What Pine Phone Operating System For A Daily Driver?
(02-12-2021, 03:23 PM)kqlnut Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:49 PM)calinb Wrote: The other problem that does not seem to get much attention in these forums is display dimming and then blanking briefly for no reason--even when all screen blanking and power savings feature are disabled. It might be a power distribution problem, because it seems more likely to occur when I'm running with the convergence dock (powered up via USB-C) and a DVD drive, but it can happen anytime.
For me this happens all the time when I'm using the phone in landscape mode and it took me too long to figure out it was because my hand is covering the proximity sensor ...
Thank you! Yes--I think this is my problem. It happens in both modes, but I think it happens more often in landscape mode. So why does the the proximity sensor dim the display? I understand that it should disable the touch feature when used as a phone on one's ear, but why must the screen be dimmed?

I also suspect it happens when my dock, DVD drive, power supply, keyboard, etc. are all hooked up to the phone because the phone is buried in a rat's nest of cables! Idea
(02-12-2021, 04:35 PM)calinb Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 03:23 PM)kqlnut Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:49 PM)calinb Wrote: The other problem that does not seem to get much attention in these forums is display dimming and then blanking briefly for no reason--even when all screen blanking and power savings feature are disabled. It might be a power distribution problem, because it seems more likely to occur when I'm running with the convergence dock (powered up via USB-C) and a DVD drive, but it can happen anytime.
For me this happens all the time when I'm using the phone in landscape mode and it took me too long to figure out it was because my hand is covering the proximity sensor ...
Thank you! Yes--I think this is my problem. It happens in both modes, but I think it happens more often in landscape mode. So why does the the proximity sensor dim the display? I understand that it should disable the touch feature when used as a phone on one's ear, but why must the screen be dimmed?

I also suspect it happens when my dock, DVD drive, power supply, keyboard, etc. are all hooked up to the phone because the phone is buried in a rat's nest of cables! Idea
It's probably dimmed (ideally backlight should be turned off) to save battery when you don't see the screen anyway. Progress on a better solution is being tracked here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/calls/-/issues/175
No one advocating PostmarketOS Phosh (edge)? Probably because it works so well they just don't visit these forums often.
Camera works as well as anywhere else,
Wifi and Mobile data work
Calls and sms work
then I check email and telegram within firefox

So it does everything that is critical for me. uNav and the local analogue of Uber would be nice, otherwise that's a daily driver for me. I just wish this all worked with Lomiri instead of Phosh.
(01-13-2021, 09:17 PM)K_Research Wrote: Hello just checking in I need to find a distro for my Pine Phone that is working so I can make a daily driver out of it, my requirements right now is to make calls and use texting and a functional camera for pictures I can live without taking videos.

1. Phone working make receive calls
2. Texting
3. Camera

Be nice to have mp3 player and a video player.

Suggestions ? I need a daily driver as my current phone will no longer work at the end of February so its either get my Pine Phone working or buy a De-Googled Android.

Thanks in advance.

Hate to say it, but as of right now I don't think any OS is anywhere near where it needs to be to have Pinephone as a daily driver. I guess the one that is closest is Ubuntu Touch as of writing this, but many of my favorite apps like say Webber for example which turns web pages into app icons to function similar to iOS or Android won't even work on Pinephone. Also I have been disconnected mant times from my wifi and network on this OS, it works better on certain Android phones running Ubuntu like the Nexus phones. If someone at UBPorts could make a Pinephone run Ubuntu Touch run as well as say a Nexus 5, I would use it as a daily driver, but its not there and comments from UBPorts are sending mixed messages like they want to focus on old ANdroid devices than a new all Linux phone? They could really have something if they tweaked Ubuntu om Pinephone.

I tried Sailfish and loved the gestures and look, but simple functions didn't work amd it seems to be too tied to google for me. Lune I could deal with if it weren't for the clock just keeps appearing on my screen for no reason when I am trying to do anything. Mobian is getting there, but still nowhere near ready for prime time. Postmarket, KDE, I just couldn't do much with.

So Ubuntu Touch is almost there and i am somewhat of a Linux noob admittedly, but just asking for it to run as well as the ancient Nexus 5 Ubuntu is not asking for a lot, but isn't there yet. Ubuntu on Nexus 5 my only complaint is MMS doesn't work, besides that, its very functional and workarounds for almost any other issue I can think of. I mean could someone at Pine64 hire someone to tweak Ubuntu it would be a legitmate daily driver, but as of now, no.
How is support for Anbox? Or how do you get Android apps running? What's best distro for that?

Sadly I need a few apps for work. I might just have to keep a LineageOS phone around for those few stupid apps.
(03-09-2021, 08:51 PM)arkadione Wrote: How is support for Anbox? Or how do you get Android apps running? What's best distro for that?

Sadly I need a few apps for work. I might just have to keep a LineageOS phone around for those few stupid apps.
Keep your Lineage phone for now, PinePhone is just not ready for primetime, its barely functional at all for important communication uses. I wish one OS was solid, but so far none I have tried are. The tech is not exactly cutting edge so if it takes years to make Pinephone a daily driver, not sure anyone will want it by then? Its not an expensive device comparatively, but I just wish phone, sms, mms, etc would work properly. Also the camera is a joke as of now. I mean I like I can pull the battery, turn switches off (that are not convenient and are difficult to read and flip bc they are soooo small), but just the basics of phone functionality in one OS would go a long way, but its simply not there yet and I have never written a linux app, so I will not be the member of the community to fix this phone (wish i was)
(03-12-2021, 07:42 PM)odh Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 08:51 PM)arkadione Wrote: How is support for Anbox? Or how do you get Android apps running? What's best distro for that?

Keep your Lineage phone for now, PinePhone is just not ready for primetime, its barely functional at all for important communication uses. I wish one OS was solid, but so far none I have tried are. The tech is not exactly cutting edge so if it takes years to make Pinephone a daily driver, not sure anyone will want it by then? Its not an expensive device comparatively, but I just wish phone, sms, mms, etc would work properly. Also the camera is a joke as of now. I mean I like I can pull the battery, turn switches off (that are not convenient and are difficult to read and flip bc they are soooo small), but just the basics of phone functionality in one OS would go a long way, but its simply not there yet and I have never written a linux app, so I will not be the member of the community to fix this phone (wish i was)

that's a shame. i really don't like giving money to samsung, apple, and other phone companies but as you say, pinephone is just not ready for everyday use.

the priority for all OS's should be: phone, SMS, wifi, camera

I thought things would be in a more advanced state by now but looks like I might be stuck messing around with LineageOS roms for a few more years.

FairPhone is another decent option, but they don't ship outside of the EU Sad
/e/ OS sells phones preloaded with their own android ROM too but....no shipping to Asia Sad

i don't care about the price, i would pay $300 USD right now for a phone that has even 75% of the functionality of LineageOS Android.

i am also not a developer either, so the only thing I can do is donate money to support the devs, so they can work faster Big Grin
(03-12-2021, 11:17 PM)arkadione Wrote: that's a shame. i really don't like giving money to samsung, apple, and other phone companies but as you say, pinephone is just not ready for everyday use.

I'm rocking a Nexus 5 (Hammerhead) running UBports as my daily driver.  Works nicely for all the basics and keeps me clear of Google and Apple.  Was a cheap refurb from fleabay for around 100 bucks.

My Pinephone remains a curiosity I get out of the drawer every now and then to assess the varying developments across the Linux distros.
Does the Nexus 5 support 4G? In the U.S., 3G service will be shut down within a year which is the main reason I purchased a Pinephone to replace my old LG flip phone. (The Pinephone running Mobian actually works fine for me since all I need it for is to make and receive calls and that works with my AT&T SIM. I don't care about SMS, MMS, or the cameras.)
(03-13-2021, 09:59 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Does the Nexus 5 support 4G? In the U.S., 3G service will be shut down within a year which is the main reason I purchased a Pinephone to replace my old LG flip phone. (The Pinephone running Mobian actually works fine for me since all I need it for is to make and receive calls and that works with my AT&T SIM. I don't care about SMS, MMS, or the cameras.)

Yeah, supports 4G.  Normally get around 35-40Mbs, which is good for my area.
LTE (FDD): Bands 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800 DD)

I think the One Plus One (Bacon) is well supported by UBPorts also and far newer device than the Nexus 5.  That being said, the Nexus 5 feels like a new phone again when running UBPorts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 931 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,740 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,056 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 789 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,612 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,407 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,024 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous