HowTo: Get a passcode from DUO Mobile working on the Pinephone
Hey All,

I was forced to use Duo Mobile to use with my work, and I wanted to share a couple of experiences to help anyone else that may have this issue too. First, DUO now supports WebAuthn, I had to ask my IT department to get it to work. This will allow you to use a Yubikey (or other U2F device) on Firefox (as normally it is Chrome only). I just ordered a USB-C Yubikey as well, so I am curious to see if I can get that working on the Pinephone.

I was also successful in getting a passcode working with Gnome Authenticator, thus not needing the DUO mobile app (for those who don't have to use DUO, the "official" way to get a passcode working is to use their app, which is an Andriod/iOS app only. It does not natively support using third party apps, and I suspect that is by design). There is a python script to get it working:

https://github.com/kop316/duo-cli

You can use just the python script only you so choose, but you can also export the secret to your favorite 2fa app (like Gnome-authenticator). Use the

Code:
./duo_export.py

script to export your secret. Note that it uses HOTP, do you have to incriment it at every log in.

As a quick note, look at all of the "Data" in duo_activate.py , and make sure they are reasonable values too. I can only assume they have those values to check them.
(02-22-2021, 12:27 PM)kop316 Wrote: Hey All,

I was forced to use Duo Mobile to use with my work, and I wanted to share a couple of experiences to help anyone else that may have this issue too. First, DUO now supports WebAuthn, I had to ask my IT department to get it to work. This will allow you to use a Yubikey (or other U2F device) on Firefox (as normally it is Chrome only). I just ordered a USB-C Yubikey as well, so I am curious to see if I can get that working on the Pinephone.

I was also successful in getting a passcode working with Gnome Authenticator, thus not needing the DUO mobile app (for those who don't have to use DUO, the "official" way to get a passcode working is to use their app, which is an Andriod/iOS app only. It does not natively support using third party apps, and I suspect that is by design). There is a python script to get it working:

https://github.com/kop316/duo-cli

You can use just the python script only you so choose, but you can also export the secret to your favorite 2fa app (like Gnome-authenticator). Use the

Code:
./duo_export.py

script to export your secret. Note that it uses HOTP, do you have to incriment it at every log in.

As a quick note, look at all of the "Data" in duo_activate.py , and make sure they are reasonable values too. I can only assume they have those values to check them.

github url 404
(01-16-2022, 03:07 PM)transfer76 Wrote: github url 404

code moved to gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/kop316/duo-cli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,323 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,154 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,924 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,706 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,921 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,744 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,835 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,107 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega