Verizon With Manjaro Plasma?
Ordered one of the 'leftover' KDE CE Pinephones and am planning on using it with my current Verizon service when it arrives. Anyone have good experience with the Manjaro/KDE combo with Verizon? I had read that the Mobian / Phosh combo has worked well, so that is a definite option but am kind of a fan of the Plasma desktop and the mobile version looks very nicely polished!
(02-23-2021, 11:20 AM)U.P.Penguin Wrote: Ordered one of the 'leftover' KDE CE Pinephones and am planning on using it with my current Verizon service when it arrives. Anyone have good experience with the Manjaro/KDE combo with Verizon? I had read that the Mobian / Phosh combo has worked well, so that is a definite option but am kind of a fan of the Plasma desktop and the mobile version looks very nicely polished!

Plasma mobile is a work in progress and very buggy. Cellular doesn't work and hasn't for many in the last 30 days. It's a bug in ofono. you can follow whats going on with it here in the Manjaro forum.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/unable-to-co...work/50367

Mobian Phosh does work really well. Manjaro Phosh cellular broke in yesterdays modem update. Switching to the unstable branch fixed it. You can switch back to stable if you want afterwards the fix stays. Mobian and Arch are the only two that seem to be stable enough for daily drivers. They support installation of Flatpak apps where as I have been unsuccessful in getting apps I need like Chromium to run in Manjaro and Postmarket. It seems to be a conflict with Wayland. Chromium is the best choice for web apps on the Pinephone. You have to scale-to-fit Chromium and use an extension called Mobile View to get the web pages in mobile form because you can't edit the User Agent String-persistent like you can in Firefox. Also Firefox scaling has been broken in Manjaro and Arch Phosh for about a week. You have to use it in landscape to get to the hamburger menu.

Hope this helps. Best wishes, CoffeeFreak
(02-23-2021, 11:46 AM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 11:20 AM)U.P.Penguin Wrote: Ordered one of the 'leftover' KDE CE Pinephones and am planning on using it with my current Verizon service when it arrives. Anyone have good experience with the Manjaro/KDE combo with Verizon? I had read that the Mobian / Phosh combo has worked well, so that is a definite option but am kind of a fan of the Plasma desktop and the mobile version looks very nicely polished!

Plasma mobile is a work in progress and very buggy. Cellular doesn't work and hasn't for many in the last 30 days. It's a bug in ofono. you can follow whats going on with it here in the Manjaro forum.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/unable-to-co...work/50367

Mobian Phosh does work really well. Manjaro Phosh cellular broke in yesterdays modem update. Switching to the unstable branch fixed it. You can switch back to stable if you want afterwards the fix stays. Mobian and Arch are the only two that seem to be stable enough for daily drivers. They support installation of Flatpak apps where as I have been unsuccessful in getting apps I need like Chromium to run in Manjaro and Postmarket. It seems to be a conflict with Wayland. Chromium is the best choice for web apps on the Pinephone. You have to scale-to-fit Chromium and use an extension called Mobile View to get the web pages in mobile form because you can't edit the User Agent String-persistent like you can in Firefox. Also Firefox scaling has been broken in Manjaro and Arch Phosh for about a week. You have to use it in landscape to get to the hamburger menu.

Hope this helps. Best wishes, CoffeeFreak
Very helpful info! Thanks! I'll keep my eye on the Manjaro forum for updates.
In the meantime I'll flash some SD cards to test drive OS's as they progress. 
I am primarily a Brave user for browser, so the Mobile View extension should prove handy, thanks for the heads up on that one!

Super Excited to finally be able get a true Linux phone! -U.P.Penguin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,530 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 584 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,181 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 644 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,305 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Manjaro phosh no screen rotation sandspur 1 1,272 06-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Last Post: rapp
  plasma-dialer doesn't call Ant 7 3,814 04-08-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: israel
  Manjaro on Pinephone freezes during startup LasVegasLee 1 1,431 03-22-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: acrux
  Camera on manjaro arm transfer76 7 4,720 03-18-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ant