OpenMandriva to release ARM builds for PineBook Pro and Pi
Never used Mandrake/Mandriva/OpenMandriva, but maybe we have some fans here.

Read the article here: https://9to5linux.com/openmandriva-lx-4-...nebook-pro
In case someone else tries....
It will lead to a link for .... x86, if it is an iso, look more closely at filename
After you poke around for a bit and find the pbp image,,, it won't download,
giving various reasons
But if you are really persistent it might work (the dl)
(01-10-2021, 04:00 PM)wdt Wrote: In case someone else tries....
It will lead to a link for .... x86, if it is an iso, look more closely at filename
After you poke around for a bit and find the pbp image,,, it won't download,
giving various reasons
But if you are really persistent it might work (the dl)

The Pinebook Pro image is at

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openman...nebookPro/

Unfortunately, sourceforge does seem to have some problems serving huge files. We'll look into other hosting solutions for the final release.
And...no success, even with wget -c,, maybe with 100+ retrys
I was able to download it in 31 tries using these arguements on my Mageia workstation (the irony).

Code:
wget --tries=0 --content-disposition -c https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmandriva/files/release/4.2/RC/PinebookPro/pinebookpro.img/download

If @bero can provide a sha, I'll be happy to put the image up on my server for a little while until they find a new host.
So I finally got around to giving it a spin. Works great, I would love to replace the current Manjaro build I'm running...

Big issue though, and I can't find the answer anywhere... What's the root password?
Final Version is out now

https://9to5linux.com/openmandriva-lx-4-...arm64-port
I managed to guess the root password in case anyone wants to know. But it's a little sad the lack of response asking for a password here and not getting one. (I also pinged bero on IRC to reply on this thread weeks ago.)

Anyway, the root password is "omv". Which is the same as the default username, and the default username's password.

As for the port itself, everything works great. I feel that it's faster than Manjaro. And the default packages are cleaner than Manjaro. The distro-specific software, namely the GUI software installer is MUCH better than the crap Manjaro provides.

On the downside, the software installer houses HUNDREDS of repos. It's a pain in the ass to scroll to the ROCK repo that you need. It would be nice to have an easy way to narrow down the list.

The big one for me, if your software isn't officially supported by OpenMandriva it's in the "Unsupported" repo. And sadly, it seems anything in this repo is built with the default build options. In my case, I need slypheed, and it's not built with SSL support on OpenMandriva. That practically makes the email client worthless for me. Of course, I could build it myself, or figure out hackish ways of making it work, but really I don't have the time these days. (To be fair, Mageia, Mandrake's other fork, also has this same problem with software the builders don't actually use. For example, Dillo isn't built with SSL support either, so you can use it on the web thanks to the "Lets Encrypt" movement.)

Anyhoo, end review, GREAT distro for a Pinebook IF the software you need is officially supported. It makes me curious how much faster the Zen specific build is.
@BronzeBeard
I tried this (openMandriva) a week or so ago,,, it didn't boot
So... a couple questions
Was it on SD? What was on emmc? Does emmc have unchanged uboot?
thanks
(02-28-2021, 04:38 PM)wdt Wrote: @BronzeBeard
I tried this (openMandriva) a week or so ago,,, it didn't boot
So... a couple questions
Was it on SD? What was on emmc? Does emmc have unchanged uboot?
thanks

Sorry for the late reply, blame my kid.

How I installed it,

I used the write2sd tool provided by the OpenMandriva to write the image to a 64GB SanDiskExtreme v30 A2 SD Card.

You may want to format the SD card first before doing the copy. I had some problems booting the card when it had other versions of Linux on it. But had no problems when BSD were on the SD card or when I had a wiped card.

After that, simply turn off the PBP. Boot back up, and it should run off the SD card.

I did not copy to emmc, I also haven't messed with uboot or changed the jumpers internally.

If you wanted to copy to emmc, I would assume you would just need to download the image again while running from the SD card. Then use the same tool provided to write over the emmc. Turn off the machine, take out the SD card, and then turn the machine back on. Install instructions would be similar to Manjaro.

Also note, since we don't have sha's, if you have a problem on first boot, try redownloading the image and then check the shas between the two files. If they don't match, download a third time, and repeat the process until you have matching sha's. The matches are probably good. I ran into a problem where one of the images I downloaded wouldn't boot, because the download was bad.

Final note, the beta had a raw image. The release is a compressed image. The script they provide is looking for a compressed file. So don't decompress it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,924 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,324 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 607 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap