Installing Mobian --> "Resizing file system" forever
To install Mobian on an SD card I, all I theoretically have to do is to download mobian-pinephone-phosh-20210314.img.gz, write it to the card, put the card into the phone and start it, right?

However, when I do that, the "resizing file system during initial boot" screen is there for quite a long time (30 minutes maybe) and afterwards the screen turns black (not pitch black though, the display remains switched on) and that's it.

I have used two different 64 GB cards  (a new Sandisk Extreme and and old Sandisk Ultra). I tried
Code:
sudo zcat mobian-pinephone-phosh-20210314.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
and I tried BalenaEtcher.
What am I doing wrong? Huh
(03-22-2021, 03:42 PM)Anna Wrote: To install Mobian on an SD card I, all I theoretically have to do is to download mobian-pinephone-phosh-20210314.img.gz, write it to the card, put the card into the phone and start it, right?
Yup.

Usually when I have problems with a new image it is because my writing to the disk has had a glitch (as opposed to a corrupt download or a corrupt unzip).

What I would suggest is do the unzip and write in 2 separate steps. So zcat first and you should get an image that is a very round number in size (38000... bytes). Then the dd. Make sure you sync after each step.

Also AFAIK there is no benefit to using the 20210314 image as opposed to the latest nightly. So if you do download again grab the latest nightly unless you have a specific reason for wanting an old image.

Luck
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-22-2021, 04:46 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: What I would suggest is do the unzip and write in 2 separate steps.

Also AFAIK there is no benefit to using the 20210314 image as opposed to the latest nightly.

Great!

That worked.

I downloaded the latest nightly, unzipped it and wrote it with BalenaEtcher to the SD card.

Thank you!
Hello,

Take care of the quality/speed of the SD card ... 

I prefer the method given in the Mobian's Wiki : https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=install with the 'bmaptools'. It's faster than a classical 'dd' and check the written SD card.

BalenaEtcher has some troubles with the security for some people because too many information sends out as discussed somewhere (?).
I had the same problem, even after reflashing the image multiple times (a nightly image a couple of weeks ago, flashed it with bmaptools). I could solve it by resizing the partition manually before putting the SD card in the phone for the first time. Make sure to use the right method for the file system type (in the linked instructions "resize2fs" is used, but Mobian uses F2FS, so you have to use "resize.f2fs"). I grew the partition with parted and resized it with resize.f2fs.
I 've take this image : https://images.mobian-project.org/pineph...ha5.img.gz and the "*.bmap" file. After I've used "Jumdrive" and "bmaptool" to write the image on the eMMC memory. Check the quality of your SD card.
I'm having the same problem booting Mobian from an SD card. Tried the latest stable and nightly but no luck either way. Used bmap to write the image to the card. The phone is the UBports edition and the sd card is just a cheap one (class 1?).

Will try manual resizing to see if that works.
(04-03-2021, 07:53 PM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote: I'm having the same problem booting Mobian from an SD card. Tried the latest stable and nightly but no luck either way. Used bmap to write the image to the card. The phone is the UBports edition and the sd card is just a cheap one (class 1?).

Will try manual resizing to see if that works.
100% certain the image written to the card is corrupt. Try fsck both partitions after writing and before you boot from the card.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-04-2021, 02:01 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: 100% certain the image written to the card is corrupt. Try fsck both partitions after writing and before you boot from the card.

Finally got around to checking this. Thanks, you were 100% correct. fsck passed Partition 1 fine and on partition 2 just printed the one line with the version number and exited without a return code (even in verbose mode).

I guess I will try again some time with a different image...
(04-15-2021, 07:58 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 02:01 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: 100% certain the image written to the card is corrupt. Try fsck both partitions after writing and before you boot from the card.

Finally got around to checking this. Thanks, you were 100% correct. fsck passed Partition 1 fine and on partition 2 just printed the one line with the version number and exited without a return code (even in verbose mode).

I guess I will try again some time with a different image...
Even after correctly transferring the image to the SD card and checking both partitions with fsck, then doing "resizepart 2 100%" in parted, the resize.f2fs of partition 2 would fail with an out of space error. The workaround was to extend and resize in three steps: 50%, 90% and 100%: each time extend in parted then resize with resize.f2fs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  Errors when start the system kubussz 2 464 11-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  System won't suspend due to suspention notification user641 6 1,190 09-24-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: user641
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton