Pinephone on Cricket Wireless (USA) no service
What exactly do they see as the threat to using a "wrong" phone?
Lost opportunity to sell you the 'right' one at an inflated price? Having to troubleshoot problems because of a standard that's got too much wiggle room for interpretation to be sure of interoperability?
To get the EG25 whitelisted with a carrier it's probably a better approach to not frame it in the context of the Pinephone, but just say you need it for an industrial/commercial application?
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Hello,

With regards to the issue you are having with Cricket, I would recommend switching to T-mobile or one of its MVNOs. Unlike the AT&T network they haven't announced a whitelist (yet).

A bigger question may be whether or not VoLTE will work on your device.
(02-06-2021, 12:23 AM)wibble Wrote: Lost opportunity to sell you the 'right' one at an inflated price? Having to troubleshoot problems because of a standard that's got too much wiggle room for interpretation to be sure of interoperability?

For most things like this there is the reason (freeing up bandwidth for 5G) and the real reason: end BYOD on the network in order to increase profitability through handset sales and increase data mining of your user base with software you install
I just learned this the hard way. Had to call up Cricket to get my old phone back on the network.

Cricket basically told me to buy one of their phones, a newer iPhone, or a newer Samsung.
I've had no problem so far using Tracfone on AT&T's network or using the AT&T SIM out of my flip phone. Hopefully that will continue, but we'll see.

I have found when dealing with problems at a corporation that writing a letter to the CEO via postal mail can sometimes get action. He or she will never see your letter of course but their office will receive it and may take action. I got a good response out of AT&T that way a few years ago on another issue, working with one of the CEO's secretaries. (I was actually surprised when I got the call from the CEO's office. I was really just venting and was not expecting a response.)
I got this same issue when trying to add Cricket service to my PinePhone today. In the meantime, it's may be best to no longer list Cricket as a supported carrier in the wiki for now.
I have read Straight Talk and Red Pocket will still let you on with an AT&T sim
(03-11-2021, 09:36 PM)hyperdriveguy Wrote: I got this same issue when trying to add Cricket service to my PinePhone today. In the meantime, it's may be best to no longer list Cricket as a supported carrier in the wiki for now.
I've had the same problem as you all. After working for a day, Cricket texted me saying the Pinephone wasn't supported and they even deactivated my sim card after I put it back in my old phone (which is also apparently unsupported now).
I changed the Wiki page so others don't buy the phone thinking Cricket still supports it.
Does anyone have news on whether Cricket will add the phone back? (pie in the sky hope, I know)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,174 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,942 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,481 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,671 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma