What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
(09-03-2021, 06:41 PM)ryo Wrote: F-Droid is what I understand the least out of those, it's technically like a fancy looking Aptitude, which exists in Debian-based OSs for decades.

Perhaps I somewhat missed your meaning, but did you not use Android before PinePhone?

F-Droid is an alternative repo / market, except containing exclusively F/LOSS.

Along with AOSP based ROMs like Cyanogenmod / Lineage, I consider it one of main things making Android usable at all these last many years.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(09-07-2021, 08:09 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 06:41 PM)ryo Wrote: F-Droid is what I understand the least out of those, it's technically like a fancy looking Aptitude, which exists in Debian-based OSs for decades.

Perhaps I somewhat missed your meaning, but did you not use Android before PinePhone?

F-Droid is an alternative repo / market, except containing exclusively F/LOSS.

Along with AOSP based ROMs like Cyanogenmod / Lineage, I consider it one of main things making Android usable at all these last many years.

What I mean is, why do we need to add F-Droid to Linux if we already have something like that on Linux for decades?
Admittedly, most distro's don't distribute exclusively FOSS apps, but adding F-Droid to Linux is like adding Snapd and Flatpack which are doing pretty much the same thing as native package managers, except adding extra bloatware to the mix.

Look at Ubuntu for example:
・aptitude
・apt-get
・apt
・snap
・flatpack

Then you can optionally add nvm, pip, composer, or whatever other development-specific package manager that can double as desktop app package managers.

And this used to be just the first 2 a decade ago, and only the first 2 decades ago.
Now let's add F-Droid to the mix just to cause even more confusion to the users, because why not! ┐(´д`)┌

And then everyone is wondering why both mr. Torvalds and mr. Stallman are complaining about Linux getting bloated...
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(02-03-2021, 03:34 AM)kern707 Wrote: What native (mobile optimized) applications would you like to see becoming available for the PinePhone in the near future?

I am not talking about existing applications that are currently not compatible, I am talking about applications that exist on other platforms (such as Android), but are not available for linux phones, and that you would love to have on your PinePhone.

This thread is in order to put together some opinions, that will help developers decide what the end-customer really need / want on their PinePhone, and maybe give it a higher priority.

Any input will be very much appreciated :-)

I would love to see an app like this one here bellow, it is an app to update eletric scooter's firmware.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...n_US&gl=US
(09-07-2021, 10:50 PM)ryo Wrote: What I mean is, why do we need to add F-Droid to Linux if we already have something like that on Linux for decades?

We don't. I was just trying to explain some context, that F-Droid is a project to bring some actual F/LOSS to Android platform. Which of course we have already had on GNU/Linux for a long time.

Anyway I think it was just some confusion (and lack of understanding history/context) from guy you were replying to in first place.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(09-07-2021, 10:50 PM)ryo Wrote: (snip)What I mean is, why do we need to add F-Droid to Linux if we already have something like that on Linux for decades?(snip

I have already investigated what they are using for a builder re:a pinephone contrib repo for the big user pool GNU-Linux OSs.  It is probably just publishing pinephone specific design skinned apps on flathub, as almost everything on flathub is nearly unusable on mobile as it is for desktop.  The best thing about f-droid in our use case is that they have a nice website and app UI for mobile users, we can use it as a target for what a future community-contrib app or repo should look and act like.
Right now we have a bit of a problem as there are several hardware compatible platforms for manjaro, KDE, mobian, etc and for Pinephone to survive and thrive as an everyday useful smartphone there needs to be a way for pinephone users as a community to publish their apps beyond git-->compile like it was 1997.  The rich app catalog for the Nokia Maemo devices is testament to what can happen if there is an easy dev environment and an attached software repo even if each OS iteration in that case was target at one single hardware device.
We need either a special repo for every major OS or we as the pine community need to commit to publishing pine optimized software to flathub and featuring these in the software app.
(02-03-2021, 03:34 AM)kern707 Wrote: What native (mobile optimized) applications would you like to see becoming available for the PinePhone in the near future?

I am not talking about existing applications that are currently not compatible, I am talking about applications that exist on other platforms (such as Android), but are not available for linux phones, and that you would love to have on your PinePhone.

This thread is in order to put together some opinions, that will help developers decide what the end-customer really need / want on their PinePhone, and maybe give it a higher priority.

A YouTube client like NewPipe would be helpful.
(11-27-2021, 04:28 AM)Avisando Wrote:

A YouTube client like NewPipe would be helpful.

Have you tried SXMO (Post Market OS & Arch Linux Arm support it)? It comes with youtube-dl scripts for video or audio only through mpv. It's a bit of a learning curve but really reliable after learning the basics.
Does Pinephone have google maps?
(11-27-2021, 10:35 AM)Rahac Wrote: Does Pinephone have google maps?

Only via browser. Pure Maps is probably the closest standalone equivalent.
(11-28-2021, 03:44 AM)wibble Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 10:35 AM)Rahac Wrote: Does Pinephone have google maps?

Only via browser. Pure Maps is probably the closest standalone equivalent.

So I can only use google maps as thru browser and is it working normally like the app or there are some problems while driving not showing the exact position where are you and other kinds of stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 300 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,148 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,939 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,480 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,607 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,670 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma