Does mobian use a root account and password?
Hi, just a quick question, on my mobian installation (using the installer with the encryption feature), I tried typing su  into kings cross, and was asked for the root password, and tried several things, like my encryption password or user pin, but it did not accept it.

Is there actually a root password?
Nope, the root password isn't set by default, so directly logging in as root isn't possible ("sudo su" still works though).
(01-07-2021, 11:14 PM)rp3 Wrote: Hi, just a quick question, on my mobian installation (using the installer with the encryption feature), I tried typing su  into kings cross, and was asked for the root password, and tried several things, like my encryption password or user pin, but it did not accept it.

Is there actually a root password?
sudo su
(YOUR MOBIAN PIN)
passwd

This way you can set the root password to whatever you want.
Not that you need it, it's probably safer to log into "sudo su" from the "mobian" user.
Or better, change the user name from "mobian" to something else.
If Mobian ever becomes more mainstream, hackers will know what user to target, and they'll know the user is using a PIN.
It's easier to crack a code that can consist of 10 possible integers than it is to crack a code that can consist of (let me guess, I can't count) 100 possible characters.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
ryo, thanks for tip about password, this is interesting.

I am wondering if I change the password from a numeric pin if I will have trouble unlocking the phone when presented with the number pad? -or will this still be the old numeric pin, independent of the new alphanumeric password? -Thanks
(01-10-2021, 04:07 AM)rp3 Wrote: ryo, thanks for tip about password, this is interesting.

I am wondering if I change the password from a numeric pin if I will have trouble unlocking the phone when presented with the number pad? -or will this still be the old numeric pin, independent of the new alphanumeric password? -Thanks
If you mean changing for the Mobian user, then yes.
You will be locked out from the GUI, so I do hope you have SSH enabled before you even try this out, or you'll need to re-flash your phone as your only way out.
You must change it to a password consisting of numbers only in order to be able to unlock the screen.

If you mean changing for the root user, then that will have no meaning regarding ability of logging into your phone.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pure Maps GPS on Pinephone Mobian godzillest 0 42 Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Last Post: godzillest
  Mobian repository status henrythemouse 2 196 Yesterday, 09:32 AM
Last Post: biketool
  What do you use for voice chat on Mobian? ragreenburg 4 150 Yesterday, 08:36 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 105 27,658 07-23-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Wipe function on mobian? Wahtone 4 288 07-21-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: e-minguez
  Dark theme (on Mobian)? TRS-80 6 318 07-14-2021, 01:35 PM
Last Post: biketool
  (Gnome) Maps won't start on Mobian? TRS-80 3 233 07-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Mobian Constant Vibration tumblingdog 4 806 07-10-2021, 02:40 AM
Last Post: aed
  Mobian not updating via Software app FOSSagent0 5 575 07-08-2021, 07:37 PM