Pine Book Pro Charging Problems
Hello,

I got a PBP for the kids and we were very happy with it running Manjaro/Plasma.
Recently, however, it has started to not charge the battery reliably - it took a very specific, tape fixed angle and pressure of the charging plug to convince it to charge, so I assumed the receptacle to be broken.

Took the opportunity to order the (very nice) dock and had to realize that there's most likely a deeper problem: when connecting to the USB3 from the dock, the PBP also only charges with very specific plug positioning and what is more, I realized that it often cycles between charging/decharching as evident from a screen flickeriering between the power plug/battery default settings of KDE.

So I'm most likely looking at a loose connection somewhere in the charging infrastructure inside the PBP housing.
I'd appreciate any hints on how to proceed. Is this a know weak point? What can I replace on my own?

Thank you for any help.

Sincerely, balin
Were you originally charging with USB-C or the "barrel jack"?
(03-06-2021, 11:56 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Were you originally charging with USB-C or the "barrel jack"?

Originally barrel jack (which needed tape fixing).

But now I saw that I may have misinterpreted the data ... seeing other reports now, it likely is the kernel issue ... how/when to fix that?

Joh
Well, you won't like my solution: uninstalling Manjaro. I don't recommend it either. There is some way to resolve this, but I don't know what it is.
(03-06-2021, 10:30 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Well, you won't like my solution: uninstalling Manjaro.  I don't recommend it either.  There is some way to resolve this, but I don't know what it is.

Suboptimal indeed, as this was the seed to switch all linux installations for the family to that distro ... What distro do you recommend for the PBP?
(03-07-2021, 02:55 AM)balin Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:30 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Well, you won't like my solution: uninstalling Manjaro.  I don't recommend it either.  There is some way to resolve this, but I don't know what it is.

Suboptimal indeed, as this was the seed to switch all linux installations for the family to that distro ... What distro do you recommend for the PBP?
HA! It appears that I made noise for nothing - Appologies! After rebooting (apparently a fresh kernel had been pulled in by upgrading), everything appears to work (for now). Will report back  ...
(03-07-2021, 02:55 AM)balin Wrote:

I'll try again; my reply was deleted.

As far as distru, I prefer the Debian image that originally came with the PBP. It's not as fully functional as the newer Manjaro is though.

I run NetBSD; I can't really recommend that for most people.
(03-06-2021, 07:55 AM)balin Wrote: Hello,

I got a PBP for the kids and we were very happy with it running Manjaro/Plasma.
Recently, however, it has started to not charge the battery reliably - it took a very specific, tape fixed angle and pressure of the charging plug to convince it to charge, so I assumed the receptacle to be broken.

Took the opportunity to order the (very nice) dock and had to realize that there's most likely a deeper problem: when connecting to the USB3 from the dock, the PBP also only charges with very specific plug positioning and what is more, I realized that it often cycles between charging/decharching as evident from a screen flickeriering between the power plug/battery default settings of KDE.

So I'm most likely looking at a loose connection somewhere in the charging infrastructure inside the PBP housing.
I'd appreciate any hints on how to proceed. Is this a know weak point? What can I replace on my own?

Thank you for any help.

Sincerely, balin
I agree with this opinion. You can't ask for more than that. I'm in college now and have found http://essaypapers.reviews/ to solve everything. Because I don't have enough time for my hobby. I think I'm not the only one who does this, I also hope there are many people in solidarity with me.
I had no problem charging.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo P{inebook Pro not charging Ome Ko 6 1,838 11-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,358 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Pinebook Pro Stopped Charging via USB-C MickTheGeek 4 4,178 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  Hardware problems with PineBook Pro James Good 7 8,041 07-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  HArdware issues while charging user18130814200115 2 2,748 05-01-2021, 04:13 AM
Last Post: gabeeg
  PineBookPro does not charging floppy_rofling 0 1,610 02-03-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: floppy_rofling
  Screen flicker with USB-C charging bchenlee609 5 5,710 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bchenlee609
  Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems ndp 3 4,024 01-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Last Post: ndp
  USB-C Charging on the PBP? Paulie420 33 34,951 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: wrzomar