Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
What's the proper way to get `mmsd-tng` working with `chatty`? I can install both from the appropriate source branches, but if i run `mmsdtng -d` i see MMS arriving in the logs, but Chatty never notices them (there are some red lines in the logs about "failed to notify").
(08-26-2021, 11:00 PM)unduo Wrote: What's the proper way to get `mmsd-tng` working with `chatty`? I can install both from the appropriate source branches, but if i run `mmsdtng -d` i see MMS arriving in the logs, but Chatty never notices them (there are some red lines in the logs about "failed to notify").

@unduo You have to install this branch of chatty, which hasn't quite landed in the main source repo yet (though there's a PR). I think they may be waiting for inline image display, which still doesn't happen right now (received MMS messages are just links that you have to open in a different app to show images).

I highly recommend following the Mobian wiki page for this.
In the event you install the branch and update your MMS settings and it still isn't working, what worked for me was killing chatty with
Code:
killall chatty
kill is a few times until it says that the process chatty doesn't exist (or something like that) and then launch chatty again. This fixed MMS not working for me during my initial setup with Arch.
I would LOVE to test this, and I tried, but I'm having issues with the installation. I am sure it's user error as I can see from other's replies that it's possible.

I have the 3GB Pinephone, running the latest mobian unstable. I am on T-mobile in the US

I managed to get mmsd-tng installed from the repo, but when I run mmsdtng -d, I get an error that it lost Dbus.

I'm not too savvy with the phone os stuff, but have been a linux user since 2000 (win free since 2010). So if you have a tutorial that I can follow, I would sincerely appreciate it. What I can see so far is that this will be an amazing improvement for the pinephone, as well as many other linux phones.

Thanks for your hard work, and I hope to see a step-by-step so that I (an old guy) can help prove that ANYBODY can have mms on a pinephone Big Grin
(08-06-2021, 04:27 PM)lsitongia Wrote: Have any of the major distros picked this up and made MMS work in their regular distribution of their distro for the PinePhone?

As of right now Plasma Mobile (with their very fresh 21.12 release) ships it by default and the Chatty app is currently in Beta but will hopefully be out of Beta soon with 0.5.0 and that will have MMS by default.
(11-05-2021, 12:38 AM)NephreNeko Wrote: MMSD-TNG consistently reports "failed to handle incoming notification" regardless of OS or branch of mmsd-tng and chatty. Inspecting mmsd-tng shows that it "recieved SMS WAP", lists service data and len, shows "about to push notify", lists a pdu and len, and then lists a "mms_service_push_notify() followed by a series of dozens of capitalized numbers and letters, and then finally states mmsd-tng[4351] failed to handle incoming notification, which is what I presume is holding my phone back from receiving/sending MMS. 

I use ModemManager, Verizon, mmsd-tng, chatty, and do not use Ofono.

Hey, not sure if you've tried again recently since you posted this, but the issues with Verizon should be fixed. Also, as I'm also on Verizon, I had to set ForceCAres = true. Not sure if you'll have to, but it worked for me.
On a Phosh pinephone 2.1, mobian/bookworm, t-mobile.
Testing out chatty 0.5.0~beta3-1 (downloaded from debian experimental).

First setup the main configuration under 'Mobile Network/Advanced/Access Point Names'. Select the Plus button to add a new apn. I rebooted afterward.

A new apn entry will be created and selected, leaving the default available, but not selected.
Code:
Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.t-mobile.com

In addition, Chats has it's own settings under 'Protocol Settings/SMS and MMS Settings'.

I enabled 'Delivery Reports' and 'SMIL for MMS', although I'm not sure what they do.
There are three fields to enter information, mine only needed the first two:
Code:
mms: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobiles.com/mms/wapenc
apn: fast.t-mobile.com

(On the settings page the labels of the entry fields do not show due to the limited room of the portrait view. Change to the landscape view and they can be seen. The first one is for the mms entry and the second one is for the apn.)

After restarting Chats some old messages got brought in. Then I was able to send/receive images. One problem occurred, when I received an image I got multiple copies of the image and I have one report that a friend got multiple copies from me. Other than that, it works well.

Thank you to all those that have worked on this.

Source OnePlus-6t :
Code:
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/oneplus-6t/network-apn-and-volte-oneplus-6t#steps1

Update:

Currently I'm experiencing a couple of strange behaviors with the beta.

When I got a group text with three members, the text contained three copies of the message.

I sent an image to a recipient, which worked, except the image was doubled. After deleting that conversation, and creating a new conversation (to same recipient) I sent a text only message. The new message got the original image inserted after the text. That image continues to get inserted with each new text. I've deleted that conversation multiple times.

Update2:

I don't get a sent image when receiving group messages.

Modemmanager was the cause of the 're-appearing' image. I deleted the image files modemmanaager was storing and the image no longer gets inserted into new texts.
Not certain if this is a chatty issue or a mmsd issue. Noticed this over the last few versions anyway.
Just did a pull and build from https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/chatty.git and https://gitlab.com/kop316/mmsd.git on an up to date mobian install.

When sending an mms message with a large file / picture attached, messaging in chatty is stalled; presumably untill the file/picture finishes uploading. All messages stored during this time are sent / received as soon as the picture / file comes through. Not sure if attachment processing could be moved to a background process.

Another issue noticed (I am fairly certain this is a chatty bug, will make a gitlab issue). You can select and send a picture/file without adding text. However if you select the picture / file, add and remove the text, you can no longer send the picture / file.
Got MMS working for the first time on Manjaro with Phosh today and all I had to do was set the APN for MMS to nxtgenphone (case-sensitive) in Chatty. It seems to work more consistently than it did in Plasma Mobile which I tried on both Arch and Manjaro.
On Mobian/Posh, how does one enter the MMS port in the preferences page of the Chats app?

I have set up the APN as per Wiki and entered the MMSC address in the preferences page of the Chats app, but were goes "MMS port" and "APN type" which have been given to me by 3 support, as they asked for the phone settings to be updated.

Quote:Name: 3

APN: mob.asm.net

User name: [leave blank]

Password: [leave blank]

MMSC: http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc

MMS proxy: mms.three.co.uk

MMS port: 8799

APN type: internet + mms

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,410 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 924 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,555 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,915 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,089 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,599 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,205 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,665 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,044 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,641 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel