Cannot update
Hi folks,

Just unboxed my new Mobian Community Edition Pine Phone --- so excited!!!

Everything seems to be working pretty well. The web browsing is pretty darn slow, but I just installed Browsh, so maybe that will be a little faster.

The problem I am having is, I am getting an indication that there is an update available, but when I click "download," it tells me that it failed due to a lack of dependancies being present. However, the list of needed dependancies is blank!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Matt
how comfortable are you using a terminal?
(02-28-2021, 05:14 AM)RodneyMyers Wrote: how comfortable are you using a terminal?

For sure comfortable -- I did try sudo apt upgrade, but I still have the upgrade indication in the software app. Do I need to update my sources? Thanks for any help you can give!
ssh into the phone or start the shell

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade (say N the first time through)
pay attention to the top line (or near the top) that lists the programs NOT being upgraded. Now type, and add those programs to the end of the line

sudo apt-get upgrade <add programs that were not being upgraded>
this should take care of that problem
Make sure you read the Blog and follow the instructions. Don't let your screen go to sleep in the upgrade process.

https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...pam_issue/
Thanks folks for the assistance and link to the blog!

Now, I had already steamed ahead with an apt update, apt upgrade (with the packages that weren't installed) before reading the blog. The blog suggests 'sudo apt dist-upgrade,' however, in the Software app, the message is that everything is "all up to date." Is it still worth doing the 'dist-upgrade?'

So far, the upgrade I did do has improved performance, significantly. However, web browsing is still a bit excruciating (because it is slow). As I got this phone knowing it was a prototype, and because I am trying to do less phone use in general, I am ok with the slow browsing. However, as I am also hoping to contribute to this great project, I am wondering __why__ browsing is slow. It seems like 3 gigs of ram should be enough to handle simple website browsing. Any explanation on that, as well as how I can contribute to the project, that would be awesome.

Last question -- even after using Linux as my main operating system for a couple of years, I still don't get the difference between apt versus apt-get. It seems like apt-get is outmoded by apt, but, anyway, I see both used interchangeably all over the web -- perhaps someone can set me straight.

Loving the phone and Mobian so far, and looking forward to endless tinkering.

Best,

Matt
(02-28-2021, 07:42 PM)matt_the_hall Wrote: Thanks folks for the assistance and link to the blog!

Now, I had already steamed ahead with an apt update, apt upgrade (with the packages that weren't installed) before reading the blog. The blog suggests 'sudo apt dist-upgrade,' however, in the Software app, the message is that everything is "all up to date." Is it still worth doing the 'dist-upgrade?'

So far, the upgrade I did do has improved performance, significantly. However, web browsing is still a bit excruciating (because it is slow). As I got this phone knowing it was a prototype, and because I am trying  to do less phone use in general, I am ok with the slow browsing. However, as I am also hoping to contribute to this great project, I am wondering __why__ browsing is slow. It seems like 3 gigs of ram should be enough to handle simple website browsing. Any explanation on that, as well as how I can contribute to the project, that would be awesome.

Last question -- even after using Linux as my main operating system for a couple of years, I still don't get the difference between apt versus apt-get. It seems like apt-get is outmoded by apt, but, anyway, I see both used interchangeably all over the web -- perhaps someone can set me straight.

Loving the phone and Mobian so far, and looking forward to endless tinkering.

Best,

Matt
Yes to sudo apt dist-upgrade because it will repair the repository discrepancies in your installed apps.

Follow ALL the instructions here to install Chromium. I think you will find it faster then Firefox.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13235

Also rate me a +1 in the ratings if I helped you please? It makes up for the lack of pay they pay me here. Big Grin
Re: Pine64 phone / Mobian / Community Edition -- ** READ THE BLOG LINK **  - (( https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...pam_issue/ )) - It's excellent, saves all sorts of problems, is ACCURATE, and avoids issues and sadness.  Have a good l-o-n-g book at your side to read while the update processes.

When apt asks for your password, use your PIN.

It was a little hard to find, but now that I've registered on the forums, it looks good.  Set aside a good chunk (30 minutes?+) of time for the data to load and set up/execute all the files.  Download may pause from time to time and say things like "missing file"  (or say nothing as it hides - as when it paused for 10 minutes at 95% while updating initramfs while mobian made a new pot of coffee) (and again at 99% at initramfs: generating /boot ...) but it WILL proceed after the coffee perks, and mobian makes a side trip to get cream and then sits down with a fresh cup.  BE PATIENT, and do NOT interrupt. 

THANK YOU, COFFEE FREAK!  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  (and +1 for humor! and gentle treatment of newbie linux folks)

To quit Terminal, for really new newbies, type "exit" <enter>.  To restart, go to the very top-right corner of your screen, touch the power icon, and choose "restart" or "shut down."

Pine64:  Happy Days!
(03-03-2021, 02:56 PM)Harry27 Wrote: Re: Pine64 phone / Mobian / Community Edition -- ** READ THE BLOG LINK **  - (( https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...pam_issue/ )) - It's excellent, saves all sorts of problems, is ACCURATE, and avoids issues and sadness.  Have a good l-o-n-g book at your side to read while the update processes.

When apt asks for your password, use your PIN.

It was a little hard to find, but now that I've registered on the forums, it looks good.  Set aside a good chunk (30 minutes?+) of time for the data to load and set up/execute all the files.  Download may pause from time to time and say things like "missing file"  (or say nothing as it hides - as when it paused for 10 minutes at 95% while updating initramfs while mobian made a new pot of coffee) (and again at 99% at initramfs: generating /boot ...) but it WILL proceed after the coffee perks, and mobian makes a side trip to get cream and then sits down with a fresh cup.  BE PATIENT, and do NOT interrupt. 

THANK YOU, COFFEE FREAK!  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  (and +1 for humor! and gentle treatment of newbie linux folks)

To quit Terminal, for really new newbies, type "exit" <enter>.  To restart, go to the very top-right corner of your screen, touch the power icon, and choose "restart" or "shut down."

Pine64:  Happy Days!
Awesomesauce! That sounds like a good time. With all that coffee I mean. Glad I could help. Smile
(11-27-2021, 05:19 AM)jackmarry345 Wrote: Having problems updating the karaoke app guide. I have tried many times but have not been successful. Please help me with this problem.

Please create a new thread for that, bumping a half year old thread to ask something that has nothing to do with the thread itself is a big no-no to pretty much every forum out there.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian PIN changed after update! Mwo87 21 16,822 12-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Karrenbrady
  No longer waking up from sleep after recent update gamerminstrel 2 1,193 01-23-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: gamerminstrel
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,280 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
Exclamation No wIfI after Mobian update crakabeats 3 1,982 11-03-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: wifinoworkie
  update kills keyboard ludgate 1 1,106 05-18-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: programmin
  Unable to get PinePhone Manjaro - Arm to Update kmk7x 1 3,428 03-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb [12.11.20 Update] Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Device Arrival & Initial Tests Thread kern707 11 11,955 12-25-2020, 10:23 PM
Last Post: crevdunekin
  Manjaro system update failed, bricked PinePhone jalanga 1 2,743 11-27-2020, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Veraendert
  How To Update Phone? K_Research 3 3,901 07-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Update on last batch of Bravehearts not yet shipped nimji 16 17,522 03-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Last Post: someGermanGuy