Is there a severe bug in the encrypted installer?
Hi all!

I have encountered what I suspect might be a severe bug regarding the encrypted installer from (?) 15 Dec:

I installed this from an sdcard no worries, to try it out. worked fine.
Then using jumpdrive I installed it to 2 pinephones, first and second ce versions, 2Gig and 3Gig. Also worked fine on both.

Now the problems start:

To have an experimental system to tryout updates before committing myself to changing my installed system, I made a fresh install of the encrypted installer onto an sdcard, and booted from it, and let it go through it's standard setup process, choosing to enable encryption in the process. I thought this would leave the installed system on the phone alone.

The setup process did not quite complete, it displayed the progress bar for a few minutes, getting to about 93%, then I suppose it tryed to reboot or something, but ended up with a blank, faintly lit screen, which did not progress any further.

When I removed the sdcard, and tryed to boot the phone from the internal storage, it did not succeed, and displayed the message: "cryptsetup waiting for encrypted source device UUID: then a bunch of characters followed this"

I created another encrypted installer image on an sdcard, and tryed it on my other pinephone, and the same thing happened, it did not succeed in the installation on the sdcard, and after that the existing encrypted installation on the internal storage would not boot.

I then tryed reflashing the encrypted installer onto one of the phones using jumpdrive, and going throught the setup process again from the internal storage, choosing to enable encryption, and this worked well.

-I wonder it the encrypted intaller is becoming confused at some point, in cases where it is installing to an sdcard, but where there is already a copy of the encrypted system on the internal storage of the phone? -Could it be looking for a particular storage type/name/uuid and finding the one on internal storage first, and overwriting it or something?

Great system regardless, and I am very grateful that it exists!

All the best, hope this is helpful feedback?
(02-04-2021, 07:53 PM)rp3 Wrote: Hi all!

I have encountered what I suspect might be a severe bug regarding the encrypted installer from (?) 15 Dec:

Then using jumpdrive I installed it to 2 pinephones, first and second ce versions, 2Gig and 3Gig. Also worked fine on both.

Now the problems start:

To have an experimental system to tryout updates before committing myself to changing my installed system, I made a fresh install of the encrypted installer onto an sdcard, and booted from it, and let it go through it's standard setup process, choosing to enable encryption in the process. I thought this would leave the installed system on the phone alone.

The setup process did not quite complete, it displayed the progress bar for a few minutes, getting to about 93%, then I suppose it tryed to reboot or something, but ended up with a blank, faintly lit screen, which did not progress any further.

When I removed the sdcard, and tryed to boot the phone from the internal storage, it did not succeed, and displayed the message: "cryptsetup waiting for encrypted source device UUID: then a bunch of characters followed this"

I created another encrypted installer image on an sdcard, and tryed it on my other pinephone, and the same thing happened, it did not succeed in the installation on the sdcard, and after that the existing encrypted installation on the internal storage would not boot.

I then tryed reflashing the encrypted installer onto one of the phones using jumpdrive, and going throught the setup process again from the internal storage, choosing to enable encryption, and this worked well.

-I wonder it the encrypted intaller is becoming confused at some point, in cases where it is installing to an sdcard, but where there is already a copy of the encrypted system on the internal storage of the phone? -Could it be looking for a particular storage type/name/uuid and finding the one on internal storage first, and overwriting it or something?

Seems like this bug

https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/235
(02-05-2021, 04:40 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:

Now the problems start:

Seems like this bug

Yep, the installers create /boot partitions with the same UUID, so when installing it the 2nd time it can mount the wrong /boot partition. One of our devs is on it.
(02-08-2021, 01:04 AM)spaetz Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 04:40 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:

Now the problems start:

Seems like this bug

Yep, the installers create /boot partitions with the same UUID, so when installing it the 2nd time it can mount the wrong /boot partition. One of our devs is on it.

Thanks for he info!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most recent Mobian image or installer image known to work? DrPlamsa 13 4,615 02-26-2023, 11:47 PM
Last Post: SukiiPooru
  Mobian-installer on bookworm? juju 4 3,262 10-04-2021, 02:09 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Encrypted ZFS as root filesystem 3939 0 1,196 08-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Last Post: 3939