PinePhone SIM slot
Hello fellow PinePhone enthusiasts,

I received my PinePhone yesterday Feb 13 2012.
I wanted to experiment with one of the different OS available.
When I tried to remove my sim card it got stuck and 3 connector pins were damaged in the process.
I am writing this post to warn those of you who are about to set up you PinePhone for the first time.
Please be careful when placing/removing the SIM card with the sim adapter that is included in the box.
In my experience the provided sim adapter was rough around the edges and the SIM slot is extremely fragile.
I have opened a support ticket so hopefully it will be covered by the product warranty.
If not for this issue I have to say that I am quite satisfied with the delivered product.
(02-13-2021, 09:04 AM)Niek Wrote: Hello fellow PinePhone enthusiasts,

When I tried to remove my sim card it got stuck and 3 connector pins were damaged in the process.
I am writing this post to warn those of you who are about to set up you PinePhone for the first time.
Please be careful when placing/removing the SIM card with the sim adapter that is included in the box.
In my experience the provided sim adapter was rough around the edges and the SIM slot is extremely fragile.
I have opened a support ticket so hopefully it will be covered by the product warranty.
If not for this issue I have to say that I am quite satisfied with the delivered product.

Well, I have just done the same thing.  In my case, I read the wiki https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone which made no mention of the sim adapter, and so I tried to put the sim card directly into the lower slot.  It didn't fit, of course, and the process of extracting my sim card, as carefully as I could, has wrecked the card and most likely damaged the PinePhone as well.
(02-18-2021, 05:31 PM)jhmorton Wrote:

Well, I have just done the same thing.  In my case, I read the wiki https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone which made no mention of the sim adapter, and so I tried to put the sim card directly into the lower slot.  It didn't fit, of course, and the process of extracting my sim card, as carefully as I could, has wrecked the card and most likely damaged the PinePhone as well.

same here, I wanted to keep the adapter in a safe place, so I pushed it into the slot without SIM card. Stupid idea. Since it was entirely my fault, I will not open a ticket. Luckily I could not resist and also ordered one of the few KDE Plasma Edition phones and will try to fix the broken SIM Slot once that has arrived. If I fail, I hope replacement boards will become available.
(02-21-2021, 01:46 AM)anhilde Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 05:31 PM)jhmorton Wrote:

same here, I wanted to keep the adapter in a safe place, so I pushed it into the slot without SIM card. Stupid idea. Since it was entirely my fault, I will not open a ticket. Luckily I could not resist and also ordered one of the few KDE Plasma Edition phones and will try to fix the broken SIM Slot once that has arrived. If I fail, I hope replacement boards will become available.

Just did the same thing trying not to lose the tray, were you able to get it out at all?  Would've been nice to have a warning in the quick start guide (or an ejection lever or something).
Had a similar issue. One hacky way of fixing it is removing the end of the adapter (cutting the end). this will allow you to insert the sim card and press down on the pins. After the pins are pressed down you should be able to remove sim card and the adapter (in theory). I only attempted the insertion step, so be careful when performing the removal.
(05-14-2021, 05:42 AM)ganaxe Wrote: Had a similar issue. One hacky way of fixing it is removing the end of the adapter (cutting the end). this will allow you to insert the sim card and press down on the pins. After the pins are pressed down you should be able to remove sim card and the adapter (in theory). I only attempted the insertion step, so be careful when performing the removal.

Ugh. Nano SIM fell out of the adapter when I was putting it in the SIM tray slot. But not, of course, before I managed to get it hooked on the contacts. I have not attempted to extract it yet. You mentioned cutting (off?) the bottom of the adapter and then sliding the SIM card in to press the contacts down. Do you have a suggested technique for a (feeling foolish) fellow traveller?
It’s happened to me and others as reported in other threads. It is a serious design flaw. I wish they had used a nano SIM slot size. I was able to solder mine to repair it.
(07-07-2021, 03:45 PM)alriks Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 05:42 AM)ganaxe Wrote: Had a similar issue. One hacky way of fixing it is removing the end of the adapter (cutting the end). this will allow you to insert the sim card and press down on the pins. After the pins are pressed down you should be able to remove sim card and the adapter (in theory). I only attempted the insertion step, so be careful when performing the removal.

Resolution: After a fair bit about thought about ganaxe's suggestion I ended up using the following:

Situation: SIM adapter was inserted without an actual SIM in it and became "trapped" on the SIM contacts. I did not try to pull it out too aggressively, but it was definitely hooked.

1. Per above, I used fingernail clippers to snip the rim of the adapter (at the point where the adapter is thin) where it was accessible and sticking out of the slot. Don't clip all the way to the edge or you won't have anything to grip when you try to pull the adapter out later. The clipping required me to gently twist the piece I was cutting in order to remove it. It's in the picture to the right.

2. Then you can insert your SIM card under the window in the adapter. Take your time. Be gentle. This will lift the adapter to the same level as the SIM card and most importantly off the contacts.

3. Here's the tricky part. I used a combo of a smearing technique and a little wiggling at both corners to get the SIM and the adapter cleared from the slot. Take your time. Be gentle. It will come back out, but it's a lot of fiddling. A little bit of painter's tape or something sticky on your finger might help.

Next? A metal adapter...

[Image: view?usp=drivesdk]
Well it's a bit too late for me reading this thread. I got the phone yesterday, charged it and and played around with it for a bit, and today decided to switch my sim from my iPhone to the Pine phone. It was virtually impossible to do because the sim kept falling out of the plastic container provided. In the end it got partially stuck in and on taking it out, snapped off part of the 4th pin.

This is a terrible design. I don't see how you are supposed to get a sim card in unless it is already one of the right size.

Is it possible to take out the sim socket and replace it? I've not taken the back off to have a look, so I don't know.
When this happened to me, I told Pine64 and they offered to replace the phone. Do they still do that? In my case, I fixed it with soldering and saved them the money because I want them to succeed. This problem is often reported and it quite a design flaw. They are shipping out new phones. Have they done anything about this problem? Has Pine64 said anything official about this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,147 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,605 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,669 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma