Quartz64 chat
(02-19-2021, 04:16 PM)Braillynn Wrote: I'm really quite excited about the Quartz 64 as it sounds like it will be the chip that becomes the PinePhone 2. Knowing that you are making a 10' e-ink display that attaches to it makes me wonder if Pine has any intention to make an e-reader? Everyone know of the kindle and those e-ink drawing tablets that cost a fortune. If Pine64 could make a competing product that would be a dream come true for those wanting to get away from the walled garden of Amazon and Barnes and Noble devices and also a device for artists who prefer FOSS products and services. Just my two cents.

- Braillynn
In regards to the e-Ink display. My opinion is that unless it is a color e-Ink display, I don't think another e-Ink tablet would be popular. Plus, it would be useful to have reasonable dots per inch. And that applies to both smaller size, like 6-7" or larger 9-10". But, just my opinion.

For those that don't know, their are reduced color e-Ink displays. For example, one was able to display 16 shades of gray, and 4,096 colors.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I think it would be a trade-off between price and refresh rate. From what I have seen the cheaper (reduced) color e-ink screens have a really low refresh rate, making them more suitable for digital signage than a e-reader type device. Of course if Pine64 can source a nice & cheap 10" color e-ink that would be awesome, but I personally would be fine with a reasonably good monochrome one as well. For me refresh-rate and accurate touch input would be more important.
(02-22-2021, 08:18 AM)poVoq Wrote: I think it would be a trade-off between price and refresh rate. From what I have seen the cheaper (reduced) color e-ink screens have a really low refresh rate, making them more suitable for digital signage than a e-reader type device. Of course if Pine64 can source a nice & cheap 10" color e-ink that would be awesome, but I personally would be fine with a reasonably good monochrome one as well. For me refresh-rate and accurate touch input would be more important.
I  very much agree. of course I don’t mind colour, I would much prefer a cheaper, faster monochrome than an more expensive, laggy colour display, though.

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to have a monochrome small Pinebook ?
Typewriter style, maybe with a slightly better keyboard than the old OG Pinebook ?

Or more reader style with a stand and a clever solution to use a good Bluetooth keyboard? I think a clever stand or cover would be key for this idea. Then you can use the eInk display with a nice (mechanical?) keyboard as luxury distraction free writing machine. As a 10” display is already planned, maybe this is an option?
(02-18-2021, 01:14 PM)fire219 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 12:40 PM)Luke Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 12:13 PM)poVoq Wrote: What happened to IRC?

The reality is that other protocols are more popular by a magnitude of X than IRC. And bridging IRC, as I understand it, is a pain in the behind.
You'd have to ask @fire219 to bridge IRC up to the other Quartz64 chats and see what he says.

Just bridged it this morning. Wink
me too want try  Idea Idea Idea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Telegram news channel (not chat) Luke 0 1,205 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Chit Chat about Tick Tock (July News Upadte) Luke 37 15,612 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  New Chat Options: Telegram Luke 1 1,879 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Luke