mobian, pinephone camera, and megapixels
(03-25-2021, 12:50 PM)ncc Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 12:43 PM)calinb Wrote: Hoping for the benefits described here and on developer Martijn Braam's webpage, I did "sudo apt install dcraw imagemagick" but I think it actually broken Megapixels functionality. Prior to the installing the additional image processing packages, Megapixels produced both .dng and .tiff files.  Now I only get .dng (no .jpg). Perhaps there's another reason for the change in bahavior. I last took photos about a week ago and .tiff files were produced.

I tried "sudo apt purge dcraw imagemagick" but no luck getting automatic .tiff conversion back.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

i get only .dng files too! before that it saved to .dng and .jpg files.. i think the change happend at the moment where they introduced the qr-code reading feature
Thanks. That's bad news!

In an attempt to learn / debug the behavior of the script and its interaction with Megapixels output, I renamed some .dng files in my Pictures folder to 1.dng, 2.dng, 3.dng, etc. Then I issued the command.

"/usr/share/megapixels/postprocess.sh /home/mobian/Pictures test"

and the result was it deleted my entire Pictures subdirectory with all my (wanted) pictures in it! Cry

I guess I should have studied the script code before trying to use it manually!

I think I'll just run dcraw from the terminal to do my conversions manually for now.

Okay, I got my .tiff output back. It turns out that I didn't purge / remove imagemagick when I thought I had.

Once I actually removed imagemagick (while retaining dcraw), the .tiff files were automatically produced by the megapixels postprocess.sh script again. I suspect that when imagemagick is installed, postprocess.sh tries to produce a .jpg from the dcraw .tiff but the conversion is failing for some reason and postprocess.sh deletes the .tiff. file.

I don't have time to study the script and figure out what is happening now but It would probably take me far less time to find a lightweight .tiff to .jpg converter and write my own script. Ever since I got my PinePhone late last year, I've been copying the .tiff files over to my MX Linux laptop and using gimp to convert to other compressed formats, when desired (because .tiff is huge, of course).

Maybe megapixels dev,  Martijn Braam, would respond to a bug report, but I haven't found where to file one. There's more info here:
https://git.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/megapixels

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian repository status henrythemouse 16 8,531 04-10-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: diederik
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,814 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 112 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  The program doesn`t detect the camera blag0rag 2 286 02-15-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,571 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,885 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,765 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 616 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  [Megapixels] Flash strobe, pictures viewer and MPCamera error 22 freelectro 1 1,095 08-30-2023, 03:59 AM
Last Post: karensather
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,182 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung