticize this, I will not buy something only to test or play with it if the cost is 2 or 3 higher.
@Gribouille the thread is stickied for months, it's right on top. Please keep to the topic.
I have a Manjaro CE from the first batch shipped out that has the same problem that started across the top of the screen from both corners and has been growing slowly worse over the last 4-5 months. Never dropped, gotten wet, cleaned with alcohol, or otherwise abused. I think the problem started when Phosh was having some thermal management issues about that same time.  Those problems seem to have been fixed, my phone does not seem to get nearly as hot for the last few months but the defect has continued to grow all the way around the edges now. I think my best strategy is to buy a new screen now (the price is very reasonable and while they are available), but I will wait to actually replace it until my screen it worse and the thermal management is handled more reliably across all the distros. And in the meantime make sure to check on the thermal limits for whichever distro I'm trying out at the moment.
I have the same issue, KDE CE
Update:

I purchased and received a -001 revision screen from the Pine Store to replace my failing -002 screen one year old Pinephone. Hopefully the older -001 rev. level will not exhibit this defect. An unexpected plus of tearing down and re-assembling my phone is my GPS is now working well for the first time ever: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid102082
Are there any updates on this? Has the cause of this problem been discovered, and are new devices at least less likely to contain the fault? I'm considering ordering soon and wanted to ask again before deciding.
(10-31-2021, 12:16 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Are there any updates on this? Has the cause of this problem been discovered, and are new devices at least less likely to contain the fault? I'm considering ordering soon and wanted to ask again before deciding.

I regret the reply : 'nothing'.

I would like to have an explication, to know the cause, to have the certainty that it is possible to order a new screen that is not a faulty screen.
(10-31-2021, 12:51 PM)Gribouille Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 12:16 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Are there any updates on this? Has the cause of this problem been discovered, and are new devices at least less likely to contain the fault? I'm considering ordering soon and wanted to ask again before deciding.

I regret the reply : 'nothing'.

I would like to have an explication, to know the cause, to have the certainty that it is possible to order a new screen that is not a faulty screen.
I wish I could reply favorably, but all I did was roll the dice on a new replacement screen. Like Winford, I too have a Manjaro CE from the first batch. As I mentioned, the replacement screen that I received from the Pine Store appears to be an older revision of the screen.

I will certainly report any signs of a defect in the new screen back to this thread immediately, but it took something like eight months before the defect started to appear in my original screen.

Now that power management is working much better than during my early days of Pinephone ownership, my phone runs much cooler on the average and it never gets scary hot like it did in the early days. Heat is nearly always used in electrical and electronic component life tests to accelerate the degradation of the components and then the results are correlated back to the specified operating ranges.

Now that our phones are running cooler, it might take longer for the problem to appear, even if the replacements (old rev. screens) are just as vulnerable to the problem as the screens that shipped with our phones.

Yes. An explanation from Pine64, including some details about Pine's solutions or mitigations would be nice!
I bought a German Shift phone 6mq, although not happy about it with all the issues I'm having but... did the same thing, first one corner, then the other, until all 4 had the issue... I dropped the phone from 1 meter and then the glass broke. Took it off, and there does not seem to be any need of this "protection" glass anyway.

Although already had one screen replaced because of a very minor drop, then getting it back and 1 pixel dead in the middle of the screen. Like nearly 4 years with my LG V20 and it never broke until the glue gave in on the screen. But the screen was pretty much as new at that point and I had dropped it a lotty lotty of times without breaking. The rest of the mobile might not have looked so good - but the screen was in pristine condition.

I would most likely just take that "protection" glass off in the first place, at least did on my Shift 6mq and it seems to work fine and really as I can see it, don't give me much protection anyhow. Just point your screen screen against your body if you put it in the above knee pocket where I usually have mine.

But yea, have not had the Pinephone in my hands yet, but clearly they are moving in the right direction on that - looking better and better. But... I most likely would not care about the screen protection and just take it off and enjoy the phone.

- Darkijah
Hello,

I give up with the Pine64's products. For me, the text associated with the 'new ' PinePhone Pro' tend to prove that Pine64 is only interested to make some benefits. Some enthusiast people bought the products and debug them, after it's easy to make with ridiculous efforts a better product to sell. If the Pine64's attitude was better when there is a hardware problem, my opinion could be other.

So, I sell my Pinephone 'Community Edition: Manjaro with Convergence Package', you could look here : https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer?ac...7509701082

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 357 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,283 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,090 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,588 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,710 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,982 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,033 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,256 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,193 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Top of screen and USB port malfunctioning Severinus 0 1,069 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Severinus