PinePhone can't make outbound calls
I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot from this so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area but it might be the only forum that can help. 

I purchased the pine phone and finally got it about a month ago and I folled the instructions and decided that my flavor of Linux would be ubuntu touch, although if debian would behave I would have wanted that. So I flashed the eMMC with Ubuntu Touch and purchased Mint mobile for ~3 month to test it out. I inserted the sim and it did not work right away so I played with the settings and finally got the APN settings to work for the most part but the problem that I have now is that it will not make outbound calls. Reciving calls is fine and I can hear the other person on the line, but making calls is a no go it says that it is unavaliable and then just quits the call. 

I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such things and how to solve it myself maybe? I know that the APN settings try not to save as internet and MMS but not entirely not sure as to why. 

Thanks to anyone that helps out I appreciate you Smile
(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot
Welcome, and hopefully you enjoy the journey.

(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: ...
I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such thing
Try opening a terminal window and typing the command
Code:
journalctl -f
which will show the last few lines of the system journal and will carry on running and show any new entries as they are added.

Then again I have no idea if Ubuntu Touch is systemd based: in any event I would recommend you flash the latest version of Mobian onto an SDcard and try that. I do it every couple of weeks and it just works for me: the point of this suggestion is to check you don't have some weird phone/SIM/provider glitch. (Or you could try Arch - again I flash it every couple of weeks and calls just work. Both Mobian & Arch are phosh based, unlike UT IIRC. UT uses ofono for plain old telephony and that may be troublesome in your environment.)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

Code:
journalctl -f

Gives a return of "No journal files were found." Which indicates that journalctl works but there was nothing in the journal to be found?
(04-11-2021, 01:48 PM)rocketchik24 Wrote: Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

I recommend Mobian because
1) It works for me
2) As far as I read here it is the most usable for basic phone(/sms/data) functions out of the box.

It really isn't normally buggy - I can boot Mobian and use my phone and computer functions (browsing etc) for a week or more without any crash (at least of the kernel - occasionally phosh but that just requires another login.) So if you are having troubles I would repeat the flash and/or download etc to get rid of corruptions. Bear in mind you should use a decent SDcard for a decent experience - I use Samsung Evo+. Class 10 is just fine - the real key is to get a card with fast read/write of small random files. Also, to avoid complications until you have a better feel for what is normal, I would avoid the Full Disk Encrypted version of Mobian.

Dunnoh why your journal is empty - you may need to try a sudo in front. (Or sort out your user membership of adm group?) Of course you can check dmesg but that tends only to have pretty high level system messages.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,290 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,108 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,602 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy