What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
I did some digging and it seems that briar is now in alpha for linux
https://code.briarproject.org/briar/bria.../README.md
Instructions to build, deb, and flatpack for x86/amd64, there is a native Librem 5 build near completion, they need to get the headless Briarserver for ARM working.
For those who do not know Briar can propogate via internet over TOX network, spread via a common unconnected wifi network, or virally via sneakernet bluetooth relay or a combination of all above; it also has usenet like discussion threads in addition to IM.
With Briar for secure apocalypse resistant communications between us and the android client and Trifa in the post above for secure text, voice, and video chat(and there is an iphone, linux, mac, and windws clients) we will be well equipped for telco free communications.
Another important app with functionality I use frequently but have not seen on any OS other than Maemo5(Nokia N900) is HeySMS.
HeySMS listens on the LAN for any chat client running Bonjour protocol, Pidgin is what I run on my Ubuntu computer, it shows contacts you choose on the phone as IM contacts which you can IM-->SMS as well as receive a copy of incoming SMSs form the phone.
https://github.com/titilambert/HeySms
HeySMS is also nice as it reports the caller ID, it means I can wear a BT headset to answer calls and still screen my calls with my phone in my backpack.
(02-03-2021, 03:30 PM)deedend Wrote: a good, system wise, password manager (possibly compatible with Keepass database).

Nothing system-wide about it, but there's an app by the generic name of Password Safe that seems to be mostly functional. The harder part so far has been getting my database synced. I've had a miserable time, both on Manjaro and on PostmarketOS, getting Plasma's built-in Nextcloud thingy to play nice with other programs. Gotta download the Nextcloud client, which does not fit on screen, and then use the cli to sync manually.

Nightmarish. I just won't be altering any passwords on the phone.
(03-14-2021, 11:57 AM)ChanceNCounter Wrote: The harder part so far has been getting my database synced. I've had a miserable time, both on Manjaro and on PostmarketOS, getting Plasma's built-in Nextcloud thingy to play nice with other programs. Gotta download the Nextcloud client, which does not fit on screen, and then use the cli to sync manually.

Nightmarish. I just won't be altering any passwords on the phone.

Have you tried SyncThing instead? I am still waiting for my PinePhone (so I have not used it there yet), but I have been using it for years on Android and regular GNU/Linux without a hiccup.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
One PinePhone application I'd like to see, and would even pay money for, is a "Call Blocker" application, when I can tell my phone to block all calls from numbers that are not in my Contacts, or in a White List.

This application would be worth at least $10 to me.
I hate random calls for people I don't know, or want to waste time talking to.
+1 for a call/sms blocker

I'd also like a good YouTube front-end, no tracking, no ads... like Newpipe for Android, or Freetube.

Perhaps a more feature rich torrent client. Does Transmission on UBports work with magnet links yet?

A good app for audiobook playback would be nice too.
(03-24-2021, 12:45 PM)neil_swann80 Wrote: +1 for a call/sms blocker

I'd also like a good YouTube front-end, no tracking, no ads... like Newpipe for Android, or Freetube.

Perhaps a more feature rich torrent client.  Does Transmission on UBports work with magnet links yet?

If we had an app for Audible I'd probably only use my old phone for calls.
(03-24-2021, 12:45 PM)neil_swann80 Wrote: +1 for a call/sms blocker

Perhaps a more feature rich torrent client.  Does Transmission on UBports work with magnet links yet?

Freetube actually works very well.

Transmission work on Phosh with scale-to-fit.
Battery friendly mode which lets you use only programs for SMS and Phone Calls. Should kill and hide anything else. This is useful when your battery is low on charge and every minute more of device usage helps.

No DRM will be good. The phone should stay open. We already have Android and iPhone for all the closed stuff. Smile
(03-26-2021, 02:30 AM)bosi564 Wrote: Battery friendly mode which lets you use only programs for SMS and Phone Calls. Should kill and hide anything else. This is useful when your battery is low on charge and every minute more of device usage helps.

No DRM will be good. The phone should stay open. We already have Android and iPhone for all the closed stuff. Smile

Since I have over 700 Audible books, DRM is an issue for me. Right now the only solution is to manually remove the DRM, which takes a LOT of time, and convert them to MP3's.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 302 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 199 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 470 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,014 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,719 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 574 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,257 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 475 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,636 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,854 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma