Please make the laptop of my dreams! :D
I am only a few minutes into PINE64 but totally I think it's love from first sight with your philosophy!

I want to describe the ideal product for me and hopefully you say something like "yeah, we are actually working on one, to be released next year"... Wink

Sorry if any of this is caustic, I am just so frustrated and tired of consumer tech right now...

My first problem is screen size. I don't know why, as technology advances, screens get smaller...
Like smaller is better? I mean, sure, for my back I guess... But what about my eyes? Smile

* I think the ideal monitor size for a laptop is 15-16". I'd go with 16, if given the choice.

My second gripe is with touchpads - I've never seen one that works, not to my standards at least...
I am willing to give up on lots of features and pay a huge premium just so I can click things.
You know, like laptops used to be, with 2 button under/over the touchpad.
Not sure when/why it was decided that buttons are bad Smile

Anyway, I'll be looking to buy the 14" Pro right now (can't find it anywhere in the UK?).

BUT: if you made a 15/16" with trackpad+buttons - I'd pre-order one right now and I would be flexible with price!

I am sure I won't be the only one - a lot of people just want a laptop for moving around and doing daily things, with:
- No added costs and power usage from ridiculous attempts to make laptops powerful
- No dependency on Microsoft, who act like they bought us and not the other way around
- Decent screen because why buy a laptop at all, if viewing it is a terrible experience?

Honestly, if there's anything I can do to increase the chance you produce one, let me know!
And an inbuilt soft-serve machine.

You might be better off just building your own.
(01-02-2021, 02:56 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: And an inbuilt soft-serve machine.

You might be better off just building your own.
A soft serving machine in a note PC?
That would be both delicious and convenient!
Always free soft cream wherever you go! ლ(´ڡ`ლ)

(01-02-2021, 11:55 AM)DraxDomax Wrote: My first problem is screen size. I don't know why, as technology advances, screens get smaller...
Like smaller is better? I mean, sure, for my back I guess... But what about my eyes? Smile
I actually have a preference to smaller note PCs.
14" max, preferably 11~13".
The point of a note PC is to have a full desktop environment while outdoors.
For powerful stuff (games, video editing etc) I'm having a gaming PC at home.

(01-02-2021, 11:55 AM)DraxDomax Wrote: My second gripe is with touchpads - I've never seen one that works
Really?
I've seen working touch pads on note PCs since they had one.

(01-02-2021, 11:55 AM)DraxDomax Wrote: I am willing to give up on lots of features and pay a huge premium just so I can click things.
You know, like laptops used to be, with 2 button under/over the touchpad.
Oh, now I get it!
It's a trade off for touch pads to become bigger in size and increase precision.
You can usually right click using either 2 fingers or at the right bottom.
Scrolling is generally with 2 fingers softly.
Admittingly, dedicated buttons worked more stable.

(01-02-2021, 11:55 AM)DraxDomax Wrote: - No added costs and power usage from ridiculous attempts to make laptops powerful
- No dependency on Microsoft, who act like they bought us and not the other way around
- Decent screen because why buy a laptop at all, if viewing it is a terrible experience?
Buy an old note PC, those comply with all 3 points very easily.
Or some office-type note PC generally complies with the first and last points, for the middle point you just install Linux, and just not use anything from Microsoft on it.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-02-2021, 11:55 AM)DraxDomax Wrote: You know, like laptops used to be, with 2 button under/over the touchpad.

Uh, ouch....

I haven't noticed yet Pinebook have no buttons under touchpad.
I don't know who has started this idiot idea but it should not be followed at all. I have never ever met a notebook where I did not wanted to eliminate this stupid solution as none of them worked well. Also, I _need_ the feedback of a physical button.

The worst is when buttons are part of the touchpad and they also sense movement. A bit better when buttons are not cause problems with movement but still too bad to be usable as no physical separation.

That is a big NO for me, unfortunately. Sad

Please forget this stupid thing and make laptops with usable touchpads (I mean usable for work and not just something to play with).
There are physical switches in the touchpad on the Pinebook Pro. (I pushed one so I could type here). They aren't what I'd prefer because they are built into the touch surface. You *can* press them without causing mouse movement by pressing in the far corner. But I agree, separate buttons would be ideal. However, as you can see by looking at it, there is no place to put such buttons due to the larger size of the touchpad. If you want "usable for work" use a mouse. I find that many expensive Wintel laptops require this, too.
(01-03-2021, 01:02 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: There are physical switches in the touchpad on the Pinebook Pro.  (I pushed one so I could type here).  They aren't what I'd prefer because they are built into the touch surface.  You *can* press them without causing mouse movement by pressing in the far corner.  But I agree, separate buttons would be ideal.  However, as you can see by looking at it, there is no place to put such buttons due to the larger size of the touchpad.  If you want "usable for work" use a mouse.  I find that many expensive Wintel laptops require this, too.

That is a bit better. I prefer a bit smaller touchpad but with physical buttons.
Sometimes I use my laptop without a mouse and this kind of touchpad is not really productive... mouse is not always a solution, especially with a portable device.

I find this kind of touchpad is similar to the notches in modern phones.
"Somebody" started doing it in the centre of screen and every sheep followed the same not really good idea which currently has a modified position of a corner.
Also there is another recently appeared crazy idea of a V-type notch.

So an idea which is in use by many manufacturers is not necessarily a good idea just because others are also using it...
I just registered and haven't watched the product yet. Your sharing of the product is very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,124 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  Keyboard backlight and logo on laptop cover!? ohuw67 8 6,376 01-11-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: brandonmane
  Is it possible to make a cluster Sophine crypto unit? Omnios 2 2,123 11-20-2021, 06:24 AM
Last Post: ryo
  unable to make or receive calls jba32409 3 4,789 12-22-2020, 03:21 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  SBC laptop-like dock CaptainZalo 5 7,874 11-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Last Post: nightranger73
Information Make Wiki Great Again Luke 19 29,798 05-30-2020, 12:11 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Name this laptop ccdanieldb 2 3,889 09-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Last Post: ccdanieldb