Needed basic Info on using Webcam on PBP
Using Manjaro Plasma KDE
When I install Cheese from the Add Software option and then start Cheese, I get the No Device Found screen.

I could use a basic primer on how to get access to the webcam so that it works.
Would prefer GUI approach, however, CLI is fine.
Ed
First check to see if the web camera is seen by the OS. I'd normally use "lsusb".

If it is not seen by the OS, then it's probably the privacy switch. I didn't remember which one that is, but checking the Wiki;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Privacy Switches

Let us know the results.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(12-15-2020, 12:13 PM)Arwen Wrote: First check to see if the web camera is seen by the OS. I'd normally use "lsusb".

If it is not seen by the OS, then it's probably the privacy switch. I didn't remember which one that is, but checking the Wiki;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Privacy Switches

Let us know the results.
I ran the lsusb and no joy on webcam, reviewed and implemented the privacy switches in the Wiki.  Then the lsusb shows the webcam, progress there.  Restarted PBP.
Went to Applications and started Cheese.  No errors noted, however, no picture available either.  Removed Cheese, Restarted.  Installed Cheese from Flatpak, previous was from Official Repositories.  Restarted.
That worked !
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Ed
Glad I could help.

With the unusual privacy switches, it's almost as if we need the keyboard labeled a bit with the extra functions. Sometimes new Pinebook Pros have come from the factory with one or more of the privacy switches engaged. Since the current action behavior is stored in EEPROM on the keyboard controller, it does not mater which OS you use. Or which boot device you use. That's both good, but confusing to new users.

One note about the webcam, it's not a great device. Usable is the best said about it :-). However, for the cost of the Pinebook Pro, it's good enough in my opinion.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(12-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Arwen Wrote: That's both good, but confusing to new users.
Something that could be improved would be to connect the privacy switch lines also to GPIOs on the SoC.  That way software on Linux could detect "Webcam disabled" and display a message.  Same thing with integrating the wifi off with the Linux rfkill system.

It's probably possible already though the keyboard controller firmware too.
"Cheese" may not be your best option because is for GNOME. It works but it requires a bunch of (otherwise useless) dependent packages. I can recommend "Kamoso" for KDE.

[Image: 5095f4254bc5887f4ccaa807279fbd45-full.png]
Cheers!
(12-17-2020, 12:56 PM)xyzzy Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Arwen Wrote: That's both good, but confusing to new users.
Something that could be improved would be to connect the privacy switch lines also to GPIOs on the SoC.  That way software on Linux could detect "Webcam disabled" and display a message.  Same thing with integrating the wifi off with the Linux rfkill system.

It's probably possible already though the keyboard controller firmware too.
I did put in a feature request of the alternate keyboard firmware that would allow a verbose "lsusb" against the keyboard controller to list the current status of the privacy switches. This would be possible now, without hardware changes. However, Jack's alternate keyboard firmware is not yet complete. It works reliably and does allow some key language changes, and other things not available with the Pine64 version. But, it would be helpful to have the full source capable of being compiled.

One minor issue with the keyboard firmware, (Jack's or the Pine64 version), is that the trackpad sends out packets that aren't needed. (At least that is my understanding.) This can cause issues with Linux kernel drivers, so a work around was implemented. My thought was to have the keyboard controller detect such useless packets and toss them away. Thus, reduce the packets seen by the Linux side. Later if we can, change the trackpad firmware to fix this issue.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Webcam not working in pinebook pro with Manjaro jcarball 2 3,066 04-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jcarball
  Built-in Webcam Not Working fozzedout 36 41,038 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Last Post: lemaurien19
  webcam photo solid gray stozi 0 1,505 01-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Last Post: stozi