Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(01-15-2021, 02:46 PM)Rey Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 02:21 PM)kop316 Wrote: With the help of Mr. Sadiq of Purism, I have made a bit of progress on getting chats to work on chatty. This is a WIP branch to help me figure out how to properly add chats and buddies onto purple-mm-sms:

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-...e/wipchats

The good news, if you use this, the chat not only shows up, but you can click on it and it opens! The bad news is, when you close it, the chat disappears until you get sent a new SMS. I think it's because something is wrong with adding it to the account, but I am not sure.

Once I can figure out why the chat disappears when I close it, I can work to integrate this into purple-mm-sms, which has most of the hooks for both sending and recieving group MMS.

Just so I am clear, purple-mm-sms is updated and I should install the updated using the link above?

I have Chatty built from source and can provide the debug logs. Oddity, when I restart Chatty from the cli I watch mmsd process a new request, when I run an md5sum on the file it is the same as the previous file it downloaded into the /home/manjaro/.mms/ folder. So it appears it keeps downloading the same file as the md5sums match for everyone that is downloaded.

I try to keep the main tree of purple-mm-sms in a usable state (the mmsd) tree. But the tree there is NOT one you want to try unless you are trying to help fix the chats issue.

As to your second paragraph, I am not sure what's happening? Maybe a log would help me understand.
Hello All,

I believe I alluded to this before, but in case not: in talking to Mr. Sadiq of Purism, purple-mm-sms is going to get absorbed into mm-account for chatty:

https://source.puri.sm/mohammed.sadiq/ch...mm-account

The primary motivation behind this is to help get around the limitations of the libpurple APIs (of which I have been having troubles with myself). The good news is he is saying that sooner than later, chatty will be usable for MMS!

But also as a consequence, it doesn't really make sense for me to develop for purple-mm-sms much anymore (unless what I work on here directly also benefits Chatty development too), and future development work will go more directly into chatty and mmsd. I have learned in purple-mm-sms how to send and recieve MMS, and many of my problems with purple-mm-sms development primarily stem from the limitatiions in the libpurple API, not in MMS development. I will leave up what I have, but please don't expect much more development from me in the standalone purple-mm-sms (unless what I work on directly also benefits Chatty development too). The good news is 80-90% of what is in purple-mm-sms will be ported over to chatty, and if there is work on purple-mm-sms, it will benefit chatty too!

mmsd will still be standalone, and will still be worked on too.

I say this in the interest of being transparent to folks watching this. Although it means that there won't be much progress in purple-mm-sms for a bit, the benefit is that MMS will be much more functional in Chatty sooner than later! When I have something usable for chatty, like purple-mm-sms, I intend to post it here, and have a way for folks to test/help with it.
I am on the hunt to fix a few of the outstanding mmsd issues.
  • I fixed an annoying issue with mmsd on its dates. I mmsd closes/the system is restarted, mmsd forgot the dates of the MMS and reports them all at the start of epoch time. That bug was fixed!
  • Also, someone reported that they could get MMS with an IP only proxy, but the issue was on the purple-mm-sms side. Some testing to figure this out would be welcome!
That leaves one annoying mmsd issue that I intend on solving this week (dbus not updating)
Well it seems like today has been a really good day bug hunting within mmsd. I have been able to solve every bug that I can reliably reproduce, making mmsd much more stable for usage.

The one outstanding issue is whether mmsd works with MMS proxies that are IP addresses only. I have had someone test this issue on AT&T (change the domain to the IP address manually), and they reported success with mmsd, but said there may be an purple-mm-sms issue.

However, in either case, I unfortunately cannot test this issue. If someone can hunt down this issue (and find a fix, or show me where the fix needs to go), I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: so there is another outstanding issue, and that deals with suspending the actual modem. I see where it needs to go, but I can work on it later/tomorrow.
(01-19-2021, 11:54 AM)kop316 Wrote: The one outstanding issue is whether mmsd works with MMS proxies that are IP addresses only. I have had someone test this issue on AT&T (change the domain to the IP address manually), and they reported success with mmsd, but said there may be an purple-mm-sms issue.

However, in either case, I unfortunately cannot test this issue. If someone can hunt down this issue (and find a fix, or show me where the fix needs to go), I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey, Canadian here, From looking though this thread I believe the problem is with Telus? I have a Telus SIM and the PMos Community Edition PinePhone. I'll play around with it this week/weekend.

Don't get too excited though, I'm more of Intermediate Linux Admin than a Dev. I've only really compiled a handful of things from source so it may take me a bit to get to a point where I can troubleshoot. I'm very interested in learning and helping though!
(01-20-2021, 07:58 AM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:54 AM)kop316 Wrote: The one outstanding issue is whether mmsd works with MMS proxies that are IP addresses only. I have had someone test this issue on AT&T (change the domain to the IP address manually), and they reported success with mmsd, but said there may be an purple-mm-sms issue.

Hey, Canadian here, From looking though this thread I believe the problem is with Telus? I have a Telus SIM and the PMos Community Edition PinePhone. I'll play around with it this week/weekend.

Don't get too excited though, I'm more of Intermediate Linux Admin than a Dev. I've only really compiled a handful of things from source so it may take me a bit to get to a point where I can troubleshoot. I'm very interested in learning and helping though!

Hello from your neighbor south of the border! You are correct, the reported issue was with Telus.

I should have all of the instructions up on the first post ro get you up and running to debug. From another user (who emulated the conditions with AT&T USA), it seems that it may not be with mmsd itself, but some interaction between mmsd and purple-mm-sms.

And if you are interested in learning and helping, I am happy! If you need any help, feel free to reply here or in the pmOS matrix chat. There's a few folks that are using the mmsd stack in there.
(01-20-2021, 08:09 AM)kop316 Wrote:

Hello from your neighbor south of the border! You are correct, the reported issue was with Telus.

I should have all of the instructions up on the first post ro get you up and running to debug. From another user (who emulated the conditions with AT&T USA), it seems that it may not be with mmsd itself, but some interaction between mmsd and purple-mm-sms.

And if you are interested in learning and helping, I am happy! If you need any help, feel free to reply here or in the pmOS matrix chat. There's a few folks that are using the mmsd stack in there.

Yeah man, I want to build a Chatty <-> Matrix integration for the PinePhone and it's going to support MMSes so I need to start here. I hate picking up my phone to reply to people when I have 2 computers in front of me already... I already have something for Ubuntu Touch and ofono on my Nexus 5 Smile

I'm at work for the next ~7 hours (and really shouldn't be on here) but I'll get started after. I'll join the Matrix group around then too. Cheers.
(01-20-2021, 08:42 AM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 08:09 AM)kop316 Wrote:

Yeah man, I want to build a Chatty <-> Matrix integration for the PinePhone and it's going to support MMSes so I need to start here. I hate picking up my phone to reply to people when I have 2 computers in front of me already... I already have something for Ubuntu Touch and ofono on my Nexus 5 Smile

I'm at work for the next ~7 hours (and really shouldn't be on here) but I'll get started after. I'll join the Matrix group around then too. Cheers.

So depending on what you want to do, I want you to be aware of a couple of things:

- mmsd does not need chatty to work, that is just the higher level application I have been working which since I want chatty to support MMS. You can write your own program to process SMS/MMS (or MMS only) and it can work with mmsd
- Purism is working already to support matrix into chatty. As soon as they have a stable codebase, my goal is to then integrate MMS more fully into chatty.

So with more stability, comes more testing, which discovers more bugs. I have reworked mmsd and the modem manager plugin a bit more. The primary feature added is the modem manager plugin can much better handle if the modem is disconnected from mobile data, and a program can activate mmsd to process messages waiting to be sent/recieved manually! This is really good news to make mmsd handle real life scenarios.

Until I/someone else discover more bugs, the only outstanding issue is the MMS proxy issue.
(01-20-2021, 09:21 AM)kop316 Wrote: So depending on what you want to do, I want you to be aware of a couple of things:

- mmsd does not need chatty to work, that is just the higher level application I have been working which since I want chatty to support MMS. You can write your own program to process SMS/MMS (or MMS only) and it can work with mmsd
- Purism is working already to support matrix into chatty. As soon as they have a stable codebase, my goal is to then integrate MMS more fully into chatty.

So with more stability, comes more testing, which discovers more bugs. I have reworked mmsd and the modem manager plugin a bit more. The primary feature added is the modem manager plugin can much better handle if the modem is disconnected from mobile data, and a program can activate mmsd to process messages waiting to be sent/recieved manually! This is really good news to make mmsd handle real life scenarios.

Until I/someone else discover more bugs, the only outstanding issue is the MMS proxy issue.

So, if I understand you correctly https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/tree/ModemManager is the service that I'm going to talk to over DBUS to send SMS and MMSes. We're relatively certain this is okay with the MMS proxy via IP but it needs to be confirmed.

Then, on top of that, This guy https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-...demManager hooks into Pidgin and will do the needful. This also needs to be tested and confirmed to work.

Eventually you're/someone is going to take the work with purple and merge it into chatty so that MMSes work there too.

Eventually Matrix messages will show up in Chatty, Purism is already working on this.

My plan is to take SMS/MMS messages from DBUS (be it OFONO or MM) and bridge them into Matrix. This way I can use Element on my PC to talk to people over SMS messages (like messages.google.com for android but for the PinePhone). I'll do this after I help you troubleshoot MMSes on Telus.

I'm in both the Main and Dev pmOS chat rooms now too.
(01-20-2021, 10:56 AM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:21 AM)kop316 Wrote: So depending on what you want to do, I want you to be aware of a couple of things:

So, if I understand you correctly https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/tree/ModemManager is the service that I'm going to talk to over DBUS to send SMS and MMSes. We're relatively certain this is okay with the MMS proxy via IP but it needs to be confirmed.

Then, on top of that, This guy https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-...demManager hooks into Pidgin and will do the needful. This also needs to be tested and confirmed to work.

Eventually you're/someone is going to take the work with purple and merge it into chatty so that MMSes work there too.

Eventually Matrix messages will show up in Chatty, Purism is already working on this.

My plan is to take SMS/MMS messages from DBUS (be it OFONO or MM) and bridge them into Matrix. This way I can use Element on my PC to talk to people over SMS messages (like messages.google.com for android but for the PinePhone). I'll do this after I help you troubleshoot MMSes on Telus.

I'm in both the Main and Dev pmOS chat rooms now too.

> So, if I understand you correctly https://source.puri.sm/kop316/mmsd/-/tree/ModemManager is the service that I'm going to talk to over DBUS to send SMS and MMSes. We're relatively certain this is okay with the MMS proxy via IP but it needs to be confirmed.

mmsd only deals with MMS. Modem Manager deals with SMS. A third party program (right now that is purple-mm-sms) has to act as the "glue" between mmsd and Modem Manager. I designed mmsd this way because I wanted to be agnostic of what program actually works with mmsd and Modem Manager, and not try to have mmsd have to fight with a third party program.

> Then, on top of that, This guy https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-...demManager hooks into Pidgin and will do the needful. This also needs to be tested and confirmed to work.

Yep! Although in talking to Purism, they are absorbing purple-mm-sms into chatty directly due to libpurple limitations (limitations I have run into as well). I am helping so thay can absorb the MMS portion.

> Eventually you're/someone is going to take the work with purple and merge it into chatty so that MMSes work there too.

My aim is to make it work with Chatty only. I only worked with libpurple, as that is their current implimentation.

> Eventually Matrix messages will show up in Chatty, Purism is already working on this.

Correct!

> My plan is to take SMS/MMS messages from DBUS (be it OFONO or MM) and bridge them into Matrix. This way I can use Element on my PC to talk to people over SMS messages (like messages.google.com for android but for the PinePhone). I'll do this after I help you troubleshoot MMSes on Telus.

It may be a bit more complicated than that if you have chatty running. I do not know all of the details though. If chatty could control that, that'd be an awesome feature though!

> I'm in both the Main and Dev pmOS chat rooms now too.

Great! I actually didn't know there was a dev channel, I am just in general. EDIT: I joined the dev channel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,123 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 816 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,464 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,722 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 2,934 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,479 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,120 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 125,950 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 1,943 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,524 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel