How to boot from SD
Hi guys

I just received my PinePhone and one the first things I like to do is replacing the current operating system (Manjaro) with Mobian. So I googled up the instructions and ended up at
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=install. I am using the JumpDrive method as it sounded the most comfortable but I am kind of stuck. I managed to flash the JumpDrive image to an SD card using Balena Etcher. But according to the instructions I am supposed to boot the phone from SD next. But I have no clue how to do that. I read somewhere it is supposed to boot automatically when I insert the SD in my phone, which I did. But nothing happens. I also checked the SD card for damage, but that is not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,
TheBoneJarmer
(12-17-2020, 09:58 AM)TheBoneJarmer Wrote: Hi guys

I just received my PinePhone and one the first things I like to do is replacing the current operating system (Manjaro) with Mobian. So I googled up the instructions and ended up at
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=install. I am using the JumpDrive method as it sounded the most comfortable but I am kind of stuck. I managed to flash the JumpDrive image to an SD card using Balena Etcher. But according to the instructions I am supposed to boot the phone from SD next. But I have no clue how to do that. I read somewhere it is supposed to boot automatically when I insert the SD in my phone, which I did. But nothing happens. I also checked the SD card for damage, but that is not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,
TheBoneJarmer

If you flashed Jumpdrive correctly, then insert that SDcard in your PinePhone, switch on the phone and you will be presented with the Jumpdrive screen on your phone. If this does not happen then 99.9% likely your flash of Jumpdrive is bad. Once Jumpdrive boots OK you can plug a cable between your PC and the phone and flash from your PC to the eMMC.

(See also the wiki here at Pine64.)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Some people haven't been able to boot from cards written by Etcher, but have had success using other software to write the card. It's not clear if this is a problem with a specific version or operating system, or even user error.
If you're comfortable working from the command line in a Unix/Linux shell, "dd" works really well for flashing SD cards, but you'd better be REALLY certain you're writing to the correct device. (The thing about dd is that it's an old school Unix command which adheres to the ancient Unix philosophy of giving users enough rope to hang themselves.)
(12-18-2020, 11:21 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: If you're comfortable working from the command line in a Unix/Linux shell, "dd" works really well for flashing SD cards, but you'd better be REALLY certain you're writing to the correct device. (The thing about dd is that it's an old school Unix command which adheres to the ancient Unix philosophy of giving users enough rope to hang themselves.)
I tried dd at first, but Pinephone couldn't read the SD card, so I used Etcher instead (which then worked).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Boot screen stuck at 'K' because of firmware deleted. poundantisec 9 5,001 08-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone won't boot. spha 12 2,465 08-20-2023, 02:44 AM
Last Post: spha
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
  UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) megous 182 240,241 03-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Eugo
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 8 5,094 02-03-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dante404
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,301 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
  Tow-boot on Pinephone beta edition saddamus 10 5,083 09-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: saddamus
  Boot problem: wrong screen orientation Jetpac 6 3,651 07-18-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: fravoi
  Tow Boot - How to Flash a New OS? arkadione 3 2,640 06-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Last Post: kmsgli