Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(04-06-2021, 04:22 PM)kop316 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 03:42 PM)bitsandnumbers Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 09:30 AM)blendergeek Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:52 PM)kop316 Wrote: I was additionally wondering if I do Issue 6, then does it make sense to then bake in SMS functionality as well (Issue 7). I am not convinced I should do that. Right now I am thinking mmsd should only focus on MMS (it is called mmsd afterall), and SMS sending/recieving is much more  straight forward with modem manager. But, I figured I should write it down and think about it anyways. If I did add it, it would be a user option as well.

Ideally, in my mind, this is how it _should_ work. There should be one "mms-smsd". Every application that wants to send a "message" should go through the one daemon. This way, applications will neither know nor care whether it is an SMS or an MMS. The application just passes the message to mmsd and mmsd figures out how to send it.

Eventually, mmsd will support RCS as well in my fantasies ...

I don't understand everything about your work here @kop316 , but as an adept of the KISS principle, I can only adhere to what @blendergeek is suggesting. One could argue that KISS would be having one daemon doing one thing and doing it good, but MMS/SMS are pretty much the same thing, one being just richer than the other (at least from an end-user POV, also when you use SMS/MMS, you usually use the other), so one daemon managing both does not bother me here. And it would also save nights for future devs wanting to make SMS/MMS clients I assume... I'm not technical on the matter though, so I'm just giving my Linux user opinion.

Hello,

Fair enough, I do appreciate it! I think first on my list is finishing the auto processing of SMS WAPs then looking at what is involved for just general SMSes.

EDIT: while I was looking through the APIs for SMS on modem manager, I actually think that modem manager supports SMS very well, and I don't see anything that mmsd would really add with general SMS support. As such, I think I am just closing that issue.

That's a good thing, it means that your work will focus only on MMS and can only bring a better MMS daemon Smile Again, thank you for your work !
So some fun news on mmsd!

I now made mmsd be able to process SMS WAPs without the need for purple-mm-sms or Chatty. Previously, I had mmsd depend on chatty/purple-mm-sms to process SMS WAPs (this is the first step in recieving an MMS). With the new code, it can do that itself and download MMS by itself. It saves it in a folder (but it is the whole payload), and has a dbus notification that makes it easy to parse (you can make a python script to parse them).

You do have to manually enable the setting in the settings file and restart mmsd.

Also so you know (if this was not obvious), mmsd alone fully supports sending MMS (i.e. group chats, attachments, etc.)! mmsd has always supported sending MMS. It is just also a daemon that can send them. You can see an example on how to do it here:
https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/blo...nd-message
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/purple-mm...ote_132496

This method of sending works for both Group MMSS, attachments, and a mix of!

So in other words, mmsd/modem manager fully supports MMS (though not in a very user friendly way).
(04-07-2021, 08:09 PM)kop316 Wrote: So some fun news on mmsd!

I now made mmsd be able to process SMS WAPs without the need for purple-mm-sms or Chatty. Previously, I had mmsd depend on chatty/purple-mm-sms to process SMS WAPs (this is the first step in recieving an MMS). With the new code, it can do that itself and download MMS by itself. It saves it in a folder (but it is the whole payload), and has a dbus notification that makes it easy to parse (you can make a python script to parse them).

You do have to manually enable the setting in the settings file and restart mmsd.

Also so you know (if this was not obvious), mmsd alone fully supports sending MMS (i.e. group chats, attachments, etc.)! mmsd has always supported sending MMS. It is just also a daemon that can send them. You can see an example on how to do it here:

So in other words, mmsd/modem manager fully supports MMS (though not in a very user friendly way).

Hey man, this is good news! I've been away for awhile and will not be able to get back into things for a couple weeks but I'm happy to see you're still hard at work!!

Will MMSD clean up the WAP messages on the modem or will chat apps have to clean up MMS messages from both MM and MMSD?
(04-08-2021, 09:54 AM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 08:09 PM)kop316 Wrote: So some fun news on mmsd!

Hey man, this is good news! I've been away for awhile and will not be able to get back into things for a couple weeks but I'm happy to see you're still hard at work!!

Will MMSD clean up the WAP messages on the modem or will chat apps have to clean up MMS messages from both MM and MMSD?

mmsd will clean up the WAP messages. In this mode mmsd is assuming no help from any other application to send or recieve MMS (aside from Modem Manager of course).
My fork of mmsd is now in Alpine Linux Edge! So if you are on PostmarketOS Edge, you can download it as if it were any other package.

The SXMO folks are also interested in integrating MMS support into SXMO, and with this, (I think) their job is a lot easier.
Also, Someone suggested to make a dedicated channel for MMS on Matrix/IRC channel, so I did. You can find it on:
#opensourcemms:matrix.org (Matrix)
or #opensourcemms on Freenode IRC

The two are bridged so you can join either way.
Hi @kop316 ,

Hope it's OK to post this here. I don't ever use MMS, but I do have a problem with some SMS's (which maybe invalid in some way?). Auto generated SMS's, e.g. bank logins, usually never arrive (although they occasionally do). They come through fine if I put my SIM in an Android phone.

sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms says No sms messages were found
They are not displayed in chatty, and are not in chatty-history.db.
sudo -u mobian dbus-monitor --system "type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.Messaging'" nothing appears like it would for a 'proper' SMS

Is there anything in your set of changes that I could try out to see if it helps? Anything else I can try?

Many thanks
(04-25-2021, 04:06 AM)moodroid Wrote: Hi @kop316 ,

Hope it's OK to post this here. I don't ever use MMS, but I do have a problem with some SMS's (which maybe invalid in some way?). Auto generated SMS's, e.g. bank logins, usually never arrive (although they occasionally do). They come through fine if I put my SIM in an Android phone.

sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms says No sms messages were found
They are not displayed in chatty, and are not in chatty-history.db.
sudo -u mobian dbus-monitor --system "type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.Messaging'" nothing appears like it would for a 'proper' SMS

Is there anything in your set of changes that I could try out to see if it helps? Anything else I can try?

Many thanks
Hello,

You are welcome to post! Unfortunately nothing I have can help on that. Though that is odd you don't see them. I would suggest asking the modem manager devs, especially if you have a log.
Has anyone used this successfully on arch linux?

EDIT: I think I've isolated my issue to another piece of software.
I'm late to the party here, has anyone tried this with Verizon? Or this fix carrier agnostic?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,357 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 911 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,543 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,885 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,066 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,580 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,187 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,239 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,023 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,625 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel