New version of MCUBoot bootloader : I need your help!
(12-29-2020, 06:16 PM)wibble Wrote: Ok - using the Pi for the SWD updates and GadgetBridge 0.51.0 from F-Droid for the OTA. I've not tried OTA before. Note that the phone is somewhat knackered, and has been slightly glitchy with bluetooth recently. This appears unrelated to GadgetBridge and PineTIme.

First used Lup's pinetime-updater to get the PineTime into a known state - it's 'latest' bootloader and application, which is 0.7.1 at present.
Download the RC1 bootloader.bin and flash to 0x0000 using pinetime-updater's from downloaded file option. This gets me the new bootloader working v1.2.3 bootloader, still bringing me into 0.7.1
Download RC1 pinetime-mcuboot-recovery-loader.zip, connect GadgetBridge and use it to OTA. This failed on the first attempt soon after touching the screen to keep it from dimming, but worked on a second attempt when I didn't touch the screen. I don't know if that's an unexpected quirk of GadgetBridge, or just the glitchy bluetooth on this phone.
Download dfu-0.9.0.zip and use GadgetBridge to OTA that - I didn't touch the screen and it worked first time. I now have 0.9.0 and can validate it.
I now tried a few reboot cycles, both green to keep current version, and blue to swap between 0.7.1 and 0.9.0 - it seems smooth and reliable.
Long press to red during the bootloader gets me to the white InfiniTime logo. I then tried OTA to 0.9.0 again. The first time this failed with the progress bar just short of completion, and I had to long-press to reboot and try again. The second attempt failed at ~50% but the third succeeded, and I rebooted into 0.9.0 and validated. I suspect my iffy bluetooth again, but this also shows the process is robust - even with failures during OTA I could still eventually get a successful OTA and a working application without having to use the cable. Nice Smile

I haven't tried the to/from wasp-os yet.

On a side note the combination of GadgetBridge and kdeconnect allowed the media controls in 0.9.0 to control the video in the desktop browser, but the scrolling of a title as long as 'WIP: bootloader improvements, factory firmware, OTA - Codingfield' is too fast for comfort.

I have also had problems with Bluetooth connecting to the Pinetime.  My phone is a Pixel 3A.  NRFConnect and Gadgetbridge sometimes seem to interfere with one another.  If Gadgetbridge won't connect to the Pinetime I have to start NRFConnect, scan and connect with it, then exit NRFConnect and go to Gadgetbridge and then it will connect.  I also have the problem with OTA uploads to the Pinetime failing sometimes.  A retry usually works but there was an occasion I had to try five times before it worked.

Hugh

Messages In This Thread
RE: New version of MCUBoot bootloader : I need your help! - by VMMainFrame - 12-29-2020, 09:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information PineTime Updater for Flashing New Bootloader and FreeRTOS Firmware lupyuen 2 4,707 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  MCUBoot Bootloader for PineTime lupyuen 2 5,096 05-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  common bootloader? Jeeves 15 17,785 05-11-2020, 05:34 AM
Last Post: danielt
  wasp-bootloader: a robust SoftDevice bootloader for PineTime danielt 3 4,879 04-14-2020, 05:31 AM
Last Post: danielt