Tip disconnected
Hi all !

I've received today a USB C cable, and could finally test my pinecil in good conditions. I've run a test with a barrel connector when I first received the iron, but the connector was too small to fit into the plug, so I had to keep it in place with one hand !

So, I've started to look at what settings are available in the menu, and once I had done a tour, wanted to try using it. I had a strange problem, which was a steady "420 °C" where the display usually flickrs quickly around the set temperature. I eventually discovered that the tip was at room temperature, and the detailled idle screen told me that the tip was disconnected. I've tested each one of the 5 tips I have, that are all new and unused, same problem.

Anybody having the same problem ? What kind of solution may be applied to this ?

i've found another thread discribing the exact same problem, here : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12673 but there is no indication that the problem has been solved...

Thank you all !
Hello to all.

it's been a long time since this post. I've wrote to pine64 to expose the problem, and they kindly sent a new working one to me. However, I needed to try and resolve this problem.

It appears that the problem was caused by a succession of events :
The iron was first working, but suddenly displayed a crazy, steady temperature.
It was then auto-calibrated, which gives back a normal temperature on the screen, but says that there is no tip.
After thinking that maybe the tip is broken for whatever reason, I've tried every one I had (the one that came with plus the four tips in the kit), each one of them bringing the same "tip disconnected" message.

Here is the trick : when I've started to have this crazy temperature, it was because of a dead tip. And I've recalibrated the iron with this dead tip, so every other one I tried didn't appears, because the software sees whatever resistive value beyond the threshold of a working tip. By recalibrating the iron with each other tips, I finally had it back, with the normal behavior of dead tips having the display saying "disconnected", and working ones displaying the temperature.

Hope it will help ! And that maybe a check could be added to the hardware / software ?
(05-11-2021, 04:09 AM)troisis_type Wrote: Here is the trick : when I've started to have this crazy temperature, it was because of a dead tip. And I've recalibrated the iron with this dead tip, so every other one I tried didn't appears, because the software sees whatever resistive value beyond the threshold of a working tip. By recalibrating the iron with each other tips, I finally had it back, with the normal behavior of dead tips having the display saying "disconnected", and working ones displaying the temperature.

Hope it will help ! And that maybe a check could be added to the hardware / software ?

Thank you troisis.  It's not obvious this would happen, but when you explain it, it makes sense.

I guess I would call this post a good "tip".  See what I did there? Rolleyes