battery and charging
Si it might be only my ignorance that I expected some charger to be packed with phone. ofc I've ordered in a separate package battery charger itself, but getting to the point

upon first boot battery showed something like 30%
plugging it with that USB-C red cable to an ultrabook instantly shows it to be 40 or 50% something
unplugging it after few seconds shows like 47% percent which after a while resets to some other number

So I was just wondering if its just me not having a proper charger has such issues, maybe a battery is bad ?

I'm not refunding or whatever, but given such limited supply of components for phone in a package itself (talking of 2GB version) its a bit worrying. in a week or so I should get a package with more cables and docker and such, but this battery % status on KDE Manjaro UI is a bit worrying.
You might want to check on the software board whether there are any issues with the battery life display on KDE Manjaro.

From what I have read here the Pinephone charging works best with the older charger types. I use a generic 2 amp USB charger and it works fine with that. If you have reason to believe the battery is bad, replacements are available on eBay for under $10. (It's a Samsung EB-BJ700BBC/BBE/CBE battery as used in the 2015 Samsung Galaxy J7 phone.) I bought another battery on eBay to have a spare and it works fine, I just had to remove a plastic molding that was glued to the bottom in order for it to fit. These work for me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Plug-5V-2A-U...EBIDX%3AIT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery...EBIDX%3AIT
(02-25-2021, 01:21 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: You might want to check on the software board whether there are any issues with the battery life display on KDE Manjaro.

From what I have read here the Pinephone charging works best with the older charger types. I use a generic 2 amp USB charger and it works fine with that. If you have reason to believe the battery is bad, replacements are available on eBay for under $10. (It's a Samsung EB-BJ700BBC/BBE/CBE battery as used in the 2015 Samsung Galaxy J7 phone.) I bought another battery on eBay to have a spare and it works fine, I just had to remove a plastic molding that was glued to the bottom in order for it to fit. These work for me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Plug-5V-2A-U...EBIDX%3AIT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery...EBIDX%3AIT

Yeah I've heard about some samsung bateries fitting these phones its not an issue about where to buy them rather if anybody else is getting susipicious numbers, like charging this phone cia cable connected to a computer takes centuries but any progress made is also suspicious so it might be just a bad battery if I'm the only on experiencing this.
(02-25-2021, 12:04 PM)submariner Wrote: Si it might be only my ignorance that I expected some charger to be packed with phone. ofc I've ordered in a separate package battery charger itself, but getting to the point

plugging it with that USB-C red cable to an ultrabook instantly shows it to be 40 or 50% something
unplugging it after few seconds shows like 47% percent which after a while resets to some other number

So I was just wondering if its just me not having a proper charger has such issues, maybe a battery is bad ?

I'm not refunding or whatever, but given such limited supply of components for phone in a package itself (talking of 2GB version) its a bit worrying. in a week or so I should get a package with more cables and docker and such, but this battery % status on KDE Manjaro UI is a bit worrying.

Depending on the OS you are using the battery level reporting will be different. I have mobian on the emmc (daily driver,love it!) and it reports wildly fluctuating values for the state of charge. While kde plasma does much much much better (at the moment).  I recommend trying out some other os's if you haven't yet.
Big Grin Cheers!
(02-25-2021, 12:04 PM)submariner Wrote: Si it might be only my ignorance that I expected some charger to be packed with phone. ofc I've ordered in a separate package battery charger itself, but getting to the point

In terms of the charger, here's the one I use:

AmazonBasics 15W One-Port USB-C Wall Charger for Tablets and Phones with Power Delivery - Black: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

It is right on spec for a 15W charger, 5v 3a. Utilizes fastest charge possible. I haven't waited longer than 30 minute to get to full charge from near dead.

EDIT: note that you will need to use a usb c to usb c cable for that charger

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Megi's Kernel and Battery Life biketool 3 2,062 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  WIRELESS CHARGING ADD-ON CASE Fred Zyphal 4 2,444 08-28-2022, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  PinePhone Pro battery life Barugon 17 15,133 07-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Last Post: prog-amateur
  Charging the phone while it is off orbital 1 1,151 07-05-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: biketool
  postmarketOS fixed battery issues Deadladyofclowntown 1 1,481 06-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Phone won't suspend, battery drains quickly nelstomlinson 12 6,952 04-05-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Anna
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,943 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  Mobile case wanted - with wireless charging! thorensjubilee 4 2,774 03-19-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: vap0rtranz
  improve battery life on pine phone beta? taoschx 0 1,040 02-28-2022, 06:24 AM
Last Post: taoschx
  Guide to power off the Pinephone on low battery Ulfnic 1 1,511 02-06-2022, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ulfnic