SSH'ing?
How do I SSH into my Pine? I have made sure openssh was installed (although I ran the commands and it was already installed) and checked the status to make sure it was running and listening on port 22. I haven't made a new account on the machine, only changed the password. I have tried to SSH from my phone and it doesn't work, and using the terminal on a computer, I get the error of "xxx.xx.xx.x port 22: Connection refused". Please let me know if there's a way to fix this, thanks!

I am running the jessie image of Debian.
are you sure you have the correct user ? Old Debian images (3.10.65) used pine64user new images (3.10.101) use debian. So on a new img from a nix terminal that would be ssh debian@192.168.x.xxx
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-04-2016, 06:32 PM)Luke Wrote: are you sure you have the correct user ? Old Debian images (3.10.65) used pine64user new images (3.10.101) use debian. So on a new img from a nix terminal that would be ssh debian@192.168.x.xxx

I'll give that a shot later tonight, thanks! The username in my terminal is username@debian: so I think that might work! I'll let ya know, thanks again!
Hi,

This may sound dumb, but you also need to be sure that you have the right IP address. If you SSH into the wrong device, you will get that same error. If you are using Lenny's Debian build then you should look for "Pine64pro" as the computer name in DHCP.
(06-06-2016, 08:32 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Hi,

This may sound dumb, but you also need to be sure that you have the right IP address.  If you SSH into the wrong device, you will get that same error.  If you are using Lenny's Debian build then you should look for "Pine64pro" as the computer name in DHCP.

Yes, you obviously also need to have the correct ip - cheers jl_678

(06-04-2016, 06:32 PM)Luke Wrote: are you sure you have the correct user ? Old Debian images (3.10.65) used pine64user new images (3.10.101) use debian. So on a new img from a nix terminal that would be ssh debian@192.168.x.xxx

This may sound dumb, but you also need to be sure that you have the right IP address.  If you SSH into the wrong device, you will get that same error.  If you are using Lenny's Debian build then you should look for "Pine64pro" as the computer name in DHCP.

Thanks for the tips; however, I was unsuccessful. I ran "hostname -I" to get my IP address - starts with 172.16, does that sound right? My command line is "user@debianpine64". Would the proper command be to run from a different computer's terminal:
"ssh user@172.16.xx.x" or ssh "debianpine64@172.16.xx.x"? I have tried both and had no success, but I feel like I might have the wrong IP address (even though that's what the hostname returned me)

Update: Just ran /sbin/ifconfig to check for an IP address and hostname did return the correct address. I'm guessing the error is somewhere in the username part of my command, granted I've tried all different types of names and I still get a connection refused error. I've even ran the hostname to check for the name, and it returns debianpine64. I'm using port 22 if that matters
(06-06-2016, 08:41 AM)joshdude58 Wrote:

Thanks for the tips; however, I was unsuccessful. I ran "hostname -I" to get my IP address - starts with 172.16, does that sound right? My command line is "user@debianpine64". Would the proper command be to run from a different computer's terminal:
"ssh user@172.16.xx.x" or ssh "debianpine64@172.16.xx.x"? I have tried both and had no success, but I feel like I might have the wrong IP address (even though that's what the hostname returned me)

Update: Just ran /sbin/ifconfig to check for an IP address and hostname did return the correct address. I'm guessing the error is somewhere in the username part of my command, granted I've tried all different types of names and I still get a connection refused error. I've even ran the hostname to check for the name, and it returns debianpine64. I'm using port 22 if that matters

Are you sure that user name is 'user', not 'pine64user'? That could be the source of your problem! As luke mentioned above, older releases of the debian for the pine64 board had 'pine64user' as the default user, and newer releases changed to 'debian'. I'm not sure if the hostname changed along the way at all. . 

You should be able to issue the users command to get the username, issue the hostname command to got the hostname, and if the hostname is registering properly on your network, go ssh username@hostname and get the login prompt. If it isn't, try the ssh username@ipAddress. If neither of those work, there is something else at play here...

IIRC, 172.x is one of the private IP ranges, so that sounds possible. I use 192.x personally, but have also seen setups using the 10.x IP range.

Pete
(06-06-2016, 08:41 AM)joshdude58 Wrote:

This: "ssh user@172.16.xx.x" or ssh "debianpine64@172.16.xx.x"? /// doesn't look right.

Do sudo ifconfig: you will get something like this. Look at line 2 - in my case it says: inet addr 192.168.1.113 

Thats the number you are looking for. 

You tried 'user' and 'debianpine64'. Those are not default users on Lenny's image. Hence, unless you created a user and removed the stock user, try:

ssh debian@insert-ip.after
or
pine64user@insert-ip-after

Let us know if this solves the problem.