NetBSD -Current binaries
Curious if any of you guys setup a bulk build for NetBSD -Current which you're willing to share. Compiling everything from pkgsrc is taking quite a bit of time.
There are existing repositories that you can use. I'll have to look at what I've used and let you know.
(12-23-2020, 11:31 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: There are existing repositories that you can use.  I'll have to look at what I've used and let you know.

Thanks!

Building wasn't a problem, until my son wanted to use the machine... Then XFCE became a little too much. Smile
Try KDE4 Smile. I did build that *twice*. Sad

Have you tried using the official 9.1 repository with pkgin? It appears that's what I'm using.
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/package...64/9.1/All

Jun Ebihara (NetBSD developer) has an unofficial repository for -current at
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/ju...2020-08-22
But I couldn't get that to work with pkgin. The directory structure is incomplete.

BTW, there is no complete repository, (you probably already expect that) so you'll end up building some things anyway. If you've got the time to do it, you can automatically download binaries for the parts of what you're building, which exist. Don't ask me how though. I've done it but can't really explain how I did it. If I do it again, I'll end up figuring out how to do it all over again.
(12-24-2020, 01:59 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Try KDE4 Smile. I did build that *twice*. Sad

Have you tried using the official 9.1 repository with pkgin? It appears that's what I'm using.
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/package...64/9.1/All

Jun Ebihara (NetBSD developer) has an unofficial repository for -current at
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/ju...2020-08-22
But I couldn't get that to work with pkgin. The directory structure is incomplete.

BTW, there is no complete repository, (you probably already expect that) so you'll end up building some things anyway. If you've got the time to do it, you can automatically download binaries for the parts of what you're building, which exist. Don't ask me how though. I've done it but can't really explain how I did it. If I do it again, I'll end up figuring out how to do it all over again.

Thanks for the link.

Sadly, the 9.1 ones won't work properly if you have anything that links to the system. For example, 9.1 nano requires libmagic.so.6, but libmagic.so.7 is shipped with the 9.99.77 image.

I'll probably just wait for NetBSD 10 to come out, or do a full bulk build if I'm able to upgrade my workstation next year.
I didn't run into that issue, but when I do, I just make a copy with the alternate name.

Perhaps what you might want to do is just install 9.1, and upgrade it to 10 when the day comes. I've been very successful updating NetBSD, I've never run into any issues. The only thing I think you'll be missing is the firmware for the inbuilt WiFi, which doesn't really work anyway. I have 9.1 on an SD card, and use it quite a bit, but not always only because it's so slow on my SD card. One of these days I'll copy that to the eMMC.

One advantage of running 9.1 without the Wi-Fi firmware is that I don't have to remember to turn the privacy switch off and back on if I use Debian for something.
(12-30-2020, 01:28 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I didn't run into that issue, but when I do, I just make a copy with the alternate name.

Eh, that's not a really good practice. There are changes to libraries and they're not guaranteed to be backwards compatible.

Quote:Perhaps what you might want to do is just install 9.1, and upgrade it to 10 when the day comes. I've been very successful updating NetBSD, I've never run into any issues. The only thing I think you'll be missing is the firmware for the inbuilt WiFi, which doesn't really work anyway. I have 9.1 on an SD card, and use it quite a bit, but not always only because it's so slow on my SD card. One of these days I'll copy that to the eMMC.

One advantage of running 9.1 without the Wi-Fi firmware is that I don't have to remember to turn the privacy switch off and back on if I use Debian for something.

Sadly, I need the laptop to function as a laptop. I have about 13 different options for wired computers in my house/office.

So wifi support is needed, otherwise I would be running 9.1 already, and this thread wouldn't exist. Wink

Wifi is working good, although a little slow for me in current. I haven't had any problems with it.

Also when it comes to SD's, get an A2, the speed difference won't be that bad compared to eMMC.

Anyway, I should be getting spare-cores and (more importantly) hard-drive space in the next 6-months. I'll set up a cross compile bulk build if no one else hasn't if/when that happens. And then throw it up on my company server. Until then, I'm fine with what I have, and the kid can live with Linux for now.

If anyone else comes across or does their own bulk build for -Current, please feel free to share!
No not good practise, but it works. If I have a problem, I'll just delete it. But I don't recall ever having a problem doing that.

I use a urtwn USB stick for Wi-Fi. It works without any trouble albeit slower. It's a little clumsy having it stick out the side, but considering that my last laptop didn't have inbuilt Wi-Fi, and the one previous to that had PCMCIA Ethernet, it doesn't bother me too much Smile
(12-31-2020, 04:14 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I use a urtwn USB stick for Wi-Fi.  It works without any trouble albeit slower. It's a little clumsy having it stick out the side, but considering that my last laptop didn't have inbuilt Wi-Fi, and the one previous to that had PCMCIA Ethernet, it doesn't bother me too much Smile

That reminds me, I do have an usb intel-chipset wifi somewhere in my parts closet. Maybe a task for me this weekend to dig it out.  Might be worth a shot. Smile

Happy new year.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd NetBSD boot goes dark donn 6 1,350 02-22-2024, 03:59 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  NetBSD 1.0 runs down battery donn 13 1,115 11-15-2023, 04:05 PM
  Booting NetBSD untitled 12 5,650 08-30-2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: untitled
  NetBSD on the Pinebook Pro in August 2022 - or not? KC9UDX 6 3,500 08-24-2022, 01:49 AM
  NetBSD and pinebook keyboard/trackpad firmware updater mrgtwentythree 5 9,716 05-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree
  NetBSD Der Geist der Maschine 76 107,878 05-16-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree
Music NetBSD and USB "sound cards" KC9UDX 2 5,177 05-07-2021, 12:11 PM
Last Post: elimark1
Question Issues Installing NetBSD on a PineBook Pro ReleaseTheGeese 14 14,615 01-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Thumbs Up My NetBSD on Pinebook Pro journey KC9UDX 11 18,365 12-06-2020, 08:26 PM