Ubports Wifi Module not Returning Networks
I'm not sure whether to post this on the hardware forum or not, because I don't really understand the issue myself. You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance.

Essentially, I'm wondering whether any ubports/braveheart edition owners have encountered any issues with their wifi modules, besides what's described in the wiki, I guess. 

The reason being that I haven't been able to detect or access a network with my ubports pinephone for a while, now. Not through the phosh settings, nor through iwlist. ip a returns the status of the interface, wlan0, as up and available, but otherwise I can't seem to do anything. I suspected that this may have had something to do with pmOS, what I'd had on my emmc when the issue aros, so I went and flashed mobian onto the phone, too. It seems to experience the same issue. That's why I wonder if it may be a hardware problem. 

And, yes, I toggled the switches on the back, rebooted, etc. 

Granted, it could possibly be a kernel problem, too, or maybe a specific package that both projects use, etc. That's why I decided to make this post: to see if anyone had already encountered something similar. Is it possible for an interface to be visible to the user despite not being functional? 

I'm completely clueless as to how to go about the troubleshooting process. Even on my desktop, I try to get wifi working as soon as possible with wpasupplicant and hastily push whatever I've learned into the recesses of my psyche when I'm done. So if there's any directions that I should follow, procedures, I'll try to do them.
I've had this recently on Mobian development branch (in the last few days, I think) - turn on wifi, scanning list is blank. Turning off and back on does nothing. Only thing that works is reboot. Mobian is still on 5.9 kernel.

I've just switched to UBports (kernelupgrade branch) - wifi was connected upon boot, downloaded and installed Ubuntu touch version 5. Wifi off and back on works ok. Same after reboot.

Not sure that helps as it's been intermittent on Mobian - that's what I use daily, though UBports is on the phone. UBports is 5.10 kernel for me.

Curious as to what might be happening as it is rather freaky when it happens. Hopefully someone can give you better pointers in terms of logs etc.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
Okay, I can confirm that the issue seems to correspond with the board. As I detailed in this thread, I got the upgrade board, and the wireless/bluetooth worked fine. At the least, the antenna seems to have always worked. Yay. Downside is, the new board won't stop making the phone vibrate, but it is functional, indicating that some kind of defect may have been induced on the old board. 

I'm curious whether or not there has been any revisions between the two versions that would have been made to prevent an issue like this. I might speculate that it could possibly have something to do with the power supplies I've been using, possibly? I haven't been super scrupulous, so the voltage/amperage may have been more than I should have been using, as I've been swapping between many power bricks. I don't really know how all that power stuff works with usb-c. Maybe that's an absurd thing to say.
(02-25-2021, 04:09 PM)acohl Wrote: Okay, I can confirm that the issue seems to correspond with the board. As I detailed in this thread, I got the upgrade board, and the wireless/bluetooth worked fine. At the least, the antenna seems to have always worked. Yay. Downside is, the new board won't stop making the phone vibrate, but it is functional, indicating that some kind of defect may have been induced on the old board. 

I'm curious whether or not there has been any revisions between the two versions that would have been made to prevent an issue like this. I might speculate that it could possibly have something to do with the power supplies I've been using, possibly? I haven't been super scrupulous, so the voltage/amperage may have been more than I should have been using, as I've been swapping between many power bricks. I don't really know how all that power stuff works with usb-c. Maybe that's an absurd thing to say.

This fixed things for Mobian / Plasma Mobile for me:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid87988

Not sure about Ubports and systemd but worst case you can reload the Realtek wifi / bt manually via command line.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
Do you know what was going on before it stopped working?

I have seen this happen after using the hotspot feature on Nexus 5. Or switching off airplane mode on other devices.
Rebooting seems to bring it back when that happens to me though.
Or double-check that wi-fi is enabled.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: WiFi driver is broken - Unload kernel module to save lots of power Trbl 3 3,913 06-23-2021, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Merc
Lightbulb MACtrack: Track MAC addresses to their street address using WiFi (Phosh Desktop App) RTP 2 2,635 04-10-2021, 11:16 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Use of Wifi vs. Mobile Data kqlnut 1 2,502 01-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Wifi configuration for Pine phone suren21 10 12,144 04-25-2020, 01:14 AM
Last Post: suren21
  GPIO Kernel Module Foxchild 5 6,872 03-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine