New version of MCUBoot bootloader : I need your help!
(12-27-2020, 10:31 AM)JF002 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 10:16 AM)wibble Wrote: I've not done anything with the PineTime in a while, so this is as good an excuse as any Wink The Pi I was using for building and flashing has been repurposed since, so I might have a bit to do before I can test. Do you have links to the procedures you want testing, or did I miss something in the readme?

I'm happy to provide you with an excuse to work on your PineTime Wink !

The installation procedure is in the release note.

To install the bootloader, you'll first need to run on InfiniTime (0.7.1 or 0.9.0, for example). Then, you have 2 options:
  • Using SWD : flash bootloader.bin at offset 0x00, reset, done.
  • Using OTA : use NRFConnect or gadgetbridge to OTA a specific firmware that upgrades the bootloader : reloader-mcuboot.zip. When the transfert is complete, your device will reset, the bootloader will be updated, the device will reset again on the new bootloader.
When the new bootloader is installed, you can install the recovery firmware by using pinetime-mcuboot-recovery-loader.zip. The procedure is the same : OTA this file, reset, let the tool run, reset again and it's done.

You can have a look at the video listed in the release note to have an overview of the procedure : https://video.codingfield.com/videos/wat...a466957169

From there, you can test the revert and recovery functionalities.
Revert :
  • OTA a new version of InfiniTime and validate it.
  • Reset the PineTime (long push on the button).
  • When you see a pinecone, press the button until the cone is drawn in blue.
  • Wait for the revert to be applied
  • and voilà, you're running the previous version of your firmware.
Recovery:
  • Reset the PineTime (long push on the button).
  • When you see a pinecone, press the button until the cone is drawn in red.
  • Wait for the recovery firmware to be installed.
  • Your Pinetime should reboot and display the InfiniTime logo. That's it, you're running the recovery firmware. You can try to OTA any version of InfiniTime you like (>= 0.7.1).

I installed the new bootloader and the recovery firmware OTA using Gadgetbridge (much faster than NRFConnect).  This went well.  I then reset the Pinetime and held down the button until the pinecone was red.  The recovery firmware came up with the blue InfiniTime logo.  I noticed the screen does not turn off when running the recovery firmware.  I then uploaded 0.9.0 OTA using Gadgetbridge and that went well also.

Hugh

Messages In This Thread
RE: New version of MCUBoot bootloader : I need your help! - by VMMainFrame - 12-29-2020, 01:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information PineTime Updater for Flashing New Bootloader and FreeRTOS Firmware lupyuen 2 4,640 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  MCUBoot Bootloader for PineTime lupyuen 2 5,006 05-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  common bootloader? Jeeves 15 17,440 05-11-2020, 05:34 AM
Last Post: danielt
  wasp-bootloader: a robust SoftDevice bootloader for PineTime danielt 3 4,784 04-14-2020, 05:31 AM
Last Post: danielt