Is there a RIght and Wrong MicroSD?
Shocked 
Howdy y'all!
Got another question for you lovely folks.  The wiki compatibility list for micro SD cards is pretty empty, so it seems a good thing to ask.
Is there a right or wrong choice? Do all the class's really make a big difference? Are some brands more buggy then others?

I was thinking about picking up a Patriot 128gb x2 pack from amazon. Link: Patriot 128gb MicroSD - Amazon
Any thoughts or recommendations? Id love to hear them Smile
I steer clear from Amazon. My experience is that you might get what they said you ordered. Or, you get a Chinese fake, or a similar product, or who knows what. That's my experience though, and I don't mean to say that's how it always is.

That aside, I have not had any trouble with the Pine64 branded ones, nor the Sandisk ones I've bought from Newegg (sold by Newegg, not someone else selling through Newegg). I have read reports of certain cards not working, but I'm not sure we've had a true test of what works and what doesn't.
(03-02-2021, 10:34 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I steer clear from Amazon.  My experience is that you might get what they said you ordered.  Or, you get a Chinese fake, or a similar product, or who knows what.  That's my experience though, and I don't mean to say that's how it always is.

That aside, I have not had any trouble with the Pine64 branded ones, nor the Sandisk ones I've bought from Newegg (sold by Newegg, not someone else selling through Newegg).  I have read reports of certain cards not working, but I'm not sure we've had a true test of what works and what doesn't.

Ahh, I got no beef with amazon. Cool lol.  If there was a issue with quality or authenticity ill just send it on back from once it came. I was more concerned if the ''Class's'' made a huge difference. As for the Patriot brand Heart , i trust them quite a bit. More over Samsung or scandisk, those two have caused me quite a bit of trouble over the years. Angry
Don't forget to test it's capacity.

I use the Linux tool, f3write & f3write which seems to do the job. Their are MS-Windows tools as well, if you want to test there. It does not mater where you test, just test it once to verify it's capacity is what it says it is.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(03-02-2021, 09:49 PM)SpaceLord Wrote: Is there a right or wrong choice? Do all the class's really make a big difference? Are some brands more buggy then others?

I've considered any major brand to be as good as the others for a long time, by that no longer seems to be the general recipe.  There seem to be certain incompatibility issues between some Micro SD cards and the Micro SD interface in the PineBook Pro; please, have a look at this thread for further information.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Disassembling PineBook Pro Docking Deck (due to disappeared microSD card) gritibaenz 4 4,288 04-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Last Post: tkudog
  microSD card stuck charlesnorris 7 7,821 11-19-2020, 05:11 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can't figure out where MicroSD space is kendew 4 5,641 09-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Paulie420
  Emmc to MicroSD adapter won't fit in recessed slot of pbp sunjam 3 4,308 03-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Wrong resolution on external monitor vfr400racer 2 3,402 01-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Last Post: regivanx
  You toggled wrong switch - Pinebook Pro will not power on hmuller 0 1,962 11-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: hmuller