Green power LED not working
The green power LED on my Pinephone has stopped working though the phone works normally otherwise. It's been a while since I had this thing apart - are the LEDs integrated into the mainboard? I'm wondering if it could be a loose connection, but if soldered to the mainboard I assume the LED just went bad. It's only a minor nuisance since everything else seems to work OK, aside from the vibrator which I'd posted about previously.

No power light, no vibrator... maybe the battery will last a wee bit longer. Big Grin
It seems to be licorice allsorts depending which release you have. On the one hand Arch does a red LED during boot, then a vibrate and a blue LED for notifications. It even has some sort of haptic feedback on squeakboard when I am prodding away with 1 finger.

Mobian used to have an LED during boot (green?) and vibrate, neither of which I am getting at the moment. But I do get a blue notification LED.

In both cases I update daily, so this is a current status that may change shortly.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Used to be though the green LED would light up when powering up the Pinephone before the OS loaded, so I don't think it's an OS issue. That LED just stopped indicating power on status at some point.
Hi,

this should be moved to the Mobian Software folder...
Anyway, got the same here. No LED on Mobian at startup.

Normally the LED should get triggered by the bootloader (u-boot should do this).
Looking at the patch sets, LED support had been added a while ago:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/sunxi...d5227cbadc

Maybe something went wrong here... they also changed the release to 2021.

EDIT:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/sunxi..._defconfig

This should be added: CONFIG_PINEPHONE_LEDS=y

As the different distributution use different source trees as their code base, the state of these low-level packages may vary.
Same goes for the kernel.

It may take a while to get things sorted out nicely and add all the patches for the pinephone here and then.

Regards,
scholbert
Ah, didn't realize it was u-boot triggering the LED, thought it was a hardware thing. As you say I'm sure it will ultimately get sorted out and it's not really a vital issue.
You can also test your LEDs by manually turning them on: Write 1 to /sys/class/devices/platform/leds/leds/[color]:indicator/brightness to turn on the desired color and 0 to turn it back off.
(02-08-2021, 08:28 AM)kqlnut Wrote: You can also test your LEDs by manually turning them on: Write 1 to /sys/class/devices/platform/leds/leds/[color]:indicator/brightness to turn on the desired color and 0 to turn it back off.

Thanks, I tried that and the light is indeed working so it is just a software issue. (Tested all the lights that way and they're all working.)
(02-07-2021, 07:26 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: The green power LED on my Pinephone has stopped working though the phone works normally otherwise. It's been a while since I had this thing apart - are the LEDs integrated into the mainboard? I'm wondering if it could be a loose connection, but if soldered to the mainboard I assume the LED just went bad. It's only a minor nuisance since everything else seems to work OK, aside from the vibrator which I'd posted about previously.

No power light, no vibrator... maybe the battery will last a wee bit longer. Big Grin
The green LED signals the start of the boot up process again after the u-boot update from yesterday in Mobian.
(02-12-2021, 01:00 AM)fernando_c_m Wrote: The green LED signals the start of the boot up process again after the u-boot update from yesterday in Mobian.

Yes, I installed Mobian updates this morning and the green LED is back at boot time. Nice to have that visual confirmation of power-up since my vibration motor is not working.
A followup on the vibration motor, I've been thinking all this time that it was not working and that I must have damaged it while installing the replacement USB-C board. However it seems that it's just a Mobian software issue after all. I decided to run the PostmarketOS diagnostics and the first thing it did on powerup was to vibrate the phone! (Since Mobian now flashes the green LED on boot presumably at some point it will work the vibrator as well.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 365 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 10 8,819 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: kbm
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,411 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  Power supply vs battery albafrati 11 4,327 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  Hardware switch for mic is not working properly submariner 10 7,355 01-25-2022, 07:01 AM
Last Post: wibble
  New vibration motor not working Zebulon Walton 5 5,407 11-13-2021, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Power consumption during the call some_pinephone_user 0 1,094 10-29-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  on off power button stopped working dcinoz 3 2,450 09-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Won't boot until connected to power after sudden power loss brb78 1 1,663 08-30-2021, 12:41 AM
Last Post: bcnaz