Screen Protector
Hi All, My KDE edition arrived today and I super excited to start playing around with it.

I have one tiny problem, it looks like somebody has put a screen protector on it before shipping it to me, but they put it on crooked and there a few air bubbles.

Do you think if I try and pull it off I'll damage the screen?

Jay.
I don't like the screen protector either. Not to mention it wasn't attached correctly. Would love to know if you've successfully removed it.
My Pinephone came with a thin plastic sheet on the screen that looked like it was just temporary protection for shipping. It just pulled right off and if desired you can install a real screen protector.
(01-24-2021, 12:43 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: My Pinephone came with a thin plastic sheet on the screen that looked like it was just temporary protection for shipping. It just pulled right off and if desired you can install a real screen protector.

In our case, there is a screen protector underneath the plastic sheet. It appears to be a new thing with the KDE Plasma Community Edition. It also doesn't seem to be easy to remove.
I did pluck up the courage and got a fingernail under the plastic. That was the hardest part, it came off with no problems.
(01-24-2021, 03:39 PM)zborgerd Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 12:43 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: My Pinephone came with a thin plastic sheet on the screen that looked like it was just temporary protection for shipping. It just pulled right off and if desired you can install a real screen protector.

In our case, there is a screen protector underneath the plastic sheet. It appears to be a new thing with the KDE Plasma Community Edition. It also doesn't seem to be easy to remove.

This was also the case on the Manjaro CE. By the looks of this thread, the plastic screen protector has been applied to the phones at the factory since the very first CE.

(01-31-2021, 03:46 AM)JayKyburz Wrote: I did pluck up the courage and got a fingernail under the plastic. That was the hardest part, it came off with no problems.

Good to hear, thanks, I was considering buying the glass protector on the PINE64 store but I was worried about damaging the screen by removing the film.
I successfully replaced the stock screen protector with the one sold on the Pine store, which looks more rigid than the stock one.

I looked at some youtube videos to figure out how to remove the stock screen protector and managed to do it using a business card.
(01-31-2021, 03:46 AM)JayKyburz Wrote: I did pluck up the courage and got a fingernail under the plastic. That was the hardest part, it came off with no problems.

Cool. Thanks for the heads-up. I also noticed that the edge doesn't come up as easily as expected, but good to know that the rest comes up easily.

I've never used a screen protector and have never scratched a screen in any substantial way. I just put my phone and keys in opposite pockets. Don't care for screen protectors at all.
I was a bit too fast at removing the cover of the screen protector on my kde detain and removed the preinstalled cover. What stinks, is I got my phone a day or two after ordering a pine book pro dock and soft case. So I have not decided if I will order a glass cover from the store or try one of the covers from a similarly size general market phone.
I have a Shift 6mq phone, I don't recommend the phone, sadly, but had to take off the broken "protection" glass as well - it could be done, but be careful and slow. I think I just something to lift it little by little although don't recall what. I would think it would be the same on the Pinephone, just don't be to fast on it so you don't break anything! Smile Take your time and let it slip off little by little.

I think I used my nails to do it actually... Although might be better with a plastic card or something when you get it started.

- Darkijah

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 270 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,124 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 140,349 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 2,963 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,480 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,633 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,866 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 28,468 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,183 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,114 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313