Does mobian use a root account and password?
Hi, just a quick question, on my mobian installation (using the installer with the encryption feature), I tried typing su  into kings cross, and was asked for the root password, and tried several things, like my encryption password or user pin, but it did not accept it.

Is there actually a root password?
Nope, the root password isn't set by default, so directly logging in as root isn't possible ("sudo su" still works though).
(01-07-2021, 11:14 PM)rp3 Wrote: Hi, just a quick question, on my mobian installation (using the installer with the encryption feature), I tried typing su  into kings cross, and was asked for the root password, and tried several things, like my encryption password or user pin, but it did not accept it.

Is there actually a root password?
sudo su
(YOUR MOBIAN PIN)
passwd

This way you can set the root password to whatever you want.
Not that you need it, it's probably safer to log into "sudo su" from the "mobian" user.
Or better, change the user name from "mobian" to something else.
If Mobian ever becomes more mainstream, hackers will know what user to target, and they'll know the user is using a PIN.
It's easier to crack a code that can consist of 10 possible integers than it is to crack a code that can consist of (let me guess, I can't count) 100 possible characters.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
ryo, thanks for tip about password, this is interesting.

I am wondering if I change the password from a numeric pin if I will have trouble unlocking the phone when presented with the number pad? -or will this still be the old numeric pin, independent of the new alphanumeric password? -Thanks
(01-10-2021, 04:07 AM)rp3 Wrote: ryo, thanks for tip about password, this is interesting.

I am wondering if I change the password from a numeric pin if I will have trouble unlocking the phone when presented with the number pad? -or will this still be the old numeric pin, independent of the new alphanumeric password? -Thanks
If you mean changing for the Mobian user, then yes.
You will be locked out from the GUI, so I do hope you have SSH enabled before you even try this out, or you'll need to re-flash your phone as your only way out.
You must change it to a password consisting of numbers only in order to be able to unlock the screen.

If you mean changing for the root user, then that will have no meaning regarding ability of logging into your phone.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-10-2021, 05:35 AM)ryo Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 04:07 AM)rp3 Wrote: ryo, thanks for tip about password, this is interesting.

You will be locked out from the GUI, so I do hope you have SSH enabled before you even try this out, or you'll need to re-flash your phone as your only way out.
You must change it to a password consisting of numbers only in order to be able to unlock the screen.

If you mean changing for the root user, then that will have no meaning regarding ability of logging into your phone.

For me the question is how to change the default pin.  The only place I can find to do that through the UI is under Users (in Mobian). However as much as I can change the 1st entry with a new password,  the system wont allow me to enter a confirming string. I understand that I can change the pin through the comand line using passwd, but why can't I change the pin through the UI ?  In fact changing the password with passwd does not change the login pin.  This is rather frustrating.  And inane
Thanks for any replies
(04-01-2022, 09:58 AM)parry Wrote:

For me the question is how to change the default pin.  The only place I can find to do that through the UI is under Users (in Mobian). However as much as I can change the 1st entry with a new password,  the system wont allow me to enter a confirming string. I understand that I can change the pin through the comand line using passwd, but why can't I change the pin through the UI ?  In fact changing the password with passwd does not change the login pin.  This is rather frustrating.  And inane
Thanks for any replies
OK, let me reply. It is rather idiotic, but going to the Users section of the Settings app although completely intuitive, does not work.  Really??? Yes really. Instead, starting a terminal session and using the usual linux command passwd takes care of the problem.  Not even sudo passwd -  which does not retain the change.  I wonder where I missed the documentation for this. Duhhhhhh

(04-01-2022, 09:58 AM)parry Wrote:

Thanks for any replies

OK, let me reply. It is rather idiotic, but going to the Users section of the Settings app although completely intuitive, does not work.  Really??? Yes really. Instead, starting a terminal session and using the usual linux command passwd takes care of the problem.  Not even sudo passwd -  which says the password has changed does not retain the change.  I wonder where I missed the documentation for this. Duhhhhhh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,359 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy