Use SD to install new OS over pinebook debian
Hello,

Firstly, sorry if this isn't where I should post this, I'm a first time poster. Just let me know and I'll move it.

I''m trying to use an SD of the Debian Desktop Community Build Image [microSD to eMMC] (which is the same OS as my pinebook pro laptop) to install a new OS over the OS on my pinebook. I have been able to access the live boot on the SD card, but don't know where to go from here. I have installed other linux distros over other OSs in the past using bootable USBs before, but the procedure for this seems to be different. None of the normal prompts are appearing.

So far I've updated and upgraded. At this point, I'm not sure whether the changes I've made are applying only to the SD card or to the actual hard drive, I suspect just the SD card.

Any help with installing an OS to the actual laptop is appreciated!
Quote:I'm having issues flashing to an SD card. Every time I try to dd flash to drive, I get an error: the Manjaro file cannot be found. I used to work with an older Pinebook Pro for my cheap essay help at college. Everything was normal with a sd card then.

Hi,

Try 'lsblk' command, if you are using dd. Also, run the command 'sync' after 'dd'. Check the discussion in r/PINE64official/ >> Pinebook Pro OS install Issue.
(02-10-2021, 08:45 PM)Rudy558 Wrote: Hello,

Firstly, sorry if this isn't where I should post this, I'm a first time poster. Just let me know and I'll move it.

I''m trying to use an SD of the Debian Desktop Community Build Image [microSD to eMMC] (which is the same OS as my pinebook pro laptop) to install a new OS over the OS on my pinebook. I have been able to access Whatsapp Plus APK Android live boot on the SD card, but don't know where to go from here. I have installed other linux distros over other OSs in the past using bootable USBs before, but the procedure for this seems to be different. None of the normal prompts are appearing.

So far I've updated and upgraded. At this point, I'm not sure whether the changes I've made are applying only to the SD card or to the actual hard drive, I suspect just the SD card https://apkedi.com/.

Do I need a a separate device to make it work? what do I do? I have installed debian desktop for pbp onto an sd card but it doesn't have any install options.
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/NOOB#Flashi..._a_SD_Boot

You need to put your debian.img on the SD (redownload or copy from your pc) and you need to issue the dd command from terminal as stated in the wiki
While these two downloadable tools are designed to use an SD card to install an OS to a Pinephone or Pinetab device, I wonder if either one would work on a Pinebook? Perhaps someone else with more knowledge can chime in here.

Balena Etcher
Jumpdrive

Below is a link to a YouTube video that describes the process:
How to flash OS images on the Pinephone (SD or eMMC)
https://youtu.be/7HMkU43P9hw
Now I can't get my PBP to boot from SD card. There is no splash screen anymore, it just boots into bionic which I managed to install, but I don't like it at all.

[UNRELATED URL REMOVED BY MOD]
(08-25-2021, 06:24 AM)keith1fletcher Wrote: [UNRELATED URL REMOVED BY MOD]

unable to send you a pm for this, sorry, but please do not use posts or your signature to advertise unrelated services. Thank you. /offtopic

I''m trying to use an SD of the Debian Desktop Community Build Image [microSD to eMMC] (which is the same OS as my pinebook pro laptop) to install a new OS over the OS on my pinebook. I have been able to access the live boot on the SD card, but don't know where to go from here. I have installed other linux distros over other OSs in the past using bootable USBs before, but the procedure for this seems to be different. None of the normal prompts are appearing.

So far I've updated and upgraded. At this point, I'm not sure whether the changes I've made are applying only to the SD card or to the actual hard drive, I suspect just the SD card.

The "Jump drive" method may work,    it is mentioned many times in the forum,   and I think in the wiki.

Then there is also the usb to eMMC adapter sold in the Pine Store,   with that you can flash your removable eMMC quite simply.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
@Rudy558

First of all the arm 'SOC'  systems do not have the traditional 'Bios'

I have been quite busy playing with my Pine phone recently so I have lost touch with the Pinebook Pro.  BUT,

When I last looked at the PBP wiki most of the operating systems that you could download from there had 2 listings, One for sd cards and one for the eMMC,

When you downloaded the OS for the eMMC it included a boot or preboot section that gives priority to boot from the sd card "If a bootable sd card is present"

> However,  When you install an OS from a different source,  You lose that ability to automatically boot from the sd card...

>>> There are manual methods, using the CL or terminal to keep that function....

This was covered a lot back in the 2019 and early 2020 Forums...  Perhaps look back there for better detailed information.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-10-2021, 01:11 AM)osmana Wrote:

I''m trying to use an SD of the Debian Desktop Community Build Image [microSD to eMMC] (which is the same OS as my pinebook pro laptop) to install a new OS over the OS on my pinebook. I have been able to access gb whatsapp live boot on the SD card, but don't know where to go from here. I have installed other linux distros over other OSs in the past using bootable USBs before, but the procedure for this seems to be different. None of the normal prompts are appearing.

Do I need a a separate device to make it work? what do I do? I have installed debian desktop for pbp onto an sd card but it doesn't have any install options.

I think you don't need to implement this on a separate device if you already having this issue, but you can change your sd card if you were unable to solve the issue and install debian.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,902 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,219 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,121 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt