Latest dev build of plasma manjaro not booting
Im unable to boot the lastest dev builds with plama mobile Manjaro, the phone stays with the screen off and nothing happends
(02-21-2021, 09:06 AM)paju1986 Wrote: Im unable to boot the lastest dev builds with plama mobile Manjaro, the phone stays with the screen off and nothing happends
What method do you use to write the image?

I do it like this from my PinebookPro:
Code:
sudo dd if=~/Downloads/Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-dev-20210220.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync
and the SD card boots up (almost) every time.

Change mmcblk1 to whatever your SDcard is called on your system.:
Code:
lsblk
I use balenaetcher to write the image, i have written many other images to sdcard before and all of them worked fine so i dont think its a problem with the image or the sdcard. Something must be wrong on those builds.
I have the 3g ram version of the pinephone
FYI no problems for me with mobian-pinephone-phosh-20210221.img using dd to EMMC.
Presumably unlikely to be your SD card if it's worked before. Try the lates img file or 0220 / 0221 as they worked for us.

Not sure if different motherboard is an issue, I have v1.2 2GB as per signature.

Also check the checksum once downloaded if you don't do that already, just in case.

e.g. sha256sum
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
I just downloaded Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-dev-20210222.img.xz and wrote it to an SD card with Etcher ( https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...v/releases ). It works for me.

Installing updates now and going to give it a spin after a month with Mobian.
Some distros take a long while to boot first time, as they do various processes to initialize the setup. Just give it some time. I tried the KDE Neon and it must of taken 10-15 minutes to finish booting the first time.
turn out the problem was the ram clock that is set when booting was too high for my device i had to go to the sdcard and modify the bootloader file to a lower ram one. Now it boots no problem.
(02-23-2021, 05:15 AM)paju1986 Wrote: turn out the problem was the ram clock that is set when booting  was too high for my device i had to go to the sdcard and modify the bootloader file to a lower ram one. Now it boots no problem.

Weird. Is it geared only towards the newer revisions or something? I had to make no such changes for the 3GB community edition. Just curious what led you to check this. Any links?
they add some overclock to the ram speed at boot so the os its more respontive but not all memory are exactly identical on the manufacturing process that can make some devices not being so happy about it
Woops, I just had the testing update come through (2021-02-24) and I also get the blank / black screen.
Wifi and ssh work so I can get dmesg / journalctl etc.

So it's the graphical session not starting up? No idea how to try and restart it.

Anyway, any pointers as to how I lower ram speed? Pinephone v1.2 as per my sig.

Given the phone boots and wifi / ssh work, and ofonoctl list shows modem / sim registered to network, I don't believe it is a 'not booting' issue.
Somehow the screen stays off and won't turn on.
I tried increasing the backlight level but no diff.

FIXED: I had to increase brightness more:
Code:
su
Code:
echo 950 >/sys/class/backlight/backlight/brightness
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is wrong with KDE plasma beta15 RC4? Uturn 8 1,332 10-02-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 498 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,068 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,422 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 718 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Latest update Eugo 21 7,720 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,357 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 957 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,219 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,560 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM