Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(02-14-2021, 06:59 PM)mort_jack Wrote: Thanks for your hard work on this! I unexpectedly had to start using the pinephone as my main phone and this has been a life saver! It's great to see this coming together so well! There are obviously a lot of rough edges with MMS right now, but I'm just glad to get them and appreciate your (any everyone else's) hard work!

Hello!

Thank you for your kind words. I have been really excited with how this has come together! I am hoping that MMS will be ready for daily use sooner than later. So far mmsd has been pretty stable! And I have been working with the chatty dev to get MMS support ported into chatty. Others have been working to get support for other programs based on mmsd.

If I could ask the folks that read this:  does anyone have experience with how to scale videos within glib (in a C program)? I am working on allowing chatty to scale pictures and videos so they can fit in a chat, but I am not sure how it'd work with videos.

If anyone has ideas I would welcome them!
(02-14-2021, 04:47 PM)kop316 Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 03:16 PM)bitsandnumbers Wrote: Hi,

I've setup mmsd as per Mobian's wiki (https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=mms), but the example modemmanager settings don't show exactly how to use the APN's proxy. I understand I put the proxy's IPTongueORT, but my provider also need username and password.

So "CarrierMMSProxy=" is the option for proxy, what are the ones for username and password ?

I've looked on internet and modemmanager man pages, but I cannot find this information...

Thanks

My intuition tells me that if you are logged in properly on your mobile data (i.e. phosh has all of that information), you will be fine (i.e. mmsd does not need this information).

If you find that is incorrect, please let me know!

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed 4G is working fine. So should I remove the content of ModemManagerSettings altogether, leave it how it is with the proxy's ip:port, or replace this information with NULL ?

As an educational purpose, do Phosh gather all necessary information from my provider at the moment I get mobile data connection, or does it have a database with all settings from all providers ?

Thank you for all this work btw, this is very very appreciated !
(02-15-2021, 11:38 AM)bitsandnumbers Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 04:47 PM)kop316 Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 03:16 PM)bitsandnumbers Wrote: Hi,

I've setup mmsd as per Mobian's wiki (https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=mms), but the example modemmanager settings don't show exactly how to use the APN's proxy. I understand I put the proxy's IPTongueORT, but my provider also need username and password.

So "CarrierMMSProxy=" is the option for proxy, what are the ones for username and password ?

I've looked on internet and modemmanager man pages, but I cannot find this information...

Thanks

My intuition tells me that if you are logged in properly on your mobile data (i.e. phosh has all of that information), you will be fine (i.e. mmsd does not need this information).

If you find that is incorrect, please let me know!

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed 4G is working fine. So should I remove the content of ModemManagerSettings altogether, leave it how it is with the proxy's ip:port, or replace this information with NULL ?

As an educational purpose, do Phosh gather all necessary information from my provider at the moment I get mobile data connection, or does it have a database with all settings from all providers ?

Thank you for all this work btw, this is very very appreciated !

You will need to set up the "ModemManagerSettings" as described in the wiki (or the mmsd README). You just don't have to worry about a username nor a password.

>As an educational purpose, do Phosh gather all necessary information from my provider at the moment I get mobile data connection, or does it have a database with all settings from all providers ?

Yes, they use an upstream package: https://github.com/GNOME/mobile-broadband-provider-info . My goal is to have the OS directly control the mmsd settings so when this is more mature, it should be filled out in the OS's settings (it can be controlled over the dbus, so it is DE neutral. Phosh would have it done in their settings app)

>Thank you for all this work btw, this is very very appreciated !

Thank you for the kind words. It has been a lot of work but a lot of fun too! I am hoping it will be mature sooner than later.
I am still eagerly awaiting my PinePhone to arrive so that I may also jump into the fray.  Big Grin

Until then, I also wanted to thank you, kop316 (and testers), for your work on this!  I think MMS functionality is probably one of the most important things to be working on right now, in fact the final piece of the puzzle for many people to be able to pull the trigger on getting a PinePhone (seeing as how all other basic voice, data, SMS, tethering, etc. seem to be working).  So thanks not only for your work but also for choosing to work in an area which, IMO, has a critically important (outsized) impact on the whole nascent Linux phone ecosystem!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-16-2021, 03:16 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I am still eagerly awaiting my PinePhone to arrive so that I may also jump into the fray.  Big Grin

Until then, I also wanted to thank you, kop316 (and testers), for your work on this!  I think MMS functionality is probably one of the most important things to be working on right now, in fact the final piece of the puzzle for many people to be able to pull the trigger on getting a PinePhone (seeing as how all other basic voice, data, SMS, tethering, etc. seem to be working).  So thanks not only for your work but also for choosing to work in an area which, IMO, has a critically important (outsized) impact on the whole nascent Linux phone ecosystem!

Thank you! The good news is support into chatty is very close to being finished, so I am hoping it will be out sooner than later.
I have been playing around with Android Messaging a bit more, and I noted that their size limit seems to be closer to 1.1 Megabytes, so I have changed the defaults in mmsd to change that (though once again, you can change it yourself if you so choose!).

I also added some smarts to MMSD. It now knew if it was disconnected or reconnected to data, but now I am letting it auto send and recieve messages when it knows it is connected. One neat side effect is that if you are having issues sending/recieving, you can actually go in and turn off and on mobile data in Phosh, and mmsd will automatically retry any unsent/unrecieved messages. This is also a user setting, so if you don't like that, feel free to disable it.

Also, something interesting I have learned about the MMS specification. Contrary to how it is widely used today, you can send almost any file over MMS. It handles PDFs, Word Docs, even arbietrary binary files (I have sent and recieved these all of these over MMS!). Android messaging on the other hand.....does not like being sent some of these as I have found out. I am wondering if the reason is partically if I am not sending SMIL with my MMS, but I have not figure dout SMIL for chatty. Android Messaging will send them, but it seems to not like attempting to display/save them.

I am, however, able to send and recieve all of these files just fine on Chatty! Mind you, a functional front end doesn't exist yet, but I don't see a reason for Chatty to not support it (especially in light if it supporting Matrix).
So I'm pretty excited about this! I finally have a fully working reference implementation of MMS with chatty! All that is left to do is to help incorporate it into chatty with the developer.
If anyone wants to take a look at the reference implimentation, I posted it here:

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/chatty/-/t...mm-account

I cannot overemphasize this, THIS IS BETA! Do not expect to be able to compile it and expect it to work flawlessly. There still is work needed to integrate it into chatty and make it ready for day to day use.

I also refactored all of the mmsd patches so they are not all over the place. Everything should work the same, but if not, let me know.
(02-17-2021, 12:22 PM)kop316 Wrote: Also, something interesting I have learned about the MMS specification. Contrary to how it is widely used today, you can send almost any file over MMS. It handles PDFs, Word Docs, even arbietrary binary files (I have sent and recieved these all of these over MMS!). Android messaging on the other hand.....does not like being sent some of these as I have found out. I am wondering if the reason is partically if I am not sending SMIL with my MMS, but I have not figure dout SMIL for chatty. Android Messaging will send them, but it seems to not like attempting to display/save them.

That is indeed, interesting.  Personally I am of the mind to speculate something along the lines that they would rather you use their "cloud" services, instead of making something available that might otherwise be supported by the protocol.  But this is just one of many, many, many reasons why we I feel we are ripe for an actual, no-BS, GNU/Linux phone.  As then we will no longer be beholden to the current duopoly and their "business models."

An additional aside, our experience here (with MMS in particular) has been so bad, that I set up my own XMPP server on a small Single Board Computer and it has been running absolutely flawless for some years now.  More reliable in fact, than our carriers' MMS which are quite often delayed, if they ever arrive at all.

So I cannot help but wonder, how much an improved client might improve the situation.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-18-2021, 08:46 AM)Alkop316 Wrote: If anyone wants to take a look at the reference implimentation, I posted it here:

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/chatty/-/t...mm-account

I cannot overemphasize this, THIS IS BETA! Do not expect to be able to compile it and expect it to work flawlessly. There still is work needed to integrate it into chatty and make it ready for day to day use.

I also refactored all of the mmsd patches so they are not all over the place. Everything should work the same, but if not, let me know.

Thank you so much for all the work you have put into this!

I use pmOS. Will I be able to use the existing merge request over at pmaports to build the latest mmsd for phone? Or do I need something different with the latest patches?

Also, is it possible that I will be able to return to "stock" Chatty at some future date without reinstalling? (I know I would lose my SMS history. I'm okay with that).

Also, I can't wait to try this out and use it as my daily driver (I know it isn't release quality yet but I currently download my MMS by hand so anything is better than what I have right now.) ! I will be sure to report all the bugs I come across so that this can be gradually improved.

PS: Where should I report bugs if I find them?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,117 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 813 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,464 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,716 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 2,934 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,479 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,116 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 125,901 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 1,943 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,521 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel