How many other users recieved a phone with FAULTY HARDWARE?
Usually I am defending Pine, from people who pretty clearly did not read enough about what they were ordering. But you guys here in this thread are different.

And I agree, that restocking fee (in case of bad hardware) is not only B.S., but likely illegal (in U.S. anyway). But maybe they have had too many people try to scam them? There must be some reason.

Maybe @Luke can do something for you guys on a case by case basis? IIRC, he is on vacation this week/month (first in years apparently, and well deserved IMO) so give him some time if he does not immediately reply.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
I know how you feel I think I fall into this group also. I just posted my experience the pinephone my first and last Pine64 product
(03-18-2021, 12:08 PM)ChanceNCounter Wrote: The "restocking fee" for faulty hardware is some bullshit that needs to go. I'm not sure it's even legal in California, with respect to a 30 day warranty. They lost one of my favorite FOSS associates all the way back in Braveheart, when it transpired that sending back his DOA unit for replacement would cost him another $50.

There's a limit between what we all accept with the disclaimer and the way some people seem to have been treated. It should not be hard to get an answer from a human, people with broken hardware should not feel like Pine64 is accusing them of something, and they certainly should not receive snide answers.

And what do you think about 30/35 dollars for "additional cost for shipping in remote area" ?

I have done a lot of online shopping and never paid for it.
Hello,

I realize this is an older thread already, and most everyone has figured out there are issues with this phone issue.
I myself received my pine phone last May for my birthday. I am an extreme advocate of privacy and open source.
I knew this could be wrought with problems and to true form for a new iteration, it is. I am so willing to learn but lack the
know how to accomplish anything. I need step by step simple instructions on how to do anything that might help me to log back
in to my phone, as both the decryption passphrase and the lock screen pw both will not work. I can see that it wants to boot up
but it can't somehow. I have no idea what to try next. Any help or ideas anyone?

Thanks, a old new comer to Linux
(03-19-2022, 02:04 PM)Blue Sapphire Wrote: Hello,

I realize this is an older thread already, and most everyone has figured out there are issues with this phone issue.
I myself received my pine phone last May for my birthday.  I am an extreme advocate of privacy and open source.
I knew this could be wrought with problems and to true form for a new iteration, it is.  I am so willing to learn but lack the
know how to accomplish anything.  I need step by step simple instructions on how to do anything that might help me to log back
in to my phone, as both the decryption passphrase and the lock screen pw both will not work.  I can see that it wants to boot up
but it can't somehow.  I have no idea what to try next.  Any help or ideas anyone?

Thanks,  a old new comer to Linux

This is really the wrong section and you didn't say if you mean the PinePhone or the Pro. Please see the corresponding PinePhone and PinePhone Pro section in the forum and the Pine wiki has extensive tutorials (step by step!) on how to reflash the device.
IMO Pine64 has no retail layer, not yet anyway. When "customer support" is readily available to pine "customers" it will be through the retailer and the price will be 3 to 4 hundred u.s. for a pinephone. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Also I remember reading that the Pine Store and Pine Dev are not exactly the same company but are (unfortunately imo) conjoined in the branding and reputation.

Blasting these devices out prematurely is critical to generating a network effect of development that get us all to a working linux phone. Hardware may fail, hardware will fail and asses will chap in the process (ask me how I know Big Grin ). That is why they sell a usb powered soldering iron (it works like a champ btw).
Maybe there would be a better way to communicate to users that these devices are not guaranteed to be fault-free, but some kind of extended replacement support in case there is bad hardware, found as software matures enough to see it. Naturally, it would take time but I wonder what the actual cost in manpower and inventory would be.

I think folks with PINE64 are doing the best they can, they have very little manpower for customer service, and that is on purpose, to help keep prices down and to promote a nice open community between users, developers, etc. It's a great idea and I still strongly support it. I wonder if returns could somehow be covered for a small fee, at least eventually? Tough to do that worldwide in a timely fashion without hiring representatives in every country who can help sort post issues, inventory and repairs. My understanding is that this is basically already in the works.

So far, I've been pretty lucky on hardware, I think - no real failure issues. My PINE64 A+ 2GB didn't have the reset or power buttons on it, but it still runs just fine. That's all I've really seen so far. Also, the original pinephone and case seemed to fit the red USB-A to C cable well, but not most others. They'd keep falling out. Annoying.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 938 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,746 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 991 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,419 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,205 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777