A Cure for the Moble Data Blues (KDE Community Edition)
I thought for sure that there was something wrong with ofono.  I even compiled ofono's master branch from source and learned how to create a pkgbuild, then eventually post my attempt on the AUR.  Apparently, they didn't like that very much.  However, I managed to get through it.  However, this approach led to a phone that would not make calls.  So, I reinstalled the original ofono and went back to the drawing board.

I started chasing down a few items online, including a few interesting items that turned out to not be too relevant.  I began to look at the network interfaces and noticed how wwan0 never had a link and only had an ipv6 address.  I ventured a guess that my service would be on ipv4 and couldn't find a good way to obtain or renew a lease.  I downloaded udhcpd from the AUR and ran it.  It spit out an ipv4 address along with DNS servers!  Everything went sideways after that and I thought I broke the phone.  However, with a few restarts I was back to the business of trying to get my mobile data working.

I disabled NetworkManager and enabled dhcpcd instead.  I noticed that wwan0 had an ipv4 address, but still no Internet or calls.  I went back to NetworkManager to keep things as close to default as I could.

Through more research, I stumbled across this post on the Manjaro gitlab for the Plasma Mobile Pinephone.  I was struggling with the same issue.  It just happens to be the case that my modem was on and registered while my wi-fi was off when I tried the following command:

Code:
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns

Hearkening back to the old days of fighting with NetworkManager on linux desktops, i decided to ping a public ip address and received a response, despite the icon claiming that I am disconnected: success.  Immediately afterward, I opened Angelfish and began to surf the information superhighway.

Alas, not all of the troubles are over.  It seems that when the phone goes idle and the screen turns off, the modem likes to shut down.  However, Michael Lenz (God bless him), also provided a link to the ofonoctl main page.  When this happened, the commands will not work.  It first requires a restart of the ofono service.

Code:
sudo systemctl restart ofono
sudo ofonoctl poweron
sudo ofonoctl online     #You can make phone calls here.
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns       #Enjoy those tasty waves!

It should be simple enough to write a bash script for this.  Perhaps make it check the the internet connection and execute the script via a cron job.  I will see what I can do if someone else doesn't get to it first.  I hope this helps you as much as it does me.

P.S. The latest update to the unstable branch has allowed me to use DTMF tones during a call.  I can check my voicemail now without using my old phone to generate the tones of my pin code into the microphone of my Pinephone.  Life is good.

Messages In This Thread
A Cure for the Moble Data Blues (KDE Community Edition) - by neil2ball - 02-13-2021, 11:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 3 251 1 hour ago
Last Post: tapirsurfeit
  Manjaro Plasma Beta and Cellular Data Service Fred Zyphal 7 5,076 03-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  No incoming SMS. Outgoing SMS, calls and data working. HardwarePunk 3 3,046 11-20-2021, 12:53 AM
Last Post: HardwarePunk
  No mobile data working itwurketnet 3 2,501 10-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Last Post: itwurketnet
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 8 7,253 04-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Timothy_Ecc
  Plasma Mobile - no data connection KNERD 9 8,691 02-25-2021, 03:44 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Anbox on KDE Community Edition (Manjaro) neil2ball 8 6,900 02-21-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: neil2ball
  Mobile Data toggle not retained after reboot Shane 0 1,443 12-23-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Shane
  Todays Manjaro CE Update Broke my AT&T Data cyberbillp 4 4,017 12-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Last Post: cyberbillp
Exclamation PinePhone Manjaro Edition, does not boot vdiazroa 2 3,099 11-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Last Post: bcg7