Working modem?
(02-24-2021, 02:40 AM)Barugon Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 02:21 AM)dcinoz Wrote: You have to turn Mobile Data on via an on / toggle in the settings. Hopefully that works.

Of course I did that. No go.
Sorry, I should have read the thread....
Have you checked the settings work on an Android / Apple phone?

If you have the correct APN in Access Points and selected it with Mobile Data on, what do you get with:
Code:
ip a
and
Code:
ip r
?

Presume no wwan ip / route.

Maybe check your IMS / VoLTE settings, not sure if that could be an issue?

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims"'

If you have 1,0 as the response, try:
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims",0'

to turn it off (even though the 2nd 0 means your network hasn't enabled VoLTE). Not sure if that might help.

Silly question, perhaps, but do calls / text messages work? Perhaps your operator has a whitelist and Quectel is not allowed to connect / not allowed for data?

I presume if you're seeing 4G and signal bars that means you're connected and calls / SMS should work:
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QNWINFO'

You can confirm you're attached to the packet domain (gives a 1 even with mobile data off):
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+CGATT?'

If data is on and you have an IP address it wil be shown via:
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+CGPADDR=1'
but presumably you'd have that ip address and mobile data working.

Maybe try 2 or 3 or 4 but presume 1 would be the active one?

I seem to have read quite a few US operators have whitelists / had Pinephone working but no longer do. Maybe it's related to that.
Definitely confirm it's working on a non-Pinephone but I imagine you have already...

I'm just trying to help and hopefully some of the above commands can confirm things. It kinda sounds like the network doesn't accept the Quectel modem to be honest. Not sure if that means calls / SMS text messages would work but not mobile data? If non-VoLTE then calls would be in 3G/2G - is that what happens? My Pinephone is connected to 4G with mobile data off and switches to 3G as my MVNO does not support VoLTE yet. So your 4G with bars doesn't mean it'll work with data, all I'm saying.

Anyway, I still haven't figured out if there actually is an AT modem command to enable / disable mobile data as such. I'll try reading Quectel manual again tomorrow - not having the EG25G one might not help.

Let us know. Hope this helps a bit more this time. Nothing more frustrating than trying lots of things and not getting it to work.

Another thought as it seems Straight Talk works across several operator networks, perhaps you need to enable Data Roaming too?

Final one for me tonight, this displays the name of the registered network:
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QSPN'
Not sure what it gives if you're not registered.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
AT command for network registration but for me it just answers '':
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+CREG'

A lot easier and verbose (works for Mobian):
Code:
sudo journalctl --since "5 minutes ago" | grep ModemManager
or
Code:
sudo journalctl -b
since boot for all messages.

You will see e.g.:
Code:
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] 3GPP registration state changed (registering -> home)
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] state changed (enabled -> registered)
and when I turn data on:
Code:
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] simple connect started...
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] simple connect state (4/8): wait to get fully enabled
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] simple connect state (5/8): register
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] simple connect state (6/8): bearer
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] simple connect state (7/8): connect
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] state changed (registered -> connecting)
ModemManager[435]: [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Allocating new client ID...
ModemManager[435]: [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Registered 'wds' (version 1.67) client with ID '17'
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2] QMI IPv4 Settings:
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2]     address: 10.70.25.25/30
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2]     gateway: 10.70.25.26
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2]     DNS #1: 10.5.195.164
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2]     DNS #2: 10.5.68.232
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2]        MTU: 1460

and when I turn data off:
Code:
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] state changed (connected -> disconnecting)
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8] state changed (disconnecting -> registered)
ModemManager[435]: <info>  [modem8/bearer2] connection #1 finished: duration 472s, tx: 236 bytes, rx :0 bytes

For Manjaro Plasma Mobile using ofonod / ofonoctl, see https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13213

You can use:
Code:
sudo systemctl -b
and you will see logs from:
eg25manager
pinephone-modem-setup.sh
manjaro:modem-setup
NetworkManager
ofonod
ofonoctl

Code:
sudo systemctl -b | grep NetworkManager
or
Code:
sudo systemctl -b | grep modem
will give you good info

e.g.
Code:
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200469.7254] modem["quectelqmi_0"]: modem state changed, 'searching' --> 'registered' (reason: modem ready)
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200470.0141] modem-ofono[quectelqmi_0]: Attached true -> false
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200470.0143] modem-ofono[quectelqmi_0]: 'Attached': false 'Online': true 'IMSI': 505015601536136
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200470.0143] modem["quectelqmi_0"]: modem state changed, 'registered' --> 'searching' (reason: modem searching)
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200470.5266] modem-ofono[quectelqmi_0]: Attached false -> true
NetworkManager[3754]: <info>  [1614200470.5268] modem-ofono[quectelqmi_0]: 'Attached': true 'Online': true 'IMSI': 505015601536136

You have the ofono commands in the link I posted above:
Code:
ofonoctl list
to check registration.
Code:
ofonoctl wan
for wwan info.

To get the IP / gateway / route assigned
Code:
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect
Code:
ip a
and
Code:
ip r
to see the IP address and routes.

NOTE currently WWAN DEFAULT ROUTE HAS PRIORITY over Wifi so BEWARE.
And the Mobile Data toggle in the settings does not work (not for several of us anyway).

So to turn off mobile data delete the wwan0 ip address
Code:
sudo ip a del <ip_address/xx> dev wwan0
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Neat on / off mobile data command for Plasma Mobile (not checked with Mobian):

Get ip route for wwan0
Code:
sudo ip link set dev wwan0 up

Delete ip route for wwan0
Code:
sudo ip link set dev wwan0 down
It doesn't delete the wwan0 ip address but since there is no route for wwan0 that doesn't make any difference.

Seems like there is always a mobile data connection ready in normal circumstances, still don't know how to enable / disable that 'properly'.
You might find this useful for Plasma Mobile.
Script to turn modem on / off and enable / disable data:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid90498
@dcinoz
Thanks for all the information. I was trying some of the stuff you posted. I got down to the AT+CREG command and it just started working. I'll spend more time with it this weekend but hopefully it just works now.
It still doesn't work. I don't know why it worked that one time. Could my modem issues be related to this?
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_1...rdware_Fix

The phone I have is the UBPorts edition.
(03-02-2021, 05:47 PM)Barugon Wrote: It still doesn't work. I don't know why it worked that one time. Could my modem issues be related to this?
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_1...rdware_Fix

The phone I have is the UBPorts edition.
That has nothing to do with modem. Have you physically opened the case to see if the antenna connector is connected? It's the long cable on the left, snaking down from the main board to the usb board.
(03-03-2021, 07:15 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Have you physically opened the case to see if the antenna connector is connected? It's the long cable on the left, snaking down from the main board to the usb board.

I assume you mean take out the screws and really open it up. I have only taken the back off to get at the microSD and SIM cards.

[edit] Yeah, it's connected.
How far out are you from a cell tower? Because, i've run out of ideas. Your modem tests and runs ok, it reads sims, antenna is connected...

Maybe you're just too far out to get a signal, or maybe something is wrong with the actual antenna, not the cable.

Just to double check, I'd download and install a fresh copy of mobian or manjaro beta 6. Both are working correctly. If still not working, I'd reflash the modem firmware. Because there aren't many options left for what could be wrong.
(03-03-2021, 08:47 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: How far out are you from a cell tower? Because, i've run out of ideas. Your modem tests and runs ok, it reads sims, antenna is connected...

Maybe you're just too far out to get a signal, or maybe something is wrong with the actual antenna, not the cable.

Just to double check, I'd download and install a fresh copy of mobian or manjaro beta 6. Both are working correctly. If still not working, I'd reflash the modem firmware. Because there aren't many options left for what could be wrong.

The SIM card is coming straight from my Android phone, so I know the service works fine here. Also, as I stated in an earlier post, it did start working after some poking around but it went right back to not working after I restarted the phone. I've tried Arch, Fedora, Manjaro, Mobian, openSUSe and postmarketOS and I've very recently cycled through all of them just to see if one would work. After flashing the modem firmware, the connection issue became worse. I reflashed the firmware again but it's still the same. Sometimes the phone won't even see the SIM card.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,285 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Modem white list aular 7 648 02-13-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: aular
  qcell modem id aular 6 626 01-15-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: aular
  Temporary fix for Modem Not Coming Back on in SXMO Postmarketos Pinephone kebab 2 1,989 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: kebab
  Modem gets disabled on every suspend jojuma 5 1,656 03-27-2023, 02:51 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Modem audio settings jack1 2 1,215 02-04-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: jack1
  MMS sending stopped working amindfv 2 1,154 01-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 1,284 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,684 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,943 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe