Deep sleep shutdown the phone
Hi,

I've recently got the Mobian's Edition PP and am having an issue with deep sleep since day one, shortly after doing the dist-upgrade. Here are the steps and the outcome :

1) I set deep sleep "on" in settings (be it on charge or on battery)
2) I let the phone go into deep sleep
3) When I come back, pushing the power button boot the phone : the phone was actually shut down (expected behavior : resume the phone and show the lock screen)
4) I enter my encrypted fs password
5) The phone try to boot ... then shutdown
6) Pushing the power button does nothing
7) I have to remove the battery and put it back on for the phone to boot again, or plugging the phone to a power source can also do the trick
8) Then everything is back on track until next deep sleep

At first, I thought I could find the answer on the forums or social networks, that it was a known issue, but no deep sleep issue seem like this one precisely.

As a side note, I've noticed other issues that could be related :

- Chatty don't launch after a cold boot : I have to kill the process and run it again for the window to appear
- Same with the phone app : cannot make calls until I kill the process and start it again
- I actually never got the GPS working : I tinkered a bit applying Mobian's Wiki tweaks, applied the script to speed up the fix, played with mmcli and other stuffs, but never saw any GPS icon in the statusbar nor got any GPS based location in Gnome Maps or Pure Maps (only from Cellular and Wifi). Again, I thought : maybe it's the experimental nature of the phone, until I realized reading blogs and forums posts that some people actually do see a GPS icon in the statusbar (or do they ?) and get GPS location in Mobian.

I understand of the experimental nature of the Pinephone, and I actually love the potential that it bring. I'm not ranting in any way, I'm just thinking that if the issue is on my side, it will not be solved with the next update. And since I'm out of idea to find the cause of all this (mainly the deep sleep issue which is the most annoying), I'm hoping someone know better on the matter and has some idea as to where to start looking...

And thanks for all the community work !
Welcome to the PinePhone world.

Your experience is abnormal to me: I am running Arch the last day or 2 so my Mobian opinion may be out of date but I havent experienced the powering off in deep sleep. I set my deep sleep to 5 mins on battery, never when on charge. My calls and chatty work fine straight after boot and after waking from CRUST sleep without any intervention. I haven tried GPS yet - that really is in the realms of experimental as far as I read.

It may be worth flashing an SDcard with the latest Mobian image and trying that just to get some confidence in your phone. I would be astounded if you have the same problems but if you do then there may be some weird hardware issue?
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Hi,
can't say anything about the other issues mention above... but just to get sure.
I just posted this as an idea in another thread and maybe this could be related to your deep sleep problem.

Try:
Code:
Code:
sudo dpkg --list crust*

A few weeks ago some packages got re-arranged, and coming from a base image published in Dec. 2020, i realized it got lost on my device at some point during my weekly update processes.
You should just check... and re-install crust if necessary

Regards,
scholbert
(02-21-2021, 10:17 AM)scholbert Wrote: A few weeks ago some packages got re-arranged, and coming from a base image published in Dec. 2020, i realized it got lost on my device at some point during my weekly update processes.

Regards,
scholbert

crust is now built into the u-boot binary, there's no need to install any additional package (crust-firmware is only used to build the u-boot package, users will probably never need to install it)
(02-22-2021, 08:10 AM)a-wai Wrote: ...
crust is now built into the u-boot binary, there's no need to install any additional package (crust-firmware is only used to build the u-boot package, users will probably never need to install it)

Thanks for the clarification - it lines up with what I am finding.

I am still fine on Mobian with deep sleep kicking in fine after the 5 minutes I have set and waking up manually when I want. And I don't have any crust response to dpkg as indicated by @scholbert .

My Arch installation now is apparently afflicted with the "power off rather than sleep" disease: possibly since I loaded the 17 Feb version of p-boot.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
(02-22-2021, 08:10 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 10:17 AM)scholbert Wrote: A few weeks ago some packages got re-arranged, and coming from a base image published in Dec. 2020, i realized it got lost on my device at some point during my weekly update processes.

Regards,
scholbert

O.K. thanks for clearing up... i didn't want to confuse anyone, it was just a my best guess Shy
Thank you for your suggestions and sharing of experience.

I've been thinking and wonder if having root encryption enabled on Mobian could not be the reason why I get this "shutdown on sleep" issue ? It could explain why some have this issue and others don't, as I cannot figure another major change to the system that could bring to such a difference between devices that share exactly the same kernel and exactly the same hardware...
(03-05-2021, 11:48 AM)bitsandnumbers Wrote: Thank you for your suggestions and sharing of experience.

I've been thinking and wonder if having root encryption enabled on Mobian could not be the reason why I get this "shutdown on sleep" issue ? It could explain why some have this issue and others don't, as I cannot figure another major change to the system that could bring to such a difference between devices that share exactly the same kernel and exactly the same hardware...

I have the same setup and experienced the same behavior.  But looking at the logs, the phone does not shutdown.  I came in this morning and it appeared to be shutdown.  No response from power button.  I had to remove the battery.

I can see in the logs NetworkManager dispatcher running every hours up until I removed the battery;

Code:
Mar 08 21:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 08 22:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 08 23:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 00:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 01:27:54 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 02:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 03:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 04:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.
Mar 09 05:27:53 mobian systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Succeeded.

-- Boot fe2c6fd3d72d46c7aba942dc83ce5001 --
Mar 09 06:21:51 mobian kernel: Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
(02-22-2021, 12:14 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: My Arch installation now is apparently afflicted with the "power off rather than sleep" disease: possibly since I loaded the 17 Feb version of p-boot.

Hi dukla2000,

I am also on arch+phosh and my PinePhone has the same disease:
On battery, after 4 Minutes there is a notification about the phone going to sleep soon, (fine)
then after 1 more minute the screen goes off (hard to say what is actually happening here),
if I then press the power button shortly, the arch logo is shown and the phone seems to be booting:
a) all apps are closed now
b) uptime is 0

(How) did you fix this disease? Do I have to switch to Mobian?

Regards

lacriz
(10-15-2021, 12:55 PM)lacriz Wrote: ...
(How) did you fix this disease? Do I have to switch to Mobian?

I have always run Arch as part of a dual boot using p-boot and have never sorted things for Arch.

For Mobian using its default bootloader off eMMC I have no problems.

Luck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  phone does not ring (when sleeping) jsch 2 1,395 10-07-2022, 08:08 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  no wakeup from deep-sleep jsch 8 3,901 09-05-2022, 03:03 AM
Last Post: jsch
  MATE on pine phone user641 6 3,574 05-05-2022, 09:44 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Phone mic isn't working at all D347h 2 1,882 01-26-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: D347h
  Screen/display gets switched on by itself / Phone wakes up from suspend Anna 5 3,878 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: pothos
  Block Phone Numbers? MarkF 6 5,288 12-02-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Smeegle
  Phone suddenly unusable TRS-80 6 3,137 11-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Mobian and Deep Sleep Crust some_pinephone_user 1 1,912 11-14-2021, 07:05 AM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  phone call using built it app will not go to bluetooth motox6 3 3,488 06-28-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: wibble
  audio quality on phone Rainer 0 1,386 05-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Rainer