What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
Order from most wanted to least (from my perspective) but all I consider important

Email client - (I'm sorry but Geary is not usable for me even on the linux desktop) and plasma mobile doesn't have any client yet
xmpp client - supporting OMEMO and audio/video calls - (like android Conversations app)
battery usage app - similar to what you can get in battery info in Android 11 (various statistics like estimated time until it runs off energy, list of apps using the battery the most etc)
scanner app - to be able to scan via mobile using SANE (in desktop ubuntu I use "document scanner") in LAN
youtube frontend app (not the youtube app by google) - equivalent e.g to android NewPipe
navigation app  - using the openstreet map (equivalent to osmand android app)
podcast client (antennapod on android)
feeds reader (Feeder on android)
voice recording app (on android I use the one from Simple Mobile tools via F-droid)

some of these maybe exist and are working properly already today, but lack of good email client is pretty sad IMHO.
There are many others too ( I consider important in order to switch from AOSP) like the camera app, web browser ...(megapixels is really just a demo currently and FF with specific settings is just a workaround too)

I consider a good android emulator as must have too unfortunately (that is only for few financial apps I _have to_ use, like mobile internet banking ..), because I doubt that such apps will ever have responsive linux mobile alternatives (they are usually ios/android exclusive)
(04-14-2021, 12:26 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote: (snip)
A bible reader knows about chapter and verse, and can switch between versions, and between bibles and commentaries, and can work with dictionaries and concordances.  On androids, I use mysword, https://www.mysword.info/.  (snip)

The Sword project is FOSS, Sword/Crosswire project has several forks that compile for Linux
https://wiki.crosswire.org/Main_Page
another fork unlisted above is Rapier which was built for the Nokia N900/Maemo5 Linux.
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/rapier/
(04-13-2021, 05:00 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote: I would really like to have a decent bible-reading app, and an HP41CX emulator.  A solid solution for running Android apps would deliver both, and a whole lot more.

For Android apps there's Anbox. It's slow to start and a RAM hog, but it generally works.

As far as Bible apps are concerned, LINMOBapps lists two options already, which both work reasonably well:
How many of these in-thread requests are already available? For example Debian has quite a few already in the repos if you can get the unstable working(that only requires the project to document how to do this in the wiki).  Though these apps will run they may not scale properly and may not have a way to interact properly or launch the keyboard.
I imported most of these to https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=wishlist
Sign up and work on this too, your Mobian work is applicable to and will enhance most other pinephone distros.
(04-14-2021, 01:47 PM)p1trson Wrote: Email client - (I'm sorry but Geary is not usable for me even on the linux desktop) and plasma mobile doesn't have any client yet

Would you tell me, why you don't like geary? I use the web interface on the desktop but on my pinephone geary looks and works very well for me.

I would like to have a working car navigation app so I can get rid of my old navigation device.
(02-03-2021, 03:57 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: LBRY

(I don't have a PinePhone, but when I do, that's something I'll really look forward to having)
LBRY on android is Java, so you could potentially run it with openjdk
https://github.com/lbryio/lbry-android/t...ry/browser
It is also open source.
(04-14-2021, 01:47 PM)p1trson Wrote: I consider a good android emulator as must have too unfortunately (that is only for few financial apps I _have to_ use, like mobile internet banking ..), because I doubt that such apps will ever have responsive linux mobile alternatives (they are usually ios/android exclusive)

I sort of mentioned this up thread, but I think it bears repeating.  Most of these "apps" could easily be replaced with web sites.  Most of which are quite mobile friendly nowadays (with handheld devices far outselling PCs since years now).  Many of these "apps" are in fact just a simple wrapper around a web page (including many banking apps, I know our credit union's app certainly is).

Understand that Android / iOS "apps" are mainly about locking you in to those platforms.  Which is exactly what we are trying to get away from here.   Wink  We all should be using web sites instead as much as possible (and requesting they be maintained from places we do business with), lest they disappear as an alternative.

Protocols, not platforms!  Smile
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(06-01-2021, 07:26 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: (snip)I sort of mentioned this up thread, but I think it bears repeating.  Most of these "apps" could easily be replaced with web sites.  (snip)

For external services I 100% agree with wrappered web apps, but for anything else I require native FOSS code without having to access a website all local.
For example I have a student who I helped load LineageOS with microG onto their phone, all mapping is local though presents an API that spoofs google maps, even though they were outside telephone and data range this student could use the Openstreetmaps resources cached and updated on the device to get their class un-lost on a backcountry hike using only GPS and Hall sensor compass without needing their paper map.
I always try to plan on not having conventional commercial voice and data, so in addition to a local data horde I am looking forward to what Pine64 is bringing with the LoRa, POCSAG paging, and maybe some amateur radio too.
I would prefer to have my gadgets mostly not even notice the end of civilization.
For the purposes of this thread though I encourage everyone to put your requests including those I missed from this thread(please include a git/source link), including wrapped web apps here:
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=wishlist
system wide feature requests can be made here:
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...m-features
and this is the instructions to make a web app, I feel like we need to decide on a way to submit/share working web apps to a separate web app repo so as websites change updates are easy to push:
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=webapps
Xiphos and Bibletime are both available for Manjaro. Xiphos works, and I will probably like it on my desktop, but it simply doesn't fit the screen on the Pinephone. It was nearly impossible to load modules because much of the interface was off-screen! I was finally able to get some bibles loaded, but still can't really use it because too much is hidden, off-screen.

Bibletime kind of works, maybe, So far I haven't been able to get it to download a KJV bible module. It may be a connectivity problem rather than a problem with the program.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,078 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,522 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,478 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,599 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,665 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma