Mobian Pinephone already out of stock
Hello

With it being the end of the month and pay day, I was all set to order the PinePhone convergence edition, but it wasn't in stock very long, it is now out of stock.

I read the blog post that this is the last community edition. Will there be any more PinePhones? Or does it mean the last edition with this hardware and new hardware in the coming months? 

Rich
In regards to your question, "Will there be any more PinePhones?", I'd say almost certainly yes. Just understand that China is headed for their new year and things are delayed somewhat because of the holiday.

For the more expensive and or newer items, Pine64 tends to use pre-order, then build method. Keeps stock down and they can be sure of what they build is sold. That keeps money tied up in inventory down.

As for when you can next order a PinePhone, it will likely be a month. Sorry. But, in someways, the longer since original release, the better the software variety and experience.

Someone from Pine64 can give you more complete information.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(01-30-2021, 06:15 AM)richieeee Wrote: I read the blog post that this is the last community edition. Will there be any more PinePhones? Or does it mean the last edition with this hardware and new hardware in the coming months? 

The Community Editions have come with a specific distribution on them and with the back cover branded with that distribution's art. And supposedly $10/phone would go to those developers.

After the last Community Edition, they will sell phones without back cover branding—and maybe without an OS pre-installed, but I don't know. For that matter, maybe they'll stop selling in batches and requiring pre-orders, and people will be able to order and have them shipped right away, but AFAIK no one has said yet. (And they will sell distribution-branded back covers separately.)
When I checked the store today the mobian had the add to cart button available.  I left the page to check a youtube review of mobian and came back and pressed the button to make the purchase and an error popped up saying I could not place an item in the cart that was out of stock.

I also am very anxious to hear when I will be able to pre-order and when the next batch is expected.
I hate to be "that guy" but I must of purchased the last convergence model Smile It coming to a guy with many years of Linux experience so it's not all gloom.

I want to improve my systems programming knowledge and learn a bit of rust at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something useful.
(01-30-2021, 06:15 AM)richieeee Wrote: Will there be any more PinePhones? Or does it mean the last edition with this hardware and new hardware in the coming months? 

PINE64 said that it will be offering future PinePhones that cost $100 more that come with a standard warranty and support. This could mean that there will be that no more PinePhone Community Editions that cost $149/$199, and you will have to pay $249/$299 to get the PinePhone in the future. That will make me sad that I waited too long to buy the Convergence Package.

Another possibility is that PINE64 will continue to sell something like a "developers edition" with a one month warranty and zero support for $149/$199 that won't have the logo of any distro on it, but I don't think that is likely.
@amosbatto The PinePhone, and other Pine64 products, are officially going to continue at the normal price with 1 month warranty.

The new retail store is for people who want a more regular support channel, beyond the wiki, forum and various chats available. This would involve more money for the product, yet compared to other products, it may still be worth it.

Pine64 has various blogs with more, (and possible corrected), information.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(02-12-2021, 09:53 AM)Arwen Wrote: @amosbatto The PinePhone, and other Pine64 products, are officially going to continue at the normal price with 1 month warranty.

Yes, as said in this amazing blog post:  https://www.pine64.org/2020/12/02/pine-s...il-stores/
(02-11-2021, 05:46 PM)amosbatto Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 06:15 AM)richieeee Wrote: Will there be any more PinePhones? Or does it mean the last edition with this hardware and new hardware in the coming months? 

PINE64 said that it will be offering future PinePhones that cost $100 more that come with a standard warranty and support. This could mean that there will be that no more PinePhone Community Editions that cost $149/$199, and you will have to pay $249/$299 to get the PinePhone in the future. That will make me sad that I waited too long to buy the Convergence Package.

Another possibility is that PINE64 will continue to sell something like a "developers edition" with a one month warranty and zero support for $149/$199 that won't have the logo of any distro on it, but I don't think that is likely.
Yes it will be a shame if you can't buy a PinePhone at the same price points. The community editions was a nice idea to give back. It also seems apparent PinePhone success is dependent on Phosh from Purism and a donation to their devs could help improve Phosh for everyone.

I'm hanging around to see what is in the next Pine64 news update, hopefully another window to buy PinePhone again.
I was thinking of selling mine, the PostmarketOS version with 3GB ram and 32GB eMMC, it also came with the docking port. I figure I will wait a few months and keep putzing with it, maybe I will learn more command line......

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,076 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,522 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,478 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,599 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Mobian PIN changed after update! Mwo87 21 16,968 12-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Karrenbrady
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,665 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy