Raspberry OS installing Microsoft package behind peoples backs.
Exclamation 
I don't see this mentioned but I've come across this bit of news about Raspberry OS installing Microsoft packages behind its users back.  This Switch to Linux guy, I usually check out his videos on the very few YouTubers I like. Since most youtubers are nothing but shills. 

https://odysee.com/@linux:1/Switched-To-Linux---Microsoft-Compromising-Raspberry-Pi:5

It does bring up a question because of Pine64 products being produced in China, to be honest I have some doubts about the company too.
They didn't install Microsoft packages, but added Microsoft repos which leads to pinging of Microsoft servers when updating. Also not very great. There has been a discussion about this some weeks ago.
Regarding production in China there is a long thread about that here (edit: I was actually thinking of this thread for more specifics of the production). I don't see how that relates to something like adding Microsoft repos though or how it raises doubts about Pine64 apart from the general and always present possibility of compromised hardware.
(03-22-2021, 05:04 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: It does bring up a question because of Pine64 products being produced in China, to be honest I have some doubts about the company too.

Do you have similar concerns towards Apple? Or pretty much any electronics (or other) manufacturer these days?  Because quite a lot of things are made in China...

Pine64 are giving us quite reasonably priced, compelling, and "free as possible" devices.  I have quickly become a big fan of the company for these reasons.

Finally, what does Raspberry OS have to do with Pine64?

I'm sorry, but I find your concerns a bit misplaced and/or uninformed.
(03-23-2021, 09:57 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 05:04 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: It does bring up a question because of Pine64 products being produced in China, to be honest I have some doubts about the company too.

Do you have similar concerns towards Apple? Or pretty much any electronics (or other) manufacturer these days?  Because quite a lot of things are made in China...

Pine64 are giving us quite reasonably priced, compelling, and "free as possible" devices.  I have quickly become a big fan of the company for these reasons.

Finally, what does Raspberry OS have to do with Pine64?

I'm sorry, but I find your concerns a bit misplaced and/or uninformed.

Don't you worry about the same thing happening in the PINE64 universe? Not that PINE64.org would be doing this, I don't think/feel they ever will, however, what's your thoughts on some of the applications being written for the PINE64 products?

Back when Apple and Google got started, they where not doing this "spying", yet over time they shifted to the "spying model", IIRC, it was first started by the application writers. Dev's normally want to make a few bucks off of their work, however, we haven't seen a lot of this in the Linux Universe. I think it should at least be examined.

As always TRS-80, I'm interested in your thinking.
it took me a while to realize it, but they broke my trust, and i will never use raspberry pi os for anything connected to the internet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink microsoft repos in linux! josmo 13 1,399 02-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Last Post: WarpLover
  mobile linux distros on raspberry pi? mandavel 4 559 02-02-2021, 09:22 PM
Last Post: chaser haha
  raspberry pi 4 experiences? speculatrix 12 7,115 07-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Last Post: thatsamtoress
  Shipping time on a Rock64 package to the US jhereg 14 8,181 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: tllim