pinebook pro refinement/improvements?
Has there been any upgrades or improvements to the pinebook pro in the last year?  I really like the idea so I bought one in 2019.  The build quality wasnt great (bezel around the lcd was uneven and bubbled up separating from the lcd in parts) and after opening up the bottom the speakers were just laying there, nothing holding them into place.  The bottom cover did also not fit properly and had to be forced pretty roughly for it to lay flat in one corner so all the screws could be put back in.

So I ended up selling it.  Figured Id wait until they hopefully worked out the kinks and then get an ANSI version.  The other big thing i really disliked was the touchpad. poor accuracy, hard to click... Can someone give me a status update since in the last 12 months?  Thanks!
I have the same problems, but did not sell it yet (nobody wants it). I just like the keyboard, it has better key travel than my Teclast.

Odoslané z ONEPLUS A5010 pomocou Tapatalku
(01-14-2021, 09:47 AM)derzahl Wrote: Has there been any upgrades or improvements to the pinebook pro in the last year?

I got mine in Aug 2020, understanding it might need work.  Worked great out of the box.  I have no issues other than the trackpad, which is well documented.  It could be my daily driver if I didn't already have one.
Something has changed in the bezel. I'm not sure what it is, but I have two of them and they seem to be very different. I only know this from prying the edge open to move the magnet. One has a way to move the magnet, one does not. The plastic structure is completely different. But other than the magnet, I don't have any trouble with either of them. Mind you, both are from 2020.

The speakers in both of mine are fixed in place. They do fall out if the bottom is off, but when the cover is on, they are trapped in every direction.

I don't think the bottom cover has changed.

I find the touchpad issues are greatly resolved in software. It's as usable as any other touchpad is to me, with the proper settings.

I suspect they are better now than the one you had, excepting my opinions about the pre-installed operating systems.
(01-14-2021, 10:03 AM)Wizzard Wrote: I have the same problems, but did not sell it yet (nobody wants it). I just like the keyboard, it has better key travel than my Teclast.

Odoslané z ONEPLUS A5010 pomocou Tapatalku
When did you receive yours?

(01-14-2021, 01:26 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Something has changed in the bezel.  I'm not sure what it is, but I have two of them and they seem to be very different. I only know this from prying the edge open to move the magnet.  One has a way to move the magnet, one does not.  The plastic structure is completely different.  But other than the magnet, I don't have any trouble with either of them.  Mind you, both are from 2020.

The speakers in both of mine are fixed in place.  They do fall out if the bottom is off, but when the cover is on, they are trapped in every direction.

I don't think the bottom cover has changed.

I find the touchpad issues are greatly resolved in software.  It's as usable as any other touchpad is to me, with the proper settings.

I suspect they are better now than the one you had, excepting my opinions about the pre-installed operating systems.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the touchpad has improved with firmware updates since say Feb 2020?  I am pretty particular about my touchpad.  Which is why I cant seem to use anything but pre-2019 macbook airs for a daily driver(hate the new non-clicking touchpads).  I only used the pre-installed OS for a day, then went with manjaro
Mine both came with the firmware updates, so I don't really know what changed. I do know that both of mine had all the same problems that most people complain about. But I found by using different operating systems that the touchpad behaved completely different in different OSs. So I played with the settings in the ones I use and got satisfactory results. I'd still prefer a trackpoint, but it works.
(01-14-2021, 02:37 PM)derzahl Wrote: When did you receive yours?

I think that november 2019.
January 2020 batch here. AFAIK there were no firmware updates to keyboard+touchpad after some time early in the year. I have the customized firmware on mine, with Ctrl and Fn swapped around to be more like my ThinkPads. Touchpad was crap at first, nowadays running kernel 5.8.5 after all the OS updates and couple settings changes it's quite fine. I don't use the physical buttons though, prefer tap to click. The only (very minor) quality (rather than design flaw) complaint I have about my unit is bottom cover fit is rather imperfect, to put it mildly, but unless one tries to put it back in its place it's unnoticeable.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,908 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 302 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 228 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 620 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,227 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,140 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt