PineTab as ebook reader
Could someone give me a very basic summary re what I would need to do to a PineTab to adequately use it as an ebook reader for pdf, epub, etc formats? I'm aware that I would need to identify working combinations of OS and reader sw - I'm interested in what other tasks I would need to complete. Thanks.
Pretty much any working OS + reader software will work. It should be ultra simple, just download some packages and see which one you like the most.

If you want the PineTab to _only_ be an ereader, then you probably want to have a full-screen file browser on startup. You can also likely pass some command line parameters by default to make sure it uses full screen on startup.

I will say this though - that the PineTab is so much more than an ereader and is really wasted in this setting. Setup right it really has quite some processing power.
(12-20-2020, 05:59 PM)barray Wrote: Pretty much any working OS + reader software will work. It should be ultra simple, just download some packages and see which one you like the most.

If you want the PineTab to _only_ be an ereader, then you probably want to have a full-screen file browser on startup. You can also likely pass some command line parameters by default to make sure it uses full screen on startup.

I will say this though - that the PineTab is so much more than an ereader and is really wasted in this setting. Setup right it really has quite some processing power.
Yah, if I go this route I may end up putting it to more uses. However, at the moment I am in need of a hand-held, battery-powered reader, and all of my other options seem to suck raw, rotten eggs through a very high resistance straw... I had a Nook Tablet 7 that performed acceptably well. I shelved it for a couple of years, during which time I lost the pw. B&N support told me that if I did a hard reset, the tablet would be restored to its original state. Not true. It somehow knows it has been reset, and demands to authenticate to the Google account with which it was originally associated. I no longer have access to that account. I asked them about this, and their reply leads me to believe the device may be permanently bricked as a result. Pretty stupid. Everything I see regarding other e-readers indicates that they are no better, and may be worse than the Nook on several counts. My low-level hardware and software skills are rusty, but I think they should return with some exercise, so I figure Pine appears to be a promising vector to find a solution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver LRP 15 7,347 02-28-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
Wink Screen protector for PineTab 2 vatin 0 457 11-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: vatin
  PineTab 2 (arm64) thoughts and questions acruhl 7 2,692 09-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  PineTab 2 Dead Screen Kramey 16 4,357 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Kramey
  pinetab 2 not booting ajhiii070 5 1,636 08-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: r.aliaskarov
  does the pinetab "just worK"? averageconsumer445 19 4,134 07-15-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab-V shipping Status? jfstepha 6 2,187 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ChromaticHamster
  No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory? SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson 6 2,133 06-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
Star Looking for a Pinetab [EU] Glenn 2 2,552 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Louis
  Looking to buy a PineTab Yair22 2 2,422 01-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Louis