Extra newlines in forum post
I mentioned this briefly in another post where someone was discussing forum issues.

But it just happened again, so I thought I would make a separate post, about this issue specifically.  I hope this is the right place.  I am going to try and ping @fire219 as well, as it's my understanding that this sort of thing might be his bailiwick(?).

When I am composing a post, I like to press the Preview button some times as I am editing.  Then some times (not all the time) the forum ends up inserting extra newlines.  And even if I try and manually remove them, they still get inserted back in the final post.  Once this starts, it seems every additional Preview might be adding another newline in the affected area(s).

You can see an example of this here (this just happened).

I have not nailed down exactly what conditions seem to cause it; when I can reliably reproduce the issue I will make another report.  But I thought I would mention it, in case someone else might also be experiencing the same issue.

Until then, cheers.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
What browser are you using?

(I have not noticed this, on Firefox nor NB Browser).
I have not seen anything like happening before... but does it happen to match this? If so, it's a bug in our forum software and they are putting off fixing it until the next major release.  Dodgy
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(02-23-2021, 10:10 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: What browser are you using?

Firefox 78.7.0esr (64-bit) on Debian Testing

(02-24-2021, 09:32 AM)fire219 Wrote: I have not seen anything like happening before... but does it happen to match this? If so, it's a bug in our forum software and they are putting off fixing it until the next major release.  Dodgy

That does sound quite familiar, thanks for the heads up.  In fact, I may go and add my experience to the report.

F/LOSS development happens at their pace, I am OK with that (if you are paying for some support, I suppose I could see how you might feel different).

EDIT: I've added to the issue at GitHub.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-23-2021, 08:38 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I mentioned this briefly in another post where someone was discussing forum issues.

But it just happened again, so I thought I would make a separate post, about this issue specifically.  I hope this is the right place.  I am going to try and ping @fire219 as well, as it's my understanding that this sort of thing might be his bailiwick(?).

When I am composing a post, I like to press the Preview button some times as I am editing.  Then some times (not all the time) the forum ends up inserting extra newlines.  And even if I try and manually remove them, they still get inserted back in the final post.  Once this starts, it seems every additional Preview might be adding another newline in the affected area(s).

You can see an example of this here (this just happened).

I have not nailed down exactly what conditions seem to cause it; when I can reliably reproduce the issue I will make another report.  But I thought I would mention it, in case someone else might also be experiencing the same issue.

Until then, cheers.

This is happening to me. I posted a tutorial related to Pinetab/internal SDR and I cannot get it to save my formatting correctly.

Anytime I edit the post it adds multiple new lines (invisible in the edit):  https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13142 So far I have gotten it readable but there is a block I would have liked to fix formatting on after "Getting started". 

Anyhow I will try a different browser.. So far have used Firefox. I thought it was just me dealing with this.  Cool
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

There must be something in the editor settings on this site. I cannot make it happen in Firefox 78 ESR or 84

It may also be that I'm using Firefox in "safe mode" as that's the only way I can get it to work on several sites I frequent. I suppose I could try without that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 277 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  star64 bootable images, u-boot, sbi, forum? hexdump 2 1,337 12-06-2023, 09:47 PM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  A post about a Pine-64 Wi-Fi ethernet router project board and enclosure? Omnios 1 553 09-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  RSS feed for the forum power46 1 726 08-01-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: ericssonmere
  Why are you using MyBB for this forum? notramo 6 3,503 05-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Change the forum's software to Discourse Liz_34 11 3,220 01-25-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Own sub for PineBuds Pro to this forum Liz_34 0 770 01-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Liz_34
  No blog post this month captainmorgan 5 2,735 10-14-2022, 11:57 AM
Last Post: pljanson
Lightbulb Add a dark theme for the forum? cowsay 1 998 08-31-2022, 10:13 AM